Nehalem Bay jetty - inlet beach areas

T
Trout
Has anyone had any experience fishing these areas for rockfish - perch - or the other usual suspects ? From Google Earth it looks like a possible area for saltwater fishing.

P
PNW Sam
I read about the Nehalem Jetty area in an old 90's version of "fishing in Oregon". Seems like a better spot than Hobsonville (spelling?) Point in Tillamook bay, and they are both right on the highway. I'm really interested in this spot and I'm going to try it next time I'm out that way looking for elk.

Reactions: Drew9870
Irishrover
Irishrover
I have not fished from the jetties but I have fished for salmon between the jetties. The last time I was down there (October 17,18 and 19) there were a few folks fishing from the south jetty. I didn't notice if the caught anything, was busy runnning the boat. The south jetty looks very fishable as long as you don't venture out too far. No way I' go for the north jetty. I watch waves break over that thing all day long not to mention the north side is shallow with lots of sand. The south side is where the deeper water is and the channel. Good luck and be safe.

P
PNW Sam
Thanks for the tips Irish. Going to try it next time I'm over that way if the weather is somewhat decent.

B
Born2Fish55
PNW Sam said:
Thanks for the tips Irish. Going to try it next time I'm over that way if the weather is somewhat decent.[/QUOTE

Did anyone have any real luck off of the South Jetty? I have tried multiple times... lots of Kelp Greenling and a couple of Perch, but nothing else.

P
PARTYBOY
Drive further south and fish the north jetty at Barview County Park....good ling fishing and rock fish!

B
Born2Fish55
PARTYBOY said:
Drive further south and fish the north jetty at Barview County Park....good ling fishing and rock fish!

Barview is always good, especially at night... I keep hoping to find another spot close in that is easier for my less agile friends to fish from.
My favorite Jetties are Tillamook South and Columbia South, but not easy for some to access and fish!

B
Born2Fish55
Thought I might follow up for those interested...

I have walked in from a small parking lot on the South Jetty of the Nehalem, fished with both artificial lures and bait. Surprised once I located a couple of good holes (about five spots on the inside and one large area at the point on the outside). Mostly a Rockfish show with a few decent Lings, however did hook a big Salmon that decided to head for Japan... spooled me with 240 yards of 15# Spiderwire (stupid stuff wouldn't break - gotta love it!) and almost my rod and reel.

It is a bit of a walk in the sand with gear, but dooable for me with ease, however two of my fellow fishermen were worn out by the time we reached the fishery spots off of the Jetty. Picked up a few small Halibut and Flounder on sub-surface lures and jigs. Rubber jigs picked up multiple Rockfish and a couple of Perch. Bait show, using Clams, Kelp/Sand Worms, Mussels, Baitfish Fillets, and Small Crabs knocked everything on its butt... along with an amazing amount of large female Dungeness Crabs, with not a single one being a legal male so far!!!

I will not burn any of the spots, nor tell you which bait/lure/scent/color works best, but for those willing to work a little, it is a fun fishery. If you want a lot of keeper fish, are in really good shape, use common sense and don't mind a major workout, then go fish further North on the South Jetty of the Columbia. Same lures and bait work everywhere, but a walk out beyond the 'Dogleg' will pay off in spades on both inside and outside fisheries. I will burn this spot for you, on the Columbia fish the area that is located halfway between the 'knee of the dogleg' and the 'bellyout' toward the end of the Jetty (if you make it that far and are not breathing too hard to fish, I owe it to you to help out a little.

M
moosebrew13
Born2Fish55 said:
Thought I might follow up for those interested...

I have walked in from a small parking lot on the South Jetty of the Nehalem, fished with both artificial lures and bait. Surprised once I located a couple of good holes (about five spots on the inside and one large area at the point on the outside). Mostly a Rockfish show with a few decent Lings, however did hook a big Salmon that decided to head for Japan... spooled me with 240 yards of 15# Spiderwire (stupid stuff wouldn't break - gotta love it!) and almost my rod and reel.

It is a bit of a walk in the sand with gear, but dooable for me with ease, however two of my fellow fishermen were worn out by the time we reached the fishery spots off of the Jetty. Picked up a few small Halibut and Flounder on sub-surface lures and jigs. Rubber jigs picked up multiple Rockfish and a couple of Perch. Bait show, using Clams, Kelp/Sand Worms, Mussels, Baitfish Fillets, and Small Crabs knocked everything on its butt... along with an amazing amount of large female Dungeness Crabs, with not a single one being a legal male so far!!!

I will not burn any of the spots, nor tell you which bait/lure/scent/color works best, but for those willing to work a little, it is a fun fishery. If you want a lot of keeper fish, are in really good shape, use common sense and don't mind a major workout, then go fish further North on the South Jetty of the Columbia. Same lures and bait work everywhere, but a walk out beyond the 'Dogleg' will pay off in spades on both inside and outside fisheries. I will burn this spot for you, on the Columbia fish the area that is located halfway between the 'knee of the dogleg' and the 'bellyout' toward the end of the Jetty (if you make it that far and are not breathing too hard to fish, I owe it to you to help out a little.

Thanks for the great info. I am headed out there soon and was wondering what kind of setup do you use? What rod and reel and also how did you rig up the lines. Thanks in advance for the info.