Salmon fishing on Siltcoos

M
mikeredding
I am tired of watching people blatantly break the law while salmon fishing on Siltcoos. Next weekend I will have my binoculars and digital camera to document the activity. If I have to go to court to testify against you then so be it. I was a police officer for 5 years, I know the routine.

This is absolute BS. And I see it every weekend. Catch, keep and tag a fish and then the line goes back in the water and continue on.
Or the other is, catch one in the morning then leave and then they are back fishing again in the evening. I think the guys doing this are mostly locals.

If you are one of these people, you have been warned. Do you really think that you can catch a 25" fish in an arm with 15 boats and nobody see you? Or are you balls just that big? Whatever your deal is, you had better not do it in front of me anymore.

Reactions: beaverfan
L
lilsalmon
:clap::clap::clap: Go get em...dirty dogs

J
JeannaJigs
Dammit Mike. You're gonna ruin my gig.

Everyone that "camps" i.e. lives at nightengales does this. They catch, go in and clean the fish and are out later in the day after putting down some beers and cheetos.

My balls aren't that big.

M
mikeredding
Well I am done with it. I follow the law and I expect everyone else to. This is a unique fishery that has only been open for a few years and I plan to continue to fish it so I am not going to let a few dirtbags ruin it for everyone else.

M
mrlindeman
Thats how it should be ya know. People will just keep doing it until others stand up and make a difference. People that disrespect these laws cause systems to be closed and fisheries to suffer.

S
sherman
I know what your saying Mike. I was camped at darlings marina summer before this & a family with a 4 man sea eagle poontoon trolled by me with no licence on their toon with an outboard motor. When I got back to the dock they were getting some more gas because they had run out. Their teenage son had a nice big steelhead & didn't even know what he had. I informed them of a few things in hopes that they would learn the regs & follow them. They were a humble asian family from Portland & had no idea they were breaking the law. They were very thankful that I informed them when they left.

E
eugene1
JeannaJigs said:
Dammit Mike. You're gonna ruin my gig.

Everyone that "camps" i.e. lives at nightengales does this. They catch, go in and clean the fish and are out later in the day after putting down some beers and cheetos.

My balls aren't that big.

LOL.

Get em Mike!

B
bythesea
Good Luck,I really mean that I seen it happen to many times down on the slaw before the quota was met people (locals) throw a ho in there rig go home and back fishing.or catch a big ho and keep fish'en for a king or a fin clip.I mean what are the odds especially when the coho are running so thick in my eyes it's just fish kill.One guy did this I went up to him and ask why he was still fishing he said for kings any way he through out snagged and lost a 3$ lure I told him it was carma strangest thing he through 3 more times and lost 3 more lures.I don't really believe in carma but he said it was just bad luck...But hey to everbody else.....FISH-ON!!!!

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah i swear i seen a boat land a fish and then after a bit of free drifting around and some hand washing and motor work there were to rods out trolling from that boat again. Its bs. i fished all ****ing day for a 19 inch jack. would have loved to break all the laws and get more fish but i really like the fishery and dont want to be part of the problem and these assholes just blantenly break the law. I will testify with ya if i see the same violation. are we talking about the 2 old timers in the white with a bit of blue trihullish boat? big grey evenrude?

Reactions: beaverfan
M
mikeredding
No. This was a Koffler sled with 2 guys and a gal up Maple. The guy in the orange rain pants caught a fish right next to me and I watched him fill out his tag. Then as soon as they were going again, out comes his gear. I almost rolled up next to him and asked him why he was still fishing. Pissed me off. I just left and went to Fiddle Cr,

E
eugene1
Saw that Koffler earlier in the day. When we departed nightengales we were schooled by a dude in a porta fold up boat that we can't keep fishing for jacks after landing an adult. We hadn't caught any at this point and were just chatting with the guy, so I guess he was just making sure we knew the regs? This was at fiddler arm. So most (if not all) people do know the rules.

If I see someone is fishing illegally there I'm gonna tell them the regs and then make a call if I got phone coverage.

M
mikeredding
Yeah I have spoke with the guy in the fold up boat a few times. He seems to always have tings to say to me. Last weekend he told me I need a bigger net and another time he told me I need to get a new motor because mine smokes too much.

E
eugene1
mikeredding said:
Yeah I have spoke with the guy in the fold up boat a few times. He seems to always have tings to say to me. Last weekend he told me I need a bigger net and another time he told me I need to get a new motor because mine smokes too much.

That's funny man! Not 100% sure, but like 99.99% sure I saw you out there. Do you roll with a big 'rude? your motor is fine, but I was thinking you should clean your engine because it was smoking a lot! Did mine the other day and it helped a bunch.

M
mikeredding
No big dude. Just me and the wife. My motor doesn't smoke that much but the day that guy saw me I had just switched to my back up tank and some of the gas had evaporated leaving the oil mix too rich.

E
eugene1
Just thinking about the regs out on the coastal lakes some more as I'm firing up the smoker.

We caught a keeper cutt there yesterday but let it go. We've also caught rainbows on plugs. So, our coho gear is good for catching multiple species... Once I caught and tagged my adult coho, I didn't fish there anymore. But could I have, legally?

Since there are legal trout to keep out there, can we continue to fish for them after retaining an adult ho? Of course I'd have to release any jack or adult coho landed (or let my buddies reel it in), but would it be legal to continue to fish? Got me wondering.

R
Renegade
Seen a couple guys casting and do that yesterday.

E
eugene1
mikeredding said:
No big dude. Just me and the wife. My motor doesn't smoke that much but the day that guy saw me I had just switched to my back up tank and some of the gas had evaporated leaving the oil mix too rich.

Meant no offense mikeredding,

It's hard to convey intents or regards via websites for me. i should have said you could maybe improve your boat's motor. Those Johnson/Evinrudes/ 'rudes/ johnyrude engines are hard beat. They're all my old man uses and i have one of their kickers too. I logged LOTS of hours on one of their tiller's.

I'm big but not that big, although my boat is just under 15'..

best of luck,

T
Thuggin4Life
If you are to switch to trout then better be obvious about. Like smaller rod and not the same gear you were using for coho. Also might not want to be fishing in a boat still targeting coho or even fishing in the coho crowds. Some people just need a hole in there boat and a broken rod.

M
mikeredding
eugene1 said:
Meant no offense mikeredding,

best of luck,

No offense taken at all. I was just trying to explain why that old guy would think I needed a new motor.

M
mikeredding
Thuggin4Life said:
If you are to switch to trout then better be obvious about. Like smaller rod and not the same gear you were using for coho. Also might not want to be fishing in a boat still targeting coho or even fishing in the coho crowds. Some people just need a hole in there boat and a broken rod.

Exactly what Andy said. But these guys aren't changing anything. They are immediately putting the same gear in the water, in the same place and fishing the same way. Pretty obvious.