Never do this!

my2labs
my2labs
Reorganizing my garage last week, I stumbled across a 7' Invincible Pro Staff 6-12 weight rod that I didn't even know I had. I thought I'd pair it with some crappy old reel I had laying around until I decided on a float rod to get. I rummaged through my fishing totes and found some old no name reel that I had not used since who knows when. I put them together and bamm…..temporary second steelie rod.

To premise this, I should let you know that I am a crazy person about having the correct gear. I don't ever require the best gear but I think that there is a distinct difference in quality between some gear and others. I spend hours prepping before each fishing season and don't think of much else in between trips. I have an excellent casting rod and have been debating between float setups for a few months now. I do all the little things like oiling my reels, checking my line before each trip etc etc. Okay…back to it.

So I head out to the river today with my casting rod and my temp. rod from the garage. I planned on tossing spoons in between jig runs and decided to rig the temp up as my float rod because I wanted the feel of my casting reel for lures. About my 5th cast, bobber down! I set the hook. The fish rolls and shows it beautiful chrome tail and head and then takes off. Next thing I know…SNAP!!!!!

I didn't change the damn line on the old reel. I was so concerned with how the crappy gear was going to perform that I didn't change the line. It broke right in the middle of my main line.

Who does that?

Never do that!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
a worthy warning to us all, perhaps the river will repay you with some good fortune on your next outing...

E
eugene1
Ahhhww, Not a bad trip!

Perhaps look into braid for your reels that see lots of downtime?

my2labs
my2labs
I don't plan on using that set up long enough to put braid on it. :)

T
Toyracer38
That sucks. But even if you did replace your line, tie on a bumper line with a double uni knot and the knot fails on a nice fish. It still feels the same. Won't tell ya how I know. :D

B
BaldTexan
I moved to the NW last year from the south and having been having to learn new tactics for new to me fish as the different seasons roll around. I go out a couple of weekends ago for my first steelhead attempt. Found a spot where I had some elbow room (no easy feat on the coastal river banks). Within a short time I hook a really nice. We had a great tug-of-war for a couple of minutes. the fish gets PO'd when it gets close to the bank and takes off on another run. POP! Line slack. Dangit! New braid, new leader. How could it snap? I reel in the slack line to see absolutely no leader evidence. I my haste to change my setup on the bank, I didn't check my knot! I lost my first steelhead hooked because my leader came untied! Rookie mistake!