Help with selecting reel for newbie

S
Snappleninja
So I am new to the salmon fishing thing so I have a few questions about reels. I have selected and purchased the Wright&McGill 8"6' salmon/steelhead rod, but I am still looking at reels. I've been looking at a few saltwater reels (Fin Nor Lethal, Penn Battle II), but I was wandering if saltwater reels will fit on a freshwater salmon rod. Thanks for the help

T
troutmasta
Its pretty universal. Most reels fit most rods.

bass
bass
I would take the rod to where you want to buy the reel and try a few different sized reels on the rod to find the weight that best balances with the rod. In general I have had a few issues with some of the Okuma reels I have purchased (love the rods) but every Shimano spinning reel I have ever bought has been a beast of burden without issue. Thus, I would recommend a shimano that balances with the rod. Best of luck.

B
bagold53
bass said:
I would take the rod to where you want to buy the reel and try a few different sized reels on the rod to find the weight that best balances with the rod. In general I have had a few issues with some of the Okuma reels I have purchased (love the rods) but every Shimano spinning reel I have ever bought has been a beast of burden without issue. Thus, I would recommend a shimano that balances with the rod. Best of luck.

I agree with taking the reel mount section of the rod when you go to purchase. Bought a Rod and reel from a friend of a friend and found that the Reel they were sold was a salt water reel that was to large to put on the rod, by 2-3 inches.

Main question would be is it a Level wind rod or a spinning rod. This will cut your choices in half.

J
JonT
Anything Shimano in the 4000 series

J
Jdangler xD
Snappleninja said:
So I am new to the salmon fishing thing so I have a few questions about reels. I have selected and purchased the Wright&McGill 8"6' salmon/steelhead rod, but I am still looking at reels. I've been looking at a few saltwater reels (Fin Nor Lethal, Penn Battle II), but I was wandering if saltwater reels will fit on a freshwater salmon rod. Thanks for the help
Have two original battles and the hold up great. Love them. The battle two just has a few improvements. I have the 4000&6000. They are really tough and resistant to weather and the ht100 drag is amazing.

S
Snappleninja
Jdangler xD said:
Have two original battles and the hold up great. Love them. The battle two just has a few improvements. I have the 4000&6000. They are really tough and resistant to weather and the ht100 drag is amazing.
I decided to go with a Shimano Saros. I found out the Fin Nor Lethal wouldn't fit the reel seat, and I couldn't find a Battle II to try to fit first hand. I am getting antsy to fish so I couldn't wait any longer lol.