Hmm to buy or not to buy, and what?

T
the_intimidator03
Well I noticed that cabela's has the three forks/prestige plus combo's in the bargain bin. Trying to decide if I should pick up another 6wt to upgrade my dicks combo. Or if i should go with a 5wt or go bigger like 8wt for salmon/steelhead.

I swear too many choices. any idea's :rolleyes:

B
bigsteel
I would stick with a 5 wt for trout,,but ide save up a little more money and pick up an echo,,im not a big fan of cabelas rods

V
Van
I bought the Three Forks 7wt a couple months back. Rod action is good enough. However i am pretty disappointed that all the wood filler seems to be coming out of the crappy cork used. Dont think i will be buying another.

If you dont have a 5wt, definitely get that.

S
Spydeyrch
I would say to go with the Echo instead of Cabelas. Definitely go with the echo!! they make some nice rods!! My first (and second) rod was/is an Echo solo. It is a 9' 5wt. I love it!!! I used it a few weekends back on the Big D and got some nice trout with it.

Granted the Echo solo rod doesn't come with a reel, but for $99, you get a superb rod (sock & tube included) and a lifetime guarantee. You will need to get a separate reel but Echo sells those too, and they are pretty nice reels.

Echo is located just out of Vancouver, WA. When I snapped my first 9' 5wt 3 piece rod, I took it straight to them. Sweet little office they have there!! They said that they don't make the 3 piece rods anymore so they gave me a brand new 2011 model of the same rod: 9' 5wt 4 piece. New rod sock and rod tube too!! Plus they gave my kids free Echo frisbees and stickers!! Now that is awesome customer service!!! D

Good luck with which ever one you decide to go with.
-Spydey

S
Sinkline
Van said:
I bought the Three Forks 7wt a couple months back. Rod action is good enough. However i am pretty disappointed that all the wood filler seems to be coming out of the crappy cork used. Dont think i will be buying another.

If you dont have a 5wt, definitely get that.

Van, the cork dust (filler) will come out from any rod you buy. All rod manufacturers use less than perfect cork these days as premium cork is just not available anymore.

My three new rods are only a couple months old and almost all the filler is gone already.

Just to stay on topic, My friend Jim has some Cabelas rods that are decades old now and they have held together well, but some never did cast well. Of course not all rods from the perceived best manufacturers cast well either. You can always buy them, cast them, and return them if ya don't like them.

Randy

L
lilsalmon
Echo is going to be my next rod.......when I get a job. The 9' 5 wt would be your best choice. Course whenever I get a job I may have changed my mind....I can do that....hehe

S
Sinkline
lilsalmon said:
Echo is going to be my next rod.......when I get a job. The 9' 5 wt would be your best choice. Course whenever I get a job I may have changed my mind....I can do that....hehe

If I fished the small to medium size streams I see you guys fish I woud have a 3wt. myself. But then I really like to see the rod bend so I tend to fish lighter rods than the majority of folks. Smaller rods do have enough strength to fight larger fish quickly, the rod just bends harder into the butt.

Nice that we have choices so we can all select what best fits our own desires.

Randy

Reactions: beaverfan
L
lilsalmon
Sinkline said:
If I fished the small to medium size streams I see you guys fish I woud have a 3wt. myself. But then I really like to see the rod bend so I tend to fish lighter rods than the majority of folks. Smaller rods do have enough strength to fight larger fish quickly, the rod just bends harder into the butt.

Nice that we have choices so we can all select what best fits our own desires.

Randy

Your so right Randy. If my job is really really good I will have both. Right now I have a good rod (thank you Randy) that has caught a lot of fish and new line on my old reel.....was playing with it out in the driveway and now want to get on the water with it.......

T
the_intimidator03
the part of me who loves light tackle kind of wants to scream 3 or 4 wt. Lilsalmon has seen my ability or lack thereof with my 6 wt LOL I also saw the temple fork outfitter lefty krey series one for about 90 bucks.. rod alone

G
GDBrown
lilsalmon said:
.....was playing with it out in the driveway and now want to get on the water with it.......

You get OFF that driveway with that line this instant! Never practice over a rough surface as it damages the line dragging across the asphalt or gravel. Always practice on grass!

Now that I've chastise you when are we going fishing again? :lol:

I love my little 3/4 wt rod and will be using it this afternoon down on the Wilson. I'll also have the 5wt and the 8wt as I might see some larger fish in the holes down low and I want to swing some flies really bad right now.

GD

M
Markcanby
I will never fish a 5wt again!! They just suck. To heavy for small waters an light flies but to light for streamers unless you want to kick around trolling. 4wt and 6wt is teh best way to go in my opinion.

V
Van
Sinkline said:
Van, the cork dust (filler) will come out from any rod you buy. All rod manufacturers use less than perfect cork these days as premium cork is just not available anymore.

Sure i understand that, but i have to say the cork in my Sage Flight is multiple grades better. No holes that required filling. In the 3 Forks rod i got shipped to me there is one large hole in the cork in particular that really bugs me.

F
FlyBum
I must say, for myself, I'll typically only fish two different weight rods on a regular basis. A 4wt for Trout and a 7wt for Steelhead and Bull Trout. For my needs those are the most versatile. Just sayin. :)

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
I must say, for myself, I'll typically only fish two weight rods on a regular basis. A 4wt for Trout and a 7wt for Steelhead and Bull Trout. For my needs those are the most versatile. Just sayin. :)

i use a 4wt for trout cause its in between and perfect, casimply because i dont want to use a 5wt on a little stream but i dont want a 2-3wt for a big river. so 4 is just right if you ask me

T
the_intimidator03
well. I am leaning on the 3wt by cabela's three forks/prestige combo since its in my budget with everything. can't really afford to buy a better rod such as temple fork or echo altho it would be nice. i figure my current 6 wt could be used for larger trout and maybe steelhead if I choose to target those.

L
Lamzy
My favorite rod/reel combo is a Anglers Roost 4/5 wt,10ft carbon rod. 10wt Crystal River line and a Greys reel.
I know you are going to say I am over loading the rod but it works really well for me.
I have two Greys reels with 8 spools so I have a good slection of lines.
KiltedBob

T
Tribal16
the_intimidator03 said:
well. I am leaning on the 3wt by cabela's three forks/prestige combo since its in my budget with everything. can't really afford to buy a better rod such as temple fork or echo altho it would be nice. i figure my current 6 wt could be used for larger trout and maybe steelhead if I choose to target those.

I have that combo i have only used it 4-5 times but i love it. I have put in in the cieling fan and dropped it down some cliffs/rocks and its still in one peice. I caught some pretty fat fish with it as well. Its a awesome rod/reel for 60$. You can really feel the fish. I have fought many trees with it and it still lives. Really can't complain for the price. However i did sub the line with a rio line. They give you to much backing for a 3wt so make sure your paying attention when your putting it on ;)

I have never used a really nice rod so i wouldn't be able to tell you. But its a major upgrade on my southbend model =). Sure made casting easier

Last edited:
J
joesnuffy
I have3 Cabela's fly rods. Ones an 6wt ones and 8wt and the other is a 13ft spey.

I like all 3 rods.

T
the_intimidator03
Well im sitting here ready to order. running little options through my head going nuts LOL

T
the_intimidator03
Well. I opted for the 3wt and got a couple other supplies. NOW i gotta go find some fishing to do once the gear gets here