Trolling pattern question

troutdude
troutdude
Most of the fishing books, in my collection, highly recommend trolling (for trout, koke's, etc.) in a "figure 8" pattern. Plus a recent review, of Luhr Jensen "Tech Report", suggests trolling in a counter-clockwise pattern.

While I've admittedly not noticed, whether others have piloted their craft in a counter-clockwise fashion. I've have noticed that most of the time, trollers don't use a figure 8 pattern.

So I'd like to open the floor; and find out if any of my fellow OFF'ers use either of the trolling techniques mentioned above. I'd also like to know, if you don't use either. In your experiences, what have been the pro's and con's?

Ready. Steady. Go.

F
flocaster
Wish I could be of help but it's pretty tough to troll from the bank :D

C_Run
C_Run
I like a straight line:D. Keep in mind I have a kayak and troll from the left side so when I do turn, it's counterclockwise so that my line doesn't get caught in anything sticking up like flag, other rods, net, etc. I do notice sometimes that's when I get bites and I suppose it has to do with the terminal gear changing speed and depth during the turn. It seems like I have read that zigzagging is the way to go for that reason.

S
Steel4life
Man, that is pretty epic. Lol takes fishing to a whole new level

T
Toyracer38
Where there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
The only thing missing; is the ski's! LOL

G
grampa ron
I have always trolled in a zig zag. How many times have you gotten a hit when you start to turn? As far as clockwise, that's gota be some kind of joke. I also try not to troll directly into the sun. Imagine being under the water looking up into the sun.

J
JustMe
When trout fishing, I usually troll in an "S" pattern. This causes the set ups on either side of the boat to slow down or speed up slightly, changing the depth of each. Agree that often get bit while in the middle of a turn. Now for tuna, it's normally a 5-pole spread at 7 to 9 knots with the center rod out long. Without autopilot, I'm usually accidentally zigging. Or zagging.:D

D
DrTheopolis
I think one of you OFFers needs to experiment with the figure-8 and other irregular trolling techniques for salmon.

Maybe start at the Ghost Hole, or Nehalem jaws.

Bringing Mike Pierce along probably isn't the worst idea.

S
sherman
I like to break it up troll for awhile in a straight line, then zig zag & leave the dock counter clock wise. Like others I have hooked up many times while making a turn. The reason I go counter clock wise is if I'm alone I can see how close to shore or weeds I'm getting since I'm steering my boat on the starboard side.

jhop111
jhop111
I've noticed trolling perpendicular or at times parallel with the sun to be more productive when using flashers.