I am hoping this isn't the dumbest question ever asked on here

S
Sage_Flyguy
We had a decent outing today , a buddy of mine hooked 3 landed 1 wish appeared to be a nice Native Buck which we released unharmed.

I am much more familiar with the Summer Variety steelhead than I am with these Winters. On my home river ( South Santiam ) its fairly common to land steelhead and there is a Very think Black outline on the lower jaw and on the lower jaw only. SO now on to my very dumb question , I apologize in advanced if this has been answered to death. This Native we landed today when I hopped in the water to assist him I noticed The Entire Lower Jaw and the Entire Tongue was Jet black. I thought that was only found amongst the Chinook , how common is this trait amongst winter steelhead ?

Here are 2 pictures of the fish , none of which have the mouth in the picture. I decided to try and snap a picture last second before we released it , beings it was a native fish and all we spared it of the relentless selfies.

Thanks Guys , sorry for the dumb Newb Question
Jer

• IMG_20150111_121925_425.jpg
T
Toyracer38
Sounds like it was a Chinook. Not sure where you were fishing, but have "read", a couple have been caught already, in Oregon City.

S
Sage_Flyguy
We were on Lake Creek today ,I am about 100% sure it wasn't a Nook , I have caught and released many Nooks. To me they look completely different and on this fish only the bottom jaw was black in color. I was doing some more research and I am now convinced it was a Coho , which confuses me even further because I thought I had a good handle on what my target species looks like.

T
Toyracer38
Coho was my first thought, but you said jet black tounge. Looks like a pretty fresh fish! All the ones I've been hooking these days, look like something out of the Walking Dead!

S
Sage_Flyguy
Yeah , I might need to do some more coho research. It was a pretty dark tongue and gum , well from what I am used to. I have pulled some pictures from online and I am just going to guess coho. Yeah that fish was in great condition , good color. Either way , the fish was released unharmed. Had the camera been a little more handy and the fish was fin clipped we probably would of taken a couple better pictures of it.

I appreciate the reply , Going forward I am just assuming this was a coho. Literally everything I am reading steelhead should never have a black tongue. That's what I always thought , but this fish really had me confused , I guess mainly because it looks nothing like the Zombie Salmon I am used to seeing on the South Santiam.

Jer

D
DirectDrive
Sounds like a Coho....steelhead is cotton white in the mouth.

T
Tacomasteelheader
100% coho I was there two days ago and banked two chrome coho looked that fresh. Both on the bobber bead. Also lost a steely at the bank.

B
bubs
I know the coho run was epic this year, but does anyone think the late coho catches, not to mention early first springer this year, are a bit strange...warm temperatures? Or am I just imagining things? I've been spending a lot of time at the local wildlife refuge and the number of migratory birds that are still around that should be in Mexico right now has got me a bit wierded out

T
Tacomasteelheader
I think that a lot of our runs seem to be extending out a lot cause we caught coho on the main stem umpqua in February last year even tho it was low water

B
bigboy70
111ec7866c7dcd8811cbc6278a057e33.jpg if it looked like dis its a winter

B
bigboy70
Ok now reading everything don't coho have white or grayish mouths not black? Just call it a fish that way you can never be wrong lol

N
Native Fisher
The 100% easiest way to determine coho from steelhead is the tail, steelhead are virtually flat, coho will have some forking.

N
Native Fisher
bubs said:
I know the coho run was epic this year, but does anyone think the late coho catches, not to mention early first springer this year, are a bit strange...warm temperatures? Or am I just imagining things? I've been spending a lot of time at the local wildlife refuge and the number of migratory birds that are still around that should be in Mexico right now has got me a bit wierded out

Coho catches seem pretty normal to me, or typical for this time of year...Not uncommon for me to catch lots of coho around new years day...So on a banner year Id expect it even more. Last coho was early feburary for me last year.

R
rippin fish lips
Sage_Flyguy said:
We had a decent outing today , a buddy of mine hooked 3 landed 1 wish appeared to be a nice Native Buck which we released unharmed.

I am much more familiar with the Summer Variety steelhead than I am with these Winters. On my home river ( South Santiam ) its fairly common to land steelhead and there is a Very think Black outline on the lower jaw and on the lower jaw only. SO now on to my very dumb question , I apologize in advanced if this has been answered to death. This Native we landed today when I hopped in the water to assist him I noticed The Entire Lower Jaw and the Entire Tongue was Jet black. I thought that was only found amongst the Chinook , how common is this trait amongst winter steelhead ?

Here are 2 pictures of the fish , none of which have the mouth in the picture. I decided to try and snap a picture last second before we released it , beings it was a native fish and all we spared it of the relentless selfies.

Thanks Guys , sorry for the dumb Newb Question
Jer

That right there is a late up river bright Coho. I'm still catchin a few every trip out. I seen some seals way up river in tide water and saw 2 seals in the fresh the other week... Tells me there is some Hos comin in for sure still.

D
DrTheopolis
bigboy70 said:
Ok now reading everything don't coho have white or grayish mouths not black? Just call it a fish that way you can never be wrong lol

The mouth is typically black in a coho, at least around the jaws. The gums, where the teeth poke through, will always be white on a coho (black on a Chinook). Steelhead rarely have any black.

S
Seahawkfan
Judging by the snout it looks like a Coho.

J
Jdangler xD
Seen a few late cohos lol he said walking dead. It's so true.