Couple of buzzer beaters

R
RunWithSasquatch
Pretty sure this buckaroo was singing a tune in his head:lol:

Well I'm hot blooded, check it and see
I got a fever of a hundred and three
Come on baby, do you do more than dance?
I'm hot blooded, I'm hot blooded

IMG_1358.jpg

Heres the fruits of this years deer harvest.

I didn't hunt as hard as usual this year, and didn't get out as many days as I would have liked. Truck was MIA for a good portion of the season.

Time grew short, real short in fact, and I had not seen a shooter buck in legal hours.

This last Wednesday my dad called me up to let me know he took Thursday (yesterday) off and wanted to hunt for one last chance to put some meat in the freezer for him.

Turned out well for him, we got on a little buck at the 10am hour only about 1/4 mile in behind a gate. No hooter, but will fry nicely.:) Good justification for a days off work.

IMG_1350.jpg

So today, I woke with the last chance for adding to the freezer collection. Enlisted the help of partner Joel, and we set out at 6 am, for the same gated unit for a first light harvest.

About 4 miles before the gate I close the distance on another riggins, and was lucky enough to watch him park at the gate I was hoping for.:think:

Continue on up the road to some units that were further up the ridge, and end up playing chicken with loaded dump trucks about every 5 minutes in the process... all went well.:dance:

Reach the other units, and solid fog, and cold. 30 degrees. Work out along the ridge of the unit, able to see out to 100+ yards at times, and jumps 3 does out of a thicket right off the bat. Hunt that area for a while longer and get tired of being blind in the fog, and decide to head to new country.

In process, we drive by the gate that we wanted.... and no one was there:think: 10am at this point, and I don't hesitate to pull in. Work the unit, about a half mile in, and the fog begins to lift, and the sun begins to shine.

Find nothing of interest in the unit and head into the timber, fallowing stampedes of buck and doe tracks, criss crossing all over the dirt road. About another 1/3 of a mile in, we set up shop, check wind, and work the ticklers for a while, rattling, and listening. Give the stand about 30-45 minutes to develop, and dont like what we have going, so we close shop and head back for the truck, through the unit.

Soon as we leave the timber, flashes for white catch my eye, and am pleasantly surprised to find 3 deer about 50 yards up climbing there way up.:D

Joel and I get our bearings, and go to work checking heads... Doe... Doe... BUCK

He climbs a bit further, and decides to go side hill, and take a look at the yay-hoo's standing in the road.... Game over at 12:30 in the afternoon sun. 125 yards on the ranger finder.

:pray: Nothing like a last day of season buzzer beater.

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

Also not a heavy rack buck, but sure had a body. Had it cleaned, and the half mile to the riggins by 2pm, or just a little before.

Hung and cleaned by 4:30.

And I am out of the shower, and enjoying a cup of coffee by 6:30 ;)

Last edited:
S
Santiam338
Looks stinky

;)

S
Santiam338
I'm tuned...

C
capblack
i was wondering if you were gonna chime in. can't wait for the pics, dont keep us waiting too long!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Got her tuned up.

S
Santiam338
Glad I stayed tuned...Dandy buck...All the better last day and all..

Grats.

M
Mad dog
RunWithSasquatch said:
Got her tuned up.

Nice!!! That'll do!!! :clap:

R
RunWithSasquatch
Santiam338 said:
Glad I stayed tuned...Dandy buck...All the better last day and all..

Grats.

Yeah... the tuning took longer than expected....

C
capblack
congrats!! nice buck, i was trying to do the same thing today, but it just didn't come together for me this year, or last. i think i saw 5 deer this year total, probably 20 trips into the woods. i drew a doe tag even and couldnt find one the last couple weeks. oh well

R
RunWithSasquatch
capblack said:
congrats!! nice buck, i was trying to do the same thing today, but it just didn't come together for me this year, or last. i think i saw 5 deer this year total, probably 20 trips into the woods. i drew a doe tag even and couldnt find one the last couple weeks. oh well

Feast or famine... I just got lucky.I seen a whole lot more sign this last week, but I haven been able to find the critters making the sign. Good luck to you next year!

My "circle" has got a wazzu of late tags... and Ill make sure to post any hooters that get taken.

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice man way to get it in at the buzzer. Gonna do my first hunts next year. Been out a few times helping but not hunting. Curious what the first pic is and what you are saving?

C
capblack
they are the tarsal glands. they give off a strong odor

R
RunWithSasquatch
capblack said:
they are the tarsal glands. they give off a strong odor

Yeah, the deer actually pee on them while they rub them together, marking territory. They use them year round, but greatly increase activity while in rut. You can tell this guy has been gettin stinky.

A
alseaalumaweld
good 3x2 as far and 3x2s go

R
RunWithSasquatch
alseaalumaweld said:
good 3x2 as far and 3x2s go

Yeah, no complaints from me, especially the last day of season...

Heard 5 shots that morning, seemed like a lot of people were getting into deer.

N
nwkiller
awesome man!!!! i used to hunt more but may do some next year, havent had fresh venison in the freezer in a bit. nice buck!!!! when should i be expexcting some jerky....ill just wait here by the mailbox......lol

R
RunWithSasquatch
nwkiller said:
awesome man!!!! i used to hunt more but may do some next year, havent had fresh venison in the freezer in a bit. nice buck!!!! when should i be expexcting some jerky....ill just wait here by the mailbox......lol

Most likely no jerky this year!

... pepperoni and sausage though...

B
bigsteel
nice job sasquatch,,curious what you do with the deer hair?im running low for tying materials

R
RunWithSasquatch
bigsteel said:
nice job sasquatch,,curious what you do with the deer hair?im running low for tying materials

If I would have been given notice I could have gotten you a gallon bag full... that stuff comes off everywhere... but for now its all gone... next year I can get you a bunch...

If you're interested hopefully Ill be dealing with Elk hair this coming weekend...

N
natro
That's a nice looking 3x2 there, I'd be happy with that, nice job.