First time was a success! I'm addicted.

L
LoganGressett
I've fished creeks and rivers pretty much all my life for trout but had never tried winter steelhead. It's been interesting me very much the past few months and so today I finally went out and gave it a shot! Using a bobber and jig/worm setup. After no action for the first 35 mins or so I had a little 8 inch or so trout take her down which was kinda cool and suprising lol. About 45 mins later, literally seconds after telling my buddy "watch this I'm about to hook a steely" my bobber dunks and my line takes off. Back and forth across the hole 2 or 3 times. Unfortunately I was standing on a big log jam and under it he want. reached a standstill with my line behind me and under all the logs when finally it snapped my leader. I was pretty upset but at the same time so excited to have hooked my first steely!

Went back to town dropped my buddy off, got a bite to eat and couldn't stop thinking about it so I went back out to another spot on the same river. After about 6 or 7 casts I put one right into the start of the rapids leading into a nice big hole. Floated for a second or 2 and bam, bobber down! This fish put on a show, flying out of the water 3 times and spinning twisting and taking line. Finally landed my first one! I was so stoked! A couple casts later in the same hole, bobbed down again this time it was a monster 18"-20" cutthroat. So then I moved upstream about 100 yards to the next spot I figured would hold a fish, a couple casts towards the middle, nothing. 1 cast into the start of the rapids and bam bobber down again! this time a beautiful chrome steely. All 3 fish within about 20 minutes. I couldn't have been more excited! And I cannot wait to get back out there! All 3 released unharmed.

20150202_165242.jpg

20150202_170048.jpg

20150202_171355.jpg

Reactions: bass
J
jesse202505
Nice job! specially for your first time. I only do that good for summers, for some reason winters make me work for them lol. try it again tomorrow see if it was beginners luck or you have it in you. tight lines

S
sapo
Wow!! Impressive.

C
ChezJfrey
Wow, that's quite some action for a day! Nice job out there and beautiful fish :)

S
SmallStreams
Congratulations, on some fine catches! May the skunk never catch you!

hobster
hobster
Very impressive! Amazing success for a 1st time out for sure. Nice fish, that is a beautiful cuttie, next time please don't drag him onto the rocks. Not trying to be a jerk, it just pains me to see natives on the bank.

bass
bass
Way to go!

T
Tacomasteelheader
You got good common sense, looks like you could become a good steelheader. Good job

B
bubs
This is obviously fake :lol:

L
LoganGressett
Thanks guys!! this is all I can think about! Went back out today and tried the same spot. This morning, no action. Went and tried a different river for a good 4 or 5 hours. My buddy hooked into one in the first 20 mins and it ran on him and snapped his line. So once again this evening last hour of daylight I went back to my successful stretch of river. Tried the couple holes I caught the 3 fish above in with no luck. Snagged on the end of a log and had to tie a new jig/worm on. Walked down to another good looked little hole, 2nd cast bobber went down right in front of me. Got a good look at him before he took 60 yards or so of line and went downstream through the next set of rapids. Thought I was gonna lose him several times as he put up a hell of a fight. Back and forth across the rapids, I only had bogs boots on so couldn't go anywhere, nearly fell in twice, arms burning. He finally tired out and I was able to slowly reel him back up through the rapids and got him to shore at my feet. Just as I'm about to reach for him he flops again and the hook comes out and he swam away. I was pretty bummed I couldn't get a picture and get a better look at him. He was a warrior. Big dark colorful native with a nice red stripe down the side and scars all over him. Bent my hook pretty good! I was very happy to end the day on that note though and not get totally skunked!! I have to go back to work the next 4 days so I'll be itching to get back out as soon as I can! Good luck out there to the rest of you!

IMG_20150203_195052.jpg

L
LoganGressett
Also about the cutthroat on the bank. I normally try to keep them in the water as much as I can but he was flopping all over the place and I was by myself so I kinda had to get him on shore to remove the hook and get a quick picture before releasing him. He swam away unharmed as soon as I dipped him back in :)

C
Camo
Sorry to say it Logan, but... YOU'RE HOOKED! Nice fish!
It's going to be all you think about, every stream you pass, eventually, a boat, then more tackle, then skipping work and school.....You start seeing steelhead in you're dreams. There's no escape!

my2labs
my2labs
Nice.
Not to be the pessimist (or realist lol) but..... Don't expect that every time!
Awesome day. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk