<sigh> Last trout trip to the N. Santiam

L
lilsalmon
Bigsteel and I hit the N. Santiam for trout for the last time this year......:(. We went up high to one of our favorite spots and Dave got this nice stocker

6293439645_a9e1d85ae3_z.jpg

We then headed down and found some real nice water where I got this beautiful stocker
6293439879_c4bd649c8f_z.jpg

and this white fish on a dry fly
6293964762_101a3b65e5_z.jpg

Checked out a couple other spots and then headed to the LNF.
6293440753_3f9ec0b567_z.jpg

The level was a lot higher from the last time we were there. We each got one at the first stop. The last stop Dave headed upstream and I fished my pool. I got one there and Dave got 5. Not sure if he got pics or not.

It ended up to be a beautiful day for our last trout trip of the season......oh but other streams and rivers are waiting....hehe :dance:

brandon4455
brandon4455
what??? whitefish on a dry? see, dave is a liar he told me it's not possible!!! :lol: nice job guys beatiful fish. im hoping to go fish tomorrow and monday to end the season. monday marks a sad day..gunna have to chase winter steel for a while :|

Last edited:
Reactions: lilsalmon
L
lilsalmon
It was in a pretty fast current and it got sucked under.....hmmmmm still took it though.

S
Sinkline
Ol' man Winter is on his way. Glad you two got in a fun last regular season trip!

Randy

B
bigsteel
that was an awesome trip found a new spot and hit all the old ones before winter sets in,,,,that was great seeing the whitefish take the dry fly,I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT IN MY LIFE

Brandon shhhhhh

M
markasd
Nice catches! Been wanting to hit lnf for a while... my favorite time of year up there.

L
lilsalmon
markasd said:
Nice catches! Been wanting to hit lnf for a while... my favorite time of year up there.

no giggles and splashes, fall leaves falling, fish....heaven

M
mrlindeman
Fishing on the north has been pretty dry the last 3 weeks. I know the upper north is still hot. I noticed that down into the Minto and packSaddle areas the trout have moved and been heavily replaced with smolts. Very nice catches guys! Was it dries only or did you get a chance to do any subsurface fishing? I have been curious as to what flies those trout passed detroit like to nibble on :)

J
JeannaJigs
I never think about the end of trout season, the idea of a season ending and being closed seems so weird because there's no end to salmon and steelhead. Sounds like yet another good trip. I have an 8 weight now...steelhead? oh yes....you guys need to help a 'tard out with that one.

T
Thuggin4Life
Sounds like you guys had a blast. I never think about trout ending either because i mostly troll for them and i can fish year round around here in the lakes. dont do much river trouting anymore. and then the lakes i fish that have seasons there are plenty of other fish to be caught during there off time. crazy i ussually think of runs and when the fish are in or not. not really when the seasons are. like jeanna said there is an ongoing salmon steelhead season somewhere in oregon and you add in some trouting and there just no limit to where and what you can do. I love this state/ Great pics. this is a cool time of year to be out in the outdoors.

V
Van
Looks like a great time. One of these days i am gonna have to go fish that river.

brandon4455
brandon4455
JeannaJigs said:
. I have an 8 weight now...steelhead? oh yes.....

start fishing in december..all you need is a strike indicator a split shot, a heavy heavy nymphs and egg patterns mini bobber fishing :lol:

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
Van said:
Looks like a great time. One of these days i am gonna have to go fish that river.

I like the North Santiam....its close and has a lot of good places to spend a day. But, I also like the Mac, Deschutes, Crooked, Upper Willamette, Nestucca, and oh, the Williamson.....of course.