Tillamook jetty...

F
Fishpdx
Hey guys, Im going to tillamook on sunday-monday and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions , It's my first time fishing on tillamook jetty.
I will be trying to catch some surf perch,rockfish,lincod,greenlings . And I know rockfish,lincod and greenling is good at the jetty. But where can I catch surf perch? Does the ocean side of the jetty work for perch? I need some places to fish. Thanks . I will post some pictures if I catch anything.

F
Fishpdx
Well Got skunked at the Jetty Monday morning. Came there at 6:20 it was still dark, so waited till start of sunrise and fished till 10:00, used jigs, tried bottom fishing using octopus legs,squid,clams,worms. Not even one bite. I know I fished when it was low tide but still not even one bite. The waves were huge and the current the big too, I needed to use huge weights. There was also lot's of debris out in the water which sucked because it would get stuck in my line. So I got skunked there and went to Oceanside park near netarts and tried to catch some surf perch. Again the waves were huge , but I fished on high tide and ended up catching 2 6-7 inch perch. They were biting really good its just every time I would start reelin them in the waves would just break them off my hook. So didn't take any pictures because I let them go, and beside who takes pics of small baby fish (embarrassing to post)

B
Born2Fish55
Try again once the water settles down... the Tilly Jetty has some really good fishing... Rockfish & Ling up close to the rocks... Kelp Greenling and Cabezon out on the bottom of the channel in the Kelp and Cabbage on the Bayside between the Jaws.... Surf Perch all around with some nice ones on the Oceanside, fish the sand bottom for Flounder. Lots of other fish from time to time as well... Salmon, Skate, Mackerel, Sharks, Pacific Cod, Eels, Squid and others.

G
goodie619
can squid be caught from there?

B
Born2Fish55
When the warmer current runs in close to shore, we can hook into Humbolt Squid from the end of the Jetty... it is a night fishing experience when they are there using Squid Jigs... I have also heard of Octopus being caught but have never been given the pleasure of inviting one home for dinner. I have Poke Pole fished many Jetties and caught them, just never at Tilly.

Reactions: goodie619
B
backcountryhunter
Think like a fish... would you want to be out and about in that rough stuff? No and neither do they. Fish the slack tides when the water is calmest. Also go to the Barview store and ask the owner what is hot to trot at the moment and do exactly what he suggests..

B
Born2Fish55
backcountryhunter;n601847 said:
Think like a fish... would you want to be out and about in that rough stuff? No and neither do they. Fish the slack tides when the water is calmest. Also go to the Barview store and ask the owner what is hot to trot at the moment and do exactly what he suggests..

I will normally fish the Incoming tide and the Slack at both end...sometimes I will flip big Spinners and Jigs into the channel and bounce them back into the Rocks... Lingcod and some of the other more aggressive species will still be active during Outgoing, just a lot harder to entice into a strike. No matter what the water condidtions, Jetty fish will always be present hiding out of Harm's Way in the Jetty rocks and debris.

D
DrTheopolis
Born2Fish55;n601853 said:
I will normally fish the Incoming tide and the Slack at both end...sometimes I will flip big Spinners and Jigs into the channel and bounce them back into the Rocks... Lingcod and some of the other more aggressive species will still be active during Outgoing, just a lot harder to entice into a strike. No matter what the water condidtions, Jetty fish will always be present hiding out of Harm's Way in the Jetty rocks and debris.

I haven't fished there much in recent years, but I'll second this. I've never had much luck on spinners (and I'm a diehard spinner chucker), but jigs have always produced. I can go all over the map with sizes and weights, just depends on the line you're using -- a 3/8oz tossed in the rocks right below you and fluttering works, and won't hang up in the rocks as much. Or like B2F recommended, out past the rocks into the sand (which will occasionally hook a skate, at which point you need to clamp down on your spool and break it OFF, or bye-bye line -- you're not landing it), then bounced back up the rocks will hook fish. High slack is usually best, but it's not like the fish leave. And night time with a lantern/spotlight on the surface of the water will slay them. Remember that the fish move up and down the jetty, so sometimes waiting for them to come to you can be effective. Lots of smaller rockfish, and every once in a while, something tries to rip the rod out of your hands -- good times.

In winter, stay safe -- don't go out to the end of the jetty (I'll stay where the rocks meet land, often near the first parking lot) and stay well above the water. Later in the year, it's not quite as dangerous to get a few feet closer to the water, depending on how far out you go -- towards the tip is always dangerous (but doable outside of winter).

Fun place to fish, with plenty of room for everyone.

B
Born2Fish55
DrTheopolis;n601863 said:
I haven't fished there much in recent years, but I'll second this. I've never had much luck on spinners (and I'm a diehard spinner chucker), but jigs have always produced. I can go all over the map with sizes and weights, just depends on the line you're using -- a 3/8oz tossed in the rocks right below you and fluttering works, and won't hang up in the rocks as much. Or like B2F recommended, out past the rocks into the sand (which will occasionally hook a skate, at which point you need to clamp down on your spool and break it OFF, or bye-bye line -- you're not landing it), then bounced back up the rocks will hook fish. High slack is usually best, but it's not like the fish leave. And night time with a lantern/spotlight on the surface of the water will slay them. Remember that the fish move up and down the jetty, so sometimes waiting for them to come to you can be effective. Lots of smaller rockfish, and every once in a while, something tries to rip the rod out of your hands -- good times.

In winter, stay safe -- don't go out to the end of the jetty (I'll stay where the rocks meet land, often near the first parking lot) and stay well above the water. Later in the year, it's not quite as dangerous to get a few feet closer to the water, depending on how far out you go -- towards the tip is always dangerous (but doable outside of winter).

Fun place to fish, with plenty of room for everyone.

Totally agree with the High Slack being the best, the Night fishing utilizing light bringing them in and above all.... Stay Safe!

Fishing mid point and beyond is some excellent water, but it takes a lot of 'Common Sense' and 'Respect for the Ocean'... I have seen people out where I like to fish with children and no PFD's... I have seen people catching a quick nap lying on a rock almost out at the end of the Jetty. If you're fishing out there, you have to stay alert and keep an eye on the water.

D
DrTheopolis
I couldn't agree any more. In winter, a PFD is't a bad idea for anyone.

B
Born2Fish55
DrTheopolis;n601870 said:
I couldn't agree any more. In winter, a PFD is't a bad idea for anyone.

I wear a Mustang Inflatable both Winter and Summer when fishing in the Surf, Rocks or Jetty... and when on Rock or Jetties, went in one time with my waders on without one...NEVER AGAIN! Really didn't thing I would ever get back onto the sand. I also wear Tungsten Cleated boots.

G
geo85
We always fish high tide at night for black rock bass limit out every time..make sure to use lantern and have head light if you do go during night time..use super flukes, grubs, laser minnow and crankbaits..all mostly white and silver color with shining flakes..best time to fish is 1 hour before high tide to 1 hour after high tide..the higher the tide the better the fishing..weather does play a role too..Best is to go out on clear sky if not shine some light in the water..They come out to attack these little fish at night not sure what those fishes are..

• IMG_0901.PNG
D
Dastanli
Nice, I was there last friday doing 2 hours before high tide into slack. Couple guys next to me were using sand shrimp and crankbaits. They didn't get a thing. I was slamming fish every 2-3 cast using swimbait. Ended up donating them to the guys when I left. What rods do you guys use. I been using a gx-2 ultra light 7 foot rod since last summer with 15lb braid. I think a medium light rod would work a tad better for the lingcods that I had a hell of a time trying to stop from swimming into the rocks, it was heart pounding, half excitement and half anxiety. I just really love using light tackle and seeing that rod bend. Ultra light rod is perfect the rock fish family and everything else in the rocks beside lings. I am thinking of trying out my medium rod that I use for steelhead next time and see if I have the same amount of chest pounding fun.

B
Born2Fish55
I have been catching fish off of the Jetty using some 'Glow in the Dark' Grubs or Mullet... scented heavy with Pro-Cure Flounder Pounder or Menhaden.... stinks, but they seem to really like it.