Elk-Sixes River

C
Coastaldweller
This just in: ODFW does NOT expect any Salmon or Steelhead to return to the Elk or Sixes river until atleast 2015. All anglers are recommended to fish elsewhere and not bother with these body' of water.

Good luck guys, take care.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Bummer

Bummer

i saw that same report...bummer but true. One might try Washington waters instead.

Coastaldweller said:
This just in: ODFW does NOT expect any Salmon or Steelhead to return to the Elk or Sixes river until atleast 2015. All anglers are recommended to fish elsewhere and not bother with these body' of water.

C_Run
C_Run
Coastaldweller said:

Yup, that's sad. Going to be down there next month but will surely drive right by. Maybe try for some surf perch.

T
Thuggin4Life
I heard there were fish there already???

J
jawjacker
Ill be down there next month slaying hogs that don't exist have fun catching surf perch or fishing up in Washington LOL! You guys are halarious!

R
RunWithSasquatch
jawjacker said:
Ill be down there next month slaying hogs that don't exist have fun catching surf perch or fishing up in Washington LOL! You guys are halarious!

Make sure you leave room for me.

J
jawjacker
Make sure you leave room for me.
Sounds like we will have plenty of room to fish for the next couple years RWS. Might even get to sleep in to a decent hour before we scour every hole. I can't wait. It's to bad they nocked the limit down to 1 keeper a day Elk or Sixes. Must be an attempt to flush more boats through the system quicker or something.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I can't say what it will be like when you get down there but two days ago there were 54 ppl fishing shoulder to shoulder at the mouth. I'm guessing that sleeping in won't figure into the equation if you want first shot at any holes once the imaginary fish move up.

jawjacker said:
Sounds like we will have plenty of room to fish for the next couple years RWS. Might even get to sleep in to a decent hour before we scour every hole. I can't wait. It's to bad they nocked the limit down to 1 keeper a day Elk or Sixes. Must be an attempt to flush more boats through the system quicker or something.

T
Thuggin4Life
i have pics on my phone of 2 of these mithical chromers.

J
jawjacker
i have pics on my phone of 2 of these mithical chromers.
Well say it isn't so. Don't be shy I'm sure we all wouldn't mind a peek at a few mythical chromers.

P
plumb2fish
fly flossed.jpgmosd sent these just to rub it in....sinking fly line....a gear chucker would get called a flosser....I couldn't resist flipping him crap.....I'm just jealous

T
Thuggin4Life
Picture must have been upside down on my phone. Remember no fish so stay home.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Fly guys are the best flossers! :D It works wonders on reds in alaska.

D
Drew9870
I always wondered why Salmon ''bite'' best on the swing ;), ironically it's usually in a nice tailout or just sweeping the whole river.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
I always wondered why Salmon ''bite'' best on the swing ;), ironically it's usually in a nice tailout or just sweeping the whole river.

drew, although there is some truth to this doesn't mean all fish on the swing are flossed. ive caught plenty of trout on the swing where i got a violent take instead of it just stopping in the middle of the swing. when you are swinging and it randomly sticks then it might be a flossed fish.

D
Drew9870
brandon4455 said:
drew, although there is some truth to this doesn't mean all fish on the swing are flossed. ive caught plenty of trout on the swing where i got a violent take instead of it just stopping in the middle of the swing. when you are swinging and it randomly sticks then it might be a flossed fish.

I understand this, swinging is a great method for willful takes from Trout and Steel, and some of the Salmon will in fact hit the fly, I've seen people on tv throwing dries for Chinooks and they'd come up and slam them after seeing them float past 4-5 times. It is just very logical this technique can floss Salmon.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
I understand this, swinging is a great method for willful takes from Trout and Steel, and some of the Salmon will in fact hit the fly, I've seen people on tv throwing dries for Chinooks and they'd come up and slam them after seeing them float past 4-5 times. It is just very logical this technique can floss Salmon.

very true. especially if your fly swings a few inches past the front of the fishes face,then it whacks the fish right in the side of the mouth

Reactions: JeannaJigs
J
jawjacker
Flossing salmon at the mouth of the Elk river with flys how ironic. Anchovies work too but the rod might get ripped out of your hands before you know it.

brandon4455
brandon4455
a lot of people say it's not possible to floss a salmon in tidewater with flies but, if you use a sinking fly line and are swinging in the direction the tide is moving its just like fishing a flowing river and you can floss fish. pretty rediculous people are using fly rods to floss though.. but, keep i mind comets,baitfish and shrimp patterns will effectively catch tidewater fish without flossing them

Last edited:
P
plumb2fish
mosd's above fish were taken on orange comets, I was just flipping him crap.....he tell's me these fish actually do "BITE".....lmao