Siuslaw report 12/18

jamisonace
jamisonace
Floated Tide to Thompson.

Water level was right at 6', clarity was pale green with just a slight hint of brown.

This was my first Siuslaw float this season for Steelhead. We drift fished some favorite spots then finished the runs off with plugs. The third spot we stopped in gave up a cookie cutter steelhead on plugs that took my buddy into that wonderful Siuslaw grass and broke him off.

Next hole produced two SRC drift fishing, one of which was about 14"

The long flat above Davis Chute which is usually great for steelhead gave up 4 coho....none bright. We finally pushed out of there to get away from coho.

No more fish were caught by us but we saw a fly angler at Thompson that was having a great time hooking coho from the bank. We even saw a seal way above Farnham which I've never seen before.

We left and fished Whitaker to wildcat. Nothing. All reports up there were negative.

Siuslaw is forecast to go to 20' now. Be safe.

One more thing:

We saw a house consumed in flames near Walton. I've never seen anything like it. 6 fire trucks passed us between Walton and Veneta. I just hope no one was hurt because that house must have gone up fast. If anyone sees anything about it please let me know, we don't watch much tv so I don't know if it was on the news.

Thx

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, thanks for the report.

N
Native Fisher
Good report! Sounds like you got to pull on some fish at least.

jamisonace
jamisonace
One more thing: For anyone doing that float, there is a huge wave in Davis chute at 6'. It put about 5 gallons of water in the boat over the bow. I don't know if there is a way around it. I just think you need to push down it hard.

Good times.

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
I went and got my property ready for any flooding, but crossing my fingers it don't :nightmare:

Last edited: