First yarn balls- seeking coaching advice

C
cookshot
I tried all last year to catch some fish, and never got any ink on the tag. I tried everything but yarnies, and since I'm a substitute teacher, and get some time off from time to time, I decided to give it a shot at tying some. I watched several videos, and basically ended up tying the egg loop with the yarn tied in, I also made some without the egg loop, with the yarn tied in. I made orange and pink, white and pink, pink and orange, some with half and half color, some with one color with small dots etc. I wanted to post some pics to see if I could get any coaching advice since I have no idea how these things are actually supposed to work. I've seen some pictures, but I thought some people with experience might be able to give me some tips before I get these things wet. All advice accepted. Probably going to give them a shot early next week. I guess that leads me to my next question, how do I fish these things? I was kind of envisioning dead drifting them with some weight. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help/advice. 2011-10-26_08-05-22_378.jpg2011-10-26_08-05-41_233.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
W
waco
Those look good for been your first ones!!! The only thing I have to said is I dont see your hooks, your yarn balls are to big for your hooks or your hooks too small for your yarn ball!!!! What size of hook are you using?

J
joesnuffy
I would either do less yarn, or more hook.... you don't want that gap to become too narrow to allow a good hookset.

C
cookshot
I used size 2 red owner hooks (suggestions accepted there too). I'm tying them for steelhead. I'll cut some back and post back some pics later on. Thanks so far!

A
alseaalumaweld
looks good maybe a little smaller

A
alseaalumaweld
id use size 1 owner but thats just me

Y
youngbuck307
Ok so with the ones that are tied in to the egg loop (on the bottom of it) are good for putting some eggs above but if your just going to use it as a yarn ball then just tie up a normal egg loop not the double and then put your yarn in the single egg loop and trim back and puff it up. like the guys are saying you dont have a hook gap. by only using the one egg loop it puts all that yarn higher on the loop. It wont fall out maybe once or twice a day so have extra yarn on you at all times. Takes about 30sec to tie them up this way. If your going to use the ones you have trim them up some more then on the next ones make them smaller or go to a number 1 hook.

Reactions: bigsteel