Fly fishing nets

P
playhooky
Looking for first-hand knowledge from someone who has been down the multiple net purchasing road. I'm wanting to buy the right net for me.....the right net for the fish, and only want to buy it once. I know there must be the "Best Net" out there. I'm gonna be using it primarily for netting trout while casting flys from a float tube. I would like to be able to release fish from the net unharmed. All comments welcome. Brandon4455..... if you read this post, please chime in. I noticed in some pics that you posted earlier that you use various nets that appear to be fish friendly. Your experience please. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421852514.098511.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
I'm glad to see that, you got a thread started. Hopefully Brandon, or others, will chime in. Good luck.

J
JonT
By "trout" I'm assuming you won't be netting steelhead... I went down the net road and ended in the Wal-mart cul-de-sac. I bought a $14 knotless net (rubber) there 5 or so years ago and it's outlasted the pricy ones. Just my .02.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Hi there! glad i saw this. My fishing buddy bought me my current float tube net so i don't know the specs on it,but it has a long handle, is made of wood,and has a clear rubber net with no knots. It doesn't net giant fish,but i have been able to net fish to 24 inches safely.The advantages are it floats so if you have a fish in the net and want your can you can just drop it. The netting is fish friendly 100% i have never had problems with it,and a good bonus is it never gets caught in their mouth ir gills no matter how much they thrash around.. Your flies rarely get tangled in it in any way. and the long handle is great for fish from a float tube which is all i use that net for. I recommend a wooden frame,long handle,and rubber netting with no knots. black or clear is fine, i just like the clear cause it looks cool,but black rubber won't stain or get brittle as easy with age like clear netting can sometimes be prone to.

Here is a pic of a bull trout i landed with the net. if you have any other questions,fire away!

25rng9h.jpg

P
playhooky
Thanks heaps Brandon4455......extremely useful info. Just what the doctor was looking for. Sounds like something I can find easily enough. I'm not overly concerned with the price tag, brand name or color of netting as far as that stuff goes......after all, it's a fish net, come on. What I don't want is injured fish because of net damage. They're stressed enough from the battle to the net. I'm going with something similar unless someone else can convince me otherwise. BTW....I gotta hand it to you on some of those trophy looking beauties you posted awhile back.....awesome! And just to top it off, here you go again with another gorgeous bull trout! Good on ya man. Nice work! I'm a rookie just tying away and hoping I can score some of these amazing fish with some of the patterns I've tried that look fishy to me. I feel certain some of my bugs will trigger a strike. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S
Stonefish
Another vote for nets with a ghost rubber bag.
Easy on the fish and your hooks don't get stuck in them.
SF