Siuslaw River coho fishing tomorrow....any thoughts???

K
kerrydaleherring
Me and my bud are fishing the siuslaw for some old Chinook and coho anyone knows how fishing has been the last couple days upper siuslaw towards Swisshome? I knows its high but dropping pretty quick. We will be drifting little quarter size clumps of eggs maybe just a corky. Thanks for your input

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
The River today is pretty high and not very clear and wont drop back down to be fished for at least 4-5 days (from my experience) even at that time im not sure if there will even any "good" fishing for salmon.

Good Luck!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I heard the Siuslaw is still kicking out nice silvers. You'll have to wait for the water to clear a bit probably.

K
kerrydaleherring
I know I need to wait till the water clears but correct me if I'm wrong but the coho fishery ends on the 31st..... If right there's not much waiting it out anymore guess 15-20 days till some steelies start showing up.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Correct...closes to retention tomorrow. Still fun if you hook one. I've been catching and releasing coho there for almost two months now.

K
kerrydaleherring
I went yesterday morn water was high, dirty and ripping fast. Still managed to pull a jack out. Chromer too. I think there's still a little bit more chinooks out there to be caught.

A
allforthefish
jamisonace said:
Correct...closes to retention tomorrow. Still fun if you hook one. I've been catching and releasing coho there for almost two months now.
You get into these while chasing some early winter steel? I was always curious if they went for any of the jigs or spinners I throw for steelhead. Thanks!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
allforthefish said:
You get into these while chasing some early winter steel? I was always curious if they went for any of the jigs or spinners I throw for steelhead. Thanks!

I have C&Red a few coho that were getting ready to spawn, while steelhead fishing with spinners/spoons in late December, Wildcat/Whittaker creek area...

Reactions: allforthefish
A
allforthefish
rogerdodger said:
I have C&Red a few coho that were getting ready to spawn, while steelhead fishing with spinners/spoons in late December, Wildcat/Whittaker creek area...
Thanks for info! I know I have until Oct 15th this year if I am able to find one. Going to throw spinners from north jetty on Saturday and then fish upriver from mapleton on Sunday. All bank bound.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I haven't fished that area for about 8 years but if you're on the bank, there are pretty good spots upstream from Thompson. One particularly good spot is just below Red Hill Rapids. We got most of our fish floating between Tide and Thompson. If Lake Creek is open, Indiola is a really fun spot from the bank but it's small so you might not get in. That's a fun area to explore but while the fish are thick in the bay I would focus my attention there.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
I haven't fished that area for about 8 years but if you're on the bank, there are pretty good spots upstream from Thompson. One particularly good spot is just below Red Hill Rapids. We got most of our fish floating between Tide and Thompson. If Lake Creek is open, Indiola is a really fun spot from the bank but it's small so you might not get in. That's a fun area to explore but while the fish are thick in the bay I would focus my attention there.
FYI- Lake Creek is closed to salmon this year.

allforthefish said:
Thanks for info! I know I have until Oct 15th this year if I am able to find one. Going to throw spinners from north jetty on Saturday and then fish upriver from mapleton on Sunday. All bank bound.

there are coho in the river but I would not expect many coho past Cushman/RR bridge, chinook yes. This weekend I would suggest the rock wall on Rhody drive near the Humane Society.

Last edited:
A
allforthefish
jamisonace said:
Thanks for the tips. Super awesome that you share so much great advice on here. I have learned a ton from you. I think I will will stay in the bay near the north jetty with a few rods and a box full of spinners and buzzbombs. Thanks!

Reactions: jamisonace
A
allforthefish
rogerdodger said:
FYI- Lake Creek is closed to salmon this year.

there are coho in the river but I would not expect many coho past Cushman/RR bridge, chinook yes. This weekend I would suggest the rock wall on Rhody drive near the Humane Society.
I think lake Creek is open for Chinook starting Oct 15th through Dec 31. So closed currently and once open the wild coho season is over. Yeah I think I'll take everyones advice and stick to chucking hardware from the rocks. Thanks for any advice!