Land-based farmed salmon: good for wild salmon

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the new "Land-based farmed salmon" are a real breakthrough, great to see this emerging approach getting recognized. It eliminates any threat to wild fish and appears to be an extremely environmentally sound way to produce a high demand food product (Atlantic Salmon), continuing to reduce commercial ocean harvest demands on our wild fish stocks.

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood...stems-worldwide-salmo-salar?q=atlantic salmon

FYI- the albacore tuna that is troll caught off Oregon is also rated a "Best Choice" by Seafood Watch.

cheers, roger

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm glad they differentiate in the stores between land based farmed and marine farmed. The threat posed to wild fish by disease spread from bay farming is far greater than wild fish harvest in my opinion (which means next to nothing since I'm not an expert).

I stopped eating farmed salmon a few years ago after watching the documentary entitled a Salmon Confidential.

This documentary has been posted on here at least twice before but here it is again.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MTbxOFcvC4U

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
I'm glad they differentiate in the stores between land based farmed and marine farmed. The threat posed to wild fish by disease spread from bay farming is far greater than wild fish harvest in my opinion (which means next to nothing since I'm not an expert).

I stopped eating farmed salmon a few years ago after watching the documentary entitled a Salmon Confidential.

This documentary has been posted on here at least twice before but here it is again.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MTbxOFcvC4U

yes, almost sure that I posted a Salmon Confidential link here at OFF...

I don't think the MBA SeafoodWatch has ever recommended any of the farm raised salmon from waterways... this recommendation for the land raised salmon is a big deal.

Last edited:
B
BaldTexan
I can see it now! If that market begins to flourish, the commercial ocean fish will get labelled "Free range salmon".

B
bagold53
BaldTexan said:
I can see it now! If that market begins to flourish, the commercial ocean fish will get labelled "Free range salmon".

What I have been waiting for in the stores. They say Wild in stores but I like free range better.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I want to see the 'open-water' based salmon farms to go away...the evidence continues to build that these farms can and do have a devastating negative effect on wild fish runs...

O
OnTheDrop
I wrote a paper on the Salmon Confidential documentary in one of my college writing classes last year. I should dig it up..

This is good news here... I'm optimistic about what the future holds for us regarding this subject.

N
Native Fisher
The biggest issue with any of these fish farms is the food, they often use commercial caught krill. They are having to go farther and farther away to get the stuff. Now they are searching antartica, oregon washington and california banned the harvest of krill. They also have very little idea about krill and other bait fish population levels, it just doesn't seem right to e to have nearly unregulated harvest of any species without monitoring it's population. A crash at that trophic level result in a cascading crash across all the levels and out wild fish will still suffer...I grew up with commercial fishing and logging in my family, but unfortunately I believe the days of most commercial fishing should be over, it just isn't sustainable in the long term and all we are doing is putting off the inevitable by allowing continued resource exploration. If the land based farms can come up with a better sustainable food source they really would be a great answer.

Top Bottom