Going out with a bang

B
Berg03
Yesterday Brandon4455 and I went out to the local stream for the last day of fishing on it. We biked about 3 miles in to a spot Brandon likes to fish and we had a blast. Caught fish both with self tied flies that Brandon came up with and some October Caddis nymphs. Caught over 20 fish all around 6-10 inches which is nice for the small stream we were in. We were both surprised when we only caught 1 cuttie and the rest were rainbows.

L
lilsalmon
good job....glad you guys got out and got into some fishes...

S
Spydeyrch
Nicely done boys!! looks like you had a blast out there!!! Wish I could have gone but had to work. :(

At least they will get a chance to rest for a while until next year, right! :D

-Spydey

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Good job!!

B
Berg03
Spydeyrch said:
Nicely done boys!! looks like you had a blast out there!!! Wish I could have gone but had to work. :(

At least they will get a chance to rest for a while until next year, right! :D

-Spydey

For sure. We will be waiting :p

brandon4455
brandon4455
that was a great time plenty o fighting fish, some of those rainbows really took off and it made me think i had a 14 incher :lol: excellent hatches of BWO's and mahogany duns i believe and october caddis later in the trip, but topwater wasn't doing it, i got 1 fish on an october caddis dry i ied, but hot flies were my ice dub prince, size 14 possie buggers,flashback pheasent tail and october caddis pupa. can't wait until next year!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
something if forgot to add to this, a few spots thi fish were so thick there would be catches of over 6 fish in one spot, as me and spydeyrch found out on this stretch earlier this year when you find fish they are usually in pods,cutts and bows . there were 2 or 3 spots where i caught 4-6 fish in a few minutes then moved on :lol: also, congrats to brad who got his fly fishing down a lot better and slayed the trout with a perfect drag free drift :clap:

Last edited:
S
Sinkline
Good job guys!

Brandon, why do you think the fish were stacked in certain places? Security, feeding lanes, weed beds??? What do you think?

Randy

brandon4455
brandon4455
Sinkline said:
Good job guys!

Brandon, why do you think the fish were stacked in certain places? Security, feeding lanes, weed beds??? What do you think?

Randy

a lot of the places ive seen a lot of fish packed in one area is fast runs right on the seam usually in spots that are 2-6ft deep and sometimes there will be quite a few fish stacked up against rocks that are against the bank that barely poke into the run. so im thinking feeding lanes, but it's crazy how many fish you can catch in one spot sometimes up there. one day on this same stretch of water me and spydey caught over 12 fish in 1 spot and quite a few were good sized. i mean ive caught fish in all kinds of holding water, but when there are very large populations of fish it always seems to be the faster deeper runs on the seams

F
flyguy
great advice.

S
Sinkline
brandon4455 said:
a lot of the places ive seen a lot of fish packed in one area is fast runs right on the seam usually in spots that are 2-6ft deep and sometimes there will be quite a few fish stacked up against rocks that are against the bank that barely poke into the run. so im thinking feeding lanes, but it's crazy how many fish you can catch in one spot sometimes up there. one day on this same stretch of water me and spydey caught over 12 fish in 1 spot and quite a few were good sized. i mean ive caught fish in all kinds of holding water, but when there are very large populations of fish it always seems to be the faster deeper runs on the seams

Thanks Brandon, sounds like you have it figured correctly. To bad ya can't fish it into the Winter when food supplies are minimal. Would be interesting to see if the fish are still in those same places.

Randy

brandon4455
brandon4455
Sinkline said:
Thanks Brandon, sounds like you have it figured correctly. To bad ya can't fish it into the Winter when food supplies are minimal. Would be interesting to see if the fish are still in those same places.

Randy
no prob randy. and yes, it would be very intresting,for some reason the fish in this creek don't like dry flies either, although the upper reaches outside town (where we were fishing has several good hatches of october caddis, small brown/tan caddis,bwo's,mahogany duns and several other goodies including golden stones and such throughout the year, ive caught a few on dries but they just seem to prefer nymphs. everytime i go up there i don't hesitate for one second before throwing nymphs on but the big fish killer up there for me has always been a smaller possie bugger (size 14-16 ) although it is an attractor it is said to fish well as cased caddis, and there are cased caddis up there so there may be some truth to it, they will still take a possie in size 10 or 12 but they just go crazy for small ones

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
also partially security, the ones against the rocks and under overhanging trees anyways, there are some cutthroat in the 20+ in class in that stretch and they eat other fish , i caught a 14 inch cutt there once that had a smaller rainbow halfway swallowed, and ive seen some pretty big fish swimming around before so that kind of adds to it

B
Berg03
ya there are def some good size trout in our local creek. And nymphing is def the best in our creek, i love throwing on the dry cuz i love top water action. But when i switch to nymphs i always get bigger fish.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Berg03 said:
ya there are def some good size trout in our local creek. And nymphing is def the best in our creek, i love throwing on the dry cuz i love top water action. But when i switch to nymphs i always get bigger fish.

yeah thats just how it is in the creek dude kinda weird, the other river thats about 20 minutes away has big fish that will take dries though- i caught several fish from 14-16 inches on dries there, even had that jaws-like 18-20 incher rise to ym caddis then saw me and he spooked. that river is way cleaner and cooler and has no dams or streamflow issues like the creek does,thats the main difference betwween the 2,that really shows how much a dam can impact the ecosystem. wonder how many more trophy trou would be swimming through the creek fi ti wasn't dammed up??

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great job,guys! You make it sound simple...

B
Berg03
brandon4455 said:
yeah thats just how it is in the creek dude kinda weird, the other river thats about 20 minutes away has big fish that will take dries though- i caught several fish from 14-16 inches on dries there, even had that jaws-like 18-20 incher rise to ym caddis then saw me and he spooked. that river is way cleaner and cooler and has no dams or streamflow issues like the creek does,thats the main difference betwween the 2,that really shows how much a dam can impact the ecosystem. wonder how many more trophy trou would be swimming through the creek fi ti wasn't dammed up??

Ya we need to go tear some more of the rock walls those kids put up down. haha

brandon4455
brandon4455
Berg03 said:
Ya we need to go tear some more of the rock walls those kids put up down. haha

yeah im gunna start tearing those down in a week or two, unless the water gets high with all the upcoming rain, then it should be fine