Awesome looking week to come!

K
kerrydaleherring
If you haven't already started steelie fishing.... you might miss out. I don't know about the other river systems but the Siuslaw is fixing to look pretty sweet this week. Looks like I know where im gonna be for this upcoming week after work. Hows some other rivers looking?

hobster
hobster
Not missing out on much, it's still so early. Next week could start heating up a bit, still will be a little thin. There may be a few in the Slaw but just wait a month, then it will be on!

C_Run
C_Run
All you hardcore guys be sure to write some good reports on here for the rest of us. For now, I'm just going to sleep in during these short days and probably start in January. I did resupply myself with some new spinners today, though. Be sure to take pictures of your fish.

K
kerrydaleherring
I'll be sure to take pics.... I do know its early but you won't ever know until you really know if there's fish or not. Not having a rod in the water never helps. Going in the morn if there is steelies I hope we pick one up. Early bird gets the worm.... I like hitting early just in case there's some ready to be caught. I don't like the huge crowds of people especially since I'm one of the thousands of bank fisherman out there fighting for a good spot.

N
Native Fisher
Since when did mid december become early? The fish in now are hot and good table quality. By mid janurary there will be a mixture of colored and chrome fish and every month after that it will be more colored fish and less chrome fish.

K
kerrydaleherring
Well the facts are this: we may think we have these fish figured out but they tend to cone when they feel like its time. We don't know why the start coming or can't predict when they start. I think and believe that there are some fish to be got. I thought that the nooks on the slaw were done by the middle of november but ended up catching a 25 lb chrome hen 23 of November.

hobster
hobster
Native Fisher said:
Since when did mid december become early? The fish in now are hot and good table quality. By mid janurary there will be a mixture of colored and chrome fish and every month after that it will be more colored fish and less chrome fish.

Depends on the river. Slaw runs later than some, you can catch chrome in march. I'd rather save cash and wait till i know i can catch fish, which i will. Still early, no question about it. I didn't say there aren't fish......... good luck kerry, i hope you get one! :thumb:

C_Run
C_Run
There is four months of winter steelhead fishing coming up. Realistically, I'll probably make it out a half dozen times if I am lucky. Meantime, good luck to all and don't forget to post.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
C_Run said:
Realistically, I'll probably make it out a half dozen times if I am lucky. Meantime, good luck to all and don't forget to post.

What he said!

Y
Yogidabear
The river is way to high and muddy.

N
Native Fisher
Yogidabear said:
The river is way to high and muddy.

My streams on the south coast are low end of perfect today, by the time I can fish on wed or thur they will be low and clear. Alas this dang work thing getting in the way of fishing time.

K
kerrydaleherring
Went to the slaw... No takers yet. water was on its way to being green there is still some brown color. Went and took a look see at where the trap was going to be. Did not see any steelies that made their way up when we were there. But I have a feeling that they are on their way I wonder how folks did down by tide, swisshome, or Redhill area??????

J
JohnnyH
Landed one wild just up River from swisshome on a spoon today. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418603242.032513.jpg

Reactions: C_Run
K
kerrydaleherring
Great update johnny... Thought about going up that way but second guessed myself.... Any one else do any good?

R
Ram
Hi All,

First post. Happy to be on here!

This is my first season in pursuit of any salmonids. Been out about 10 times, learning the ropes. It has been a blast so far, but no fish. Saw a few hook ups on the Kilchis Saturday, nothing on the Wilson.

Good luck out there everybody!

K
kerrydaleherring
Hey ram nice to have you. this forum is amazing....lots of good and helpful people on here! I hope you get hooked up soon! Maybe next time you go you'll get lucky...

S
Steel4life
Nice coho, but unfortunately for that fish you could've done a better job of catch and release. None the less its a beautiful fish, congrats

J
JohnnyH
Steel4life said:
Nice coho, but unfortunately for that fish you could've done a better job of catch and release. None the less its a beautiful fish, congrats

You sir, are the reason I rarely post on here. Held it in the water the whole time except for a 5 sec photo. I don't think that fish will have a problem as it swam away strong as heck.

I also thought this was a steelhead, why do you say coho?

S
Steel4life
I'm not trying to be rude. There is a percentage of fish that die even after a proper release, with that said the percentage goes up when mishandled, regardless if it swam off.
I believe it is a coho because of the extreme white gum line that I see in the pic, one of the best ways to identify a coho among other details. Personally I've never seen a steelhead with white gums like that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I do not want to be giving false information to anybody.

N
Native Fisher
JohnnyH said:
You sir, are the reason I rarely post on here. Held it in the water the whole time except for a 5 sec photo. I don't think that fish will have a problem as it swam away strong as heck.

I also thought this was a steelhead, why do you say coho?

Without being able to see the tail, I can't be 100%, but I am pretty sure that is a coho as well. Don't mind the people busting your chops about the photo that fish will spawn and die long before any potential "damage" you did to it effects it.