Poll: Fish per trip

my2labs
my2labs
Was wondering how many fish everyone is catching on their outings????
I've been really struggling over this last month.

I'll be the first to participate....

0/1 last 9 days out. Ouch! But it's true.....

How do you compare? What are your expectations....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
ChezJfrey
Expectation? Limit every trip!

I fall far short of that :)

Last 10 outings, I'm 3 for 4.

my2labs
my2labs
ChezJfrey said:
Expectation? Limit every trip!

HA!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I get busy in January and February so winter steelhead aren't my thing. I've only been out 5 times and they were all before January 5. My expectations are usually to get one or two. I usually leave town between 10 and noon so I'm never fishing more than 4 or 5 hours. I'm also fishing from a boat.

This years record...I think.

Skunk
0/1
Skunk
1/1
1/2

I'm curious to see what the good winter steelheaders are producing too.

my2labs
my2labs
I'm getting a drift boat within one year. I watch craigslist everyday. I can't wait to get to cover that much water.

O
OnTheDrop
That's a hard question. There's a lot variables to take into place.

To start, though, I ALWAYS believe I'm going to catch something each trip. Guided or unguided. Unfortunately, it's not always the case!

Water levels being one of them most prevalent variables for winter steelead..If it's on the drop for a few days, I always anticipate multiple hookups.
Then when the water gets low, I still expect hookups, just not as many.

Of course, there's other variables like weather, east winds, etc.

Over the course of January, my boat has seen two skunks, four 4-6 fish days, five days with around 10, and a handful of those amazing 20+ hookup days...

my2labs
my2labs
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Over the course of January, my boat has seen two skunks, four 4-6 fish days, five days with around 10, and a handful of those amazing 20+ hookup days...

I sort of hate you a little bit right now

hobster
hobster
I've had an on- off winter. Got my 1st in december and had a few skunks in early january. Did pretty well until the first rain, then i got off work and fished for 3 days 6 to 7 hours a day with no fish and just 1 or 2 hook ups. I couldn't belive it, thought the rain would help out a lot. Since then i've been out 5 times and have landed fish every time, limited out last monday and tuesday in a short time after getting off work early. On tuesday i hooked 3 fish in about an hour on a spinner, it was awesome! Haven't been out since, looking forward to the rivers getting back into shape :D I'd guess around 10/17 so far..........7 on the tag. I'm a painter so summers are crazy and winters are steelhead time :thumb: i usually get out about 3 times a week so my numbers are decent, but not great.

C
ChezJfrey
Here's a fun statistic:

2015 has me at 6 fish hooked so far.

3 on a spoon
3 on a fly

How's that for crazy? Am I falling for the 'dark side' :)

jamisonace
jamisonace
You asked for it! LOL

my2labs said:
I sort of hate you a little bit right now

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'll book you for a 20+ day. Haha

SteelmonKiller20 said:
That's a hard question. There's a lot variables to take into place.

To start, though, I ALWAYS believe I'm going to catch something each trip. Guided or unguided. Unfortunately, it's not always the case!

Water levels being one of them most prevalent variables for winter steelead..If it's on the drop for a few days, I always anticipate multiple hookups.
Then when the water gets low, I still expect hookups, just not as many.

Of course, there's other variables like weather, east winds, etc.

my2labs
my2labs
jamisonace said:
I'll book you for a 20+ day. Haha

Ditts. Lol.

Steelmonkiller which guide are you?

D
DrTheopolis
I've been 3 times this year, all with my buddy on his driftboat (I have no problem bank-ratting either, just haven't done it yet this year).

First trip, 1/2, big nate released.

Second trip, 3 of us, didn't touch a fish.

Third, 2/2, plus a big trout (giant smolt? Didn't take much of a look, released it quickly in the water... might have been the elusive Clackamas cutthroat).

If we're backtrolling, we pass OFF the rod equally, so I landed 2 of the 3 caught.

Hoping to get out this week again, if Mother Nature cooperates.

And yeah, I expect to hook up every time I go, which doesn't happen. During fall salmon, I expect took hook up several times a trip.

O
OnTheDrop
I charge double for those days, Jamie. : D

S
SmallStreams
4/4 in 5 weekends, 3 on jointed rapala and 1 on spinner. Doesn't count what turned out to be a late rosy coho that shook the hook and a spawned out coho buck that I could barely see his nose in undercut bank shadows (or else I wouldn't have bothered). There was also a small cutthroat (8") and a decent cutthroat (13"), both released unharmed.

O
OnTheDrop
Steelhead on a jointed Rapala? You sir, deserve an applause!

C
Camo
It;s been an average year for me until the rain blew out all the streams.

Released four (too dark)
Released one ( native )
Lost four (went and banged my head against a tree.....it helped)
Kept three

Please note; I'm retired so I get to fish almost every day!

:thumb:

S
SmallStreams
Camo said:
Lost four (went and banged my head against a tree.....it helped)

I've heard it also helps to hug the trees ;)

Camo said:
Please note; I'm retired so I get to fish almost every day!

Hmm, yes, I should probably qualify mine with "it's tough to fillet more than one fish per day"...

T
troutmasta
It all depends. When and where.

Coho-Usually like 80-90%
Steelhead-90% at the coast, 40% on Clack and Sandy
Fall Nook-50% of times.
Springers 60-70%

All these could be adjusted by only fishing the right conditions vs fishing every chance you get. IMO opinion of course

N
Native Fisher
I haven't been since december, but then it was 1 for 2, next trip was 2 for 2, 1 for 1, and 1 for 4. that last trip was dec 12th I think. Typically I'd have burned through at least 1 hatchery card by now...