Siltcoos dam

F
Fish a holic
Anyone know how to find out when the dam will be open? I'm new to the forum, I got hooked when I read mikeredding (hope I got that right) post titled warning, although it created more questions than answers for me. I'm fishing with my kids, the youngest O couldn't understand why he couldn't fish for something else after catching a silver and to tell the truth I didn't have an answer for him.
Thanks for any help, Fish a holic

E
eugene1
hey fish, No idea how to figure that out either. I don't think the fishing is that dependent on the dam though. There's a bunch in there now...

International paper owns the dam and controls it. Maybe you could call them and find out? But really I'd just get your kids out there and give it a shot.

F
Fish a holic
Do you know if the kids can fish for sea runs IF they get they get there coho, not worth the ticket but they do get board if they tag out

E
eugene1
Fish a holic said:
Do you know if the kids can fish for sea runs IF they get they get there coho, not worth the ticket but they do get board if they tag out

Sounds like that might be legal, but I've never done it. Maybe don't have them keep using gear that targets the cohos or give odfw a call and see what they say. You also might get some nasty words with the other people fishing? Good to get your kids out for some fall fishing and the lake is sure a pretty place.

R
Renegade
I heard the guy that runs the dam will not even tell his buddies when he opens it.. I sat at Tyee three hours yesterday waiting and hoping they would open it,still not enough rain unfortunately..

R
Renegade
I gave a retired old timer my number and told him to call me when it opened and went back to work LOL

J
JeannaJigs
Dam schmam.

E
eugene1
Renegade said:
I heard the guy that runs the dam will not even tell his buddies when he opens it.. I sat at Tyee three hours yesterday waiting and hoping they would open it,still not enough rain unfortunately..

That's funny! must be a fisher too? I understand that about 3-4 inches of rain is needed to get it open..

brandon4455
brandon4455
eugene1 said:
That's funny! must be a fisher too? I understand that about 3-4 inches of rain is needed to get it open..

i see rain rain rain in the forecast for a while yes!!

T
Thuggin4Life
Classic.

As for fishing after limits. If you seriously aren't fishing for coho then it should be very obvious that you aren't targeting coho so there shouldn't be a problem. Might look funny though if there is still a rod out for coho but not illegal. Just be legit about it. I have caught sculpin on plug cut herring but I'm not gonna fish for sculpin on my heavy salmon rod with 40 lb test and some herring after I catch my chinook limit for the day just because my buddy hasn't limited yet. Though I might get bored and toss some dynamite overboard with limits for everyone in sight.

C
CoastieFlo
Call the Sportsman, the local sporting goods store here in town. They normally know if it is open or has been opened recently. Otherwise you could call me, and for a small fee I will drive down and check to see if its open :)

M
mikeredding
Fish a holic said:
I got hooked when I read mikeredding (hope I got that right) post titled warning, although it created more questions than answers for me. I'm fishing with my kids, the youngest O couldn't understand why he couldn't fish for something else after catching a silver and to tell the truth I didn't have an answer for him.
If you catch your adult Coho you can still fish for other species, just not Coho. Put the big rod, plugs and spinners away and get out the trout rod with light gear and no laws are broken.

It's the guys that immediately put the same "coho" gear back out, that are breaking the law.

J
jack_king
There is no "BIG SECRECT" as to when the dam will open or close. IP is required to keep the lake at a certain level by long-standing agreement with the State (Water Resources Dept) and Dunes City. The biggest secret is who is actually the person or persons that are doing the actual opening and closing, which for me, I could care less.

As of about 1:30 pm yesterday, the lake is about 4-6" from when the dam will open and coming up about an inch a day. With the rains predicted, we should see water flowing no later than Saturday. :D

When the dam is open, fish do come into the lake in larger numbers in a shorter period of time, but regardless, fish come up river EVERYDAY, dam open or dam closed. Yesterday morning for example, I SAW no less than 10 fish in just under 2 hrs. Your guess is as good as mine as to how many actually came up, but I'd bet it was FAR more than I saw!

I think the key here is not whether the dam is open or closed, but just getting out there, during favorable conditions (the lake is still a bit warm) :think:

D
DYJ
the big ones jump over the damn :lol:

J
jack_king
DYJ said:
the big ones jump over the damn :lol:
Actually, I think it's the jacks that jump the dam. At least that would explain why I've caught 6 of them little buggers in the last couple weeks!

F
Fish a holic
Thanks for all the help folks, as usual it comes down to common sence. Me and the kid, maybe Grand Pa are gonna head down Friday hopefully we can find a few biters

J
jack_king
Get here EARLY!! Me thinks it might get a bit crowded this weekend!

M
mikeredding
I will be there early as always. Usually first or second on the water.

T
Thuggin4Life
I might beat you there Saturday and Sunday. Or at least that's the plan.

M
mikeredding
Thuggin4Life said:
I might beat you there Saturday and Sunday. Or at least that's the plan.

Good luck on that one! You know I run out in the dark. Mostly so I can beat the boat ramp monkeys!!