Alternative commercial gear

T
tnffishman
So I spent my morning on the Columbia in a WDFW boat observing the alternative gear sampling they are doing to try and replace gillnets. Really interesting stuff, and it gives you a completely different perspective on net fishing when you are out there. The one set I saw only had one Chinook in it, and several small sturgeon. None of the fish in these tests are kept, just tagged and released.

A
alseaalumaweld
alternative gear sampling they are doing to try and replace gillnets? what are they testing?

S
sidehillwinder
Very interesting. Tnffishman, got any links to post? This is an exciting concept.

T
tnffishman
Ooh ya my bad, they are running purse seine nets, then dipping salmonids out with fish friendly nets. If they began using this then all wild fish and by-catch would be released. WDFW has 22 nets out on the river now, and are continuing through this week

A
alseaalumaweld
all wild fish and by-catch would be released. only if the neter let them go

T
tnffishman
alseaalumaweld said:
all wild fish and by-catch would be released. only if the neter let them go
True, but the seine nets almost never harm the fish. I'm sure it would be suspicious if one boat came back with a large amount of wild fish, or other species

A
alseaalumaweld
one boat came back with a large amount of wild fish, or other species. ya they will have better chance of getting caugth now

A
alseaalumaweld
would this be for all netting on the river?

T
tnffishman
alseaalumaweld said:
would this be for all netting on the river?

I'm not 100% sure if the tribal fisheries would switch or not... But lower river gillnetters may be having to switch over in the next few years

A
alseaalumaweld
im very impressed!

A
alseaalumaweld
thats the next best thing to a ban on netting

T
tnffishman
alseaalumaweld said:
thats the next best thing to a ban on netting
Ya it's really cool. I wasn't actually on the net boat, but it's the same crew that fishes gillnets in the lower river during the season. WDFW contracted the boats and crews, and are monitoring how successful they are.

A
alseaalumaweld
looked pretty good the way there doing it.

B
bigsteel
definitely a better method,,you can bet you arse the tribal fishermen will NOT change their methods