First winter on the swing...ever...

C
ChezJfrey
And it's gone.

Took a couple hours around noon and was swinging a black/blue leech with my new-to-me switch rod and got hit by a freight train today. The swing was ending and suddenly, my rod tip doubles down and the reel started screaming. Yee haw, fish on!

This fish made into my backing...twice, as it made another finger-burner run after I had reeled it all back to me. We both fought valiantly, for what seemed like 10 minutes, though I'm sure it was more like 5 ;)

Then, mysteriously this ~30-32" steel warrior, spit the hook within 10 yards of me. Those ninjas and their bag of tricks...I tell ya.

S
Stonefish
Good job on hooking up.
Seal the deal on the next one.

R
Rmacneil656
I swung up a lot of dry line Deschutes steelhead. Chased them many winter days with sink tips before I started getting grabs. Congrats!

T
troutmasta
ChezJfrey said:
with my new-to-me switch rod and got hit by a freight train today.

Sounds like a salmon:lol:

Nice Job!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent...

C
ChezJfrey
Rmacneil656 said:
I swung up a lot of dry line Deschutes steelhead. Chased them many winter days with sink tips before I started getting grabs. Congrats!

I've only nabbed a handful of summers on the fly, but felt like an obligation to at least try winters. Got the switch a few months back along with a few sink tips and finally get a hefty grab today that stayed stuck for what seemed like an eternity...and somehow manage to lose it anyway, LOL.

But, there a couple spots I know that are just built for the swing and fish hold there, so I felt it was only a matter of time :) Now just have to entice another...

M
mahucaro
Congrats.
I lost one on the Wilson a while back. Best feeling aver and biggest frustration too.

hobster
hobster
Great job hookin one, sounds like you had a great fight which is the most fun part anyway. They are sneaky, makes you wonder how they become unhooked after hanging on so long, hook must get the right angle and *pop* You should be super stoked none the less.

my2labs
my2labs
I haven't caught a Steelie on a fly since I was 17 years old. Nothing like that screaming reel as the chrome ghost flys into the air and into our stupid, never gonna stop casting hearts all in an attempt to feel those incredible runs. Congrats. Keep at it. I'm in the market for a spey rod soon as my single hander seems less than ideal on our rivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J
JonT
Welcome to the party!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Good story, I've had an 8 wt. for a couple of year's now. Not sure I know how to use a sink tip, I think Don at River city Fly gave me some sink tip line not sure if I still have it. I still haven't used it (the 8 wt) I know I have a fear of the unknown.....guess it's time to get over it and get out there.

Dana

R
Rmacneil656
ChezJfrey said:
I've only nabbed a handful of summers on the fly, but felt like an obligation to at least try winters. Got the switch a few months back along with a few sink tips and finally get a hefty grab today that stayed stuck for what seemed like an eternity...and somehow manage to lose it anyway, LOL.

But, there a couple spots I know that are just built for the swing and fish hold there, so I felt it was only a matter of time :) Now just have to entice another...

All tell you my little secret. IMO All water is good swing water if you adjust your setup correctly. If you believe its a fishy looking spot, well then give it a shot!

B
bigboy70
You guys shoulda heard the phone call I got lol told you buddy me first!

C
ChezJfrey
Ha! Vengeance is mine! The second and third winter did not escape so easily...

Hit the river for a couple hours midday and two for two on the swung fly :)

IMAG0033.jpg
IMAG0037.jpg

my2labs
my2labs
Pretty fish dude!
I'm debating about getting a Spey or a center pin to add to my arsenal. Eventually I'll have both but it's tough to decide which one to go with first. Gotta admit, those fish aren't helping the center pin idea much......

C
ChezJfrey
my2labs said:
Pretty fish dude!
I'm debating about getting a Spey or a center pin to add to my arsenal. Eventually I'll have both but it's tough to decide which one to go with first. Gotta admit, those fish aren't helping the center pin idea much......

Fly is a riot...especially the way I do it ;)

The first fish, I swung through the likely spot to no avail. Worked more and more distance, until satisfied, then down a few steps, intending to cast the same distance out, but swing further down. But, I lose the anchor and flub the cast. The power lost, the fly only flips out about 15 ft. from me, perpendicular from shore.

My motto is always fish out a lame cast anyway. I have all this extra line that I dropped from my fingers and I rapidly strip it all up and with just a little tension, aim to swing this little bit when I see the line was not moving. I pull the rod tip a little and feel hung up. Lever the rod all the way over and pull some with my stripping hand...fish on! LOL

Second fish, I launch the cast and as the running line is flying through the guides, it knots around one of them...crap! The fly of course hits the water and starts the drift/swing and while I'm picking the lightly knotted line out of the guide, I feel the swing hold up weird, pull rod...then fish on!

I'm 'guide status' lol...frickin' hilarious.

my2labs
my2labs
Better lucky than good.
I've hooked many a steelie on the fly, though it's been a number of years and I have never once even picked up a spey rod before. The casts are beautiful though. Sometimes I stop fishing and just watch good Spey casters in awe.
I'm jealous......

My problem is that I want too many things..... Man.... I want everything. Spey, center pin, a drift boat, 2 smaller pontoons etc etc.... My list never ends. And that's just for fishing.... I hunt waterfowl too lol

J
JonT
Twice this winter I've had grabs while 1) checking my phone and 2) lighting a stogie... You never know!

hobster
hobster
Nice fish, that top one is a fatty. Congrats on the first winters on the swing!