Fethastyx vs GL2

N
Native Fisher
So I have about a $250 credit at cabelas, I broke a 6-10lb XMG, and was pretty displeased with the handle on the XMG anyway, so I don't want another one of those. I love my 6-8lb Si and my new rod will likely be an 8-12 or 8-17lb for times when nooks or higher flows in the beginning of steelhead season. The fethastyx model that caebals carries is the chrome series which they say is made in ridgefield WA, of course the GL2 is made in WA as well. I have never even held held either rod, and I don't know how they rate in the sensitivity dept. For those who know how do these two rods rate compared to an XMG or g1000 series in the lamiglas line up? I'd love to upgrade to an IMX or gl3 or something but that is not in the cards.

F
fish4life
I have never fished with a fethastyx but own many gl2s and one gl3. I will probable get yelled at on here for saying this but I switched from lamiglas to loomis because of breakage problems with lamiglas usually one every year or so. Since I have switched to loomis I have never had a rod break from fishing I did however slip in the mud and break one. I sent it to them and they replaced it for free. At that time I traded the new rod in at fishermans marine supply for the gl3 model. I can't tell enough difference between the gl3 and the gl2 to warrant the extra $100. I have not bought a rod in the last ten years from them so I can't speak about the products they are selling now but my loomis rods are still going strong after 10+ years. My go to rod for steel and coho and have also landed many springers on it is a 8'6" 8-17# casting rod.

E
eugene1
I don't have any Loomis rods to compare, but I do have two featha's in the steelie class.

Happy with both of them for what they do-so far!

H
halibuthitman
I tend to fish the lamis in the certified pro class for steelhead, I like them. But given the two options you mentioned its impossible to go wrong with a Gloomis.. they are venerable rods and are in my opinion the absolute most prevalent brand amongst world class hard core die hard steelhead junkies... that pretty much says it all. Myself, I cannot stand loomis flyrods. But the gear rods are very good tools. I know several guys who fish and love fetha stixs... so I guess its hard to loose either way.

P
plumb2fish
Get the 1025s 8-17.....I have landed Chinook up to 35 lbs on my 1025c

N
Native Fisher
THanks for everyones input, I don't get to spend a ton of money on rods or gear very often, so when I do, I end up over thinking it I guess.

C
ChezJfrey
Native Fisher said:
...I broke a 6-10lb XMG, and was pretty displeased with the handle on the XMG anyway, so I don't want another one of those...

That the stock/off-the-shelf carbon handle normally seen on those? I didn't care much for that either, as it seemed too slick. That's why I had my XMG custom built with an old-skool cork handle :) That said, I had the opportunity to fish an Edge STR 964 with a matte/scuffed type CF handle and I admit that was darn nice, but couldn't choke down the $600 price.

From what I gather on reviews, I don't think you can go wrong with either of the choices you're considering. The guy that built my rod, told me the blanks used in most of those rods in that class are all very similar sensitivity and probably won't be able to discern much difference in that regard.

jhop111
jhop111
I've owned and had snap a couple lamiglass rods.. Also a couple St Croix rods as well. I have yet to have a problem with any of my Loomis rods. I'm not anti or pro either way I just prefer what I currently use. As far as the difference on the gl3 vs gl2. .my gl3 could probably be replaced in 30 seconds at the store. The gl2 closer to 45 seconds maybe a minute tops if I broke either. :thumb:

O
OnTheDrop
I don't have much experience with Fetha myself, but do like their rods..I personally have never broke a Loomis or Lamiglas on any fish yet...

The XMG's have one purpose...Side drifting with the 6-10 model out of a boat,( The one you broke I believe ) they load up great on a bite....Never off the bank. You can't go wrong with Loomis ( Although, my high end rods tend to be Lami's )

Let me know how you feel about the Fetha if you go that route..

Cheers!

N
Native Fisher
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I don't have much experience with Fetha myself, but do like their rods..I personally have never broke a Loomis or Lamiglas on any fish yet...

The XMG's have one purpose...Side drifting with the 6-10 model out of a boat,( The one you broke I believe ) they load up great on a bite....Never off the bank. You can't go wrong with Loomis ( Although, my high end rods tend to be Lami's )

Let me know how you feel about the Fetha if you go that route..

Cheers!

I love my Si, it is far and away the best rod I have ever owned, it is the 6-8lb and I use it for bobber fishing and drift fishing off the bank. I had an 8-12Si, it didn't load up right IMO and was to stiff to throw the lighter weights I use on the creeks I fish. I chose the 6-10 xmg because I thought it would fit in between the two actions. The action was really nice and you are right the tip loads up great. I didn't like the real seat portion of the grip it felt funny and to far from the rod blank to get the best feeling. Which ever rod I end up getting will probably be a heavier rod 8-12 or 8-17, and it will drift heavier weights and have some more back bone. I have an 8-17 clarus that is light and crisp actioned that works really well, while it is fairly sensitive(I'd rate it above a G1000) it isn't as sensitive as I would prefer.

Last edited:
N
Native Fisher
I called Fetha styx today and spoke to one of the rod builders about the steelhead/chrome series. The designer says he worked for G.Loomis for 25 years in their design team, and that the chrome series fits some where between the GL2 and GL3 line up and the one I'm looking at is similar to an 1143. He confirmed they use Batson blanks, but use a mroe high end one, not the rainshadow brand but I think he said ITP or ATP maybe. Was a pretty knowledgeable dude...

S
Silvers&Steelies
I actually have both as my primary rods for steelhead and coho. I got the Fetha Styx Chrome 9'6" 8-12lb setup for my float rod and has worked great for jigs and bait. Even caught a springer on it when I was fishing for summers. I didn't know about them and won this rod in a raffle at the sportsman show 2 years ago and very impressed with it.

I have the 9' GL2 8-17 setup for drift and spinner/spoon mostly and love it. It has the sensitivity and backbone I wanted. Both rods have been great for steelhead and salmon.

One rod that I think is very under rated is the Berkeley IM8 series. Used one for a season as an affordable replacement for another GL2 I had that was stolen and was great for a sub $100 rod. I broke the IM8 because I accidentally stepped on it but was a good rod.