Questions on Rogue

T
tomkat
I understand it is flies only from Gold Ray dam site to Cole's River Hatchery. Is that restriction for both salmon and steelhead? When does the flies only restriction lift? Also, I don't see any reports for Gold Beach or Winchester Bay to the north. Does anyone know if anything is going on at either of these locations? Thanks in advance.

E
eat, sleep, fish
tomkat said:
I understand it is flies only from Gold Ray dam site to Cole's River Hatchery. Is that restriction for both salmon and steelhead? When does the flies only restriction lift? Also, I don't see any reports for Gold Beach or Winchester Bay to the north. Does anyone know if anything is going on at either of these locations? Thanks in advance.

The restriction applies no matter what you're targeting. Starting on November 1st it opens for bait from the Shady Cove boat ramp on up. Below the Shady Cove boat ramp it is only open to artificial lures and flies (no bait). It's only a steelhead show up there right now, as the silvers don't start showing up until at least the beginning of November.

The Gold Beach area slowed down this week, and is now only producing a few silvers and Indian Creek hatchery fish. However, the Chetco tidewater is picking up. A 47lber was just caught there the other day.

T
tomkat
Thanks for the info. I just might head for Brookings for a couple of days next week.

E
eat, sleep, fish
tomkat said:
Thanks for the info. I just might head for Brookings for a couple of days next week.

As long as it doesn't rain it should be some good fishing. Good luck.

F
FishFiddle
tomkat said:
Fished the Agnes area last weekend for Half-Pounders from a Driftboat and it was slower than last year
as we averaged a fish every 2 rod hours. Fished flies and even though it was a little slow we still had a blast and beautiful weather and water. OH yea, I did catch my first Coho Jack on a fly, 17'' and a fattie. I love that river!!

T
tomkat
Arrived in Brookings Tuesday around noon and fished 3pm til dark. Nothing going on but had been "hot" in the morning. Fished Wednesday morning and evening and no one was doing much of anything. Fished Thursday morning and no one was catching fish until about one half hour before we had to leave, check out of our motel and return home. Neither one of us had fished here before and I am sure that lack of experience contributed to our lack of catching. My brother did manage to catch a diving bird and I a 3" crab. Even though we caught no fish we had a good time.

F
FishFiddle
Fished the Upper Rogue on Saturday. We went 3 for 5, the largest at 29", not a great day but still had a blast. Beautiful day on the water.

T
tomkat
Congratulations. Sounds like a lot of fun.

E
eat, sleep, fish
FishFiddle said:
Fished the Upper Rogue on Saturday. We went 3 for 5, the largest at 29", not a great day but still had a blast. Beautiful day on the water.

Very nice. We definitely need some rain to get those fish active again, but it should be pretty good tomorrow with the bait opener.