Teach me the art of jig head drifting

S
streamscream
Ok, got my sliding bobber and jig heads.

Do I have to "dead drift," not applying any kind of pulling action whatsoever??
Or do I give it some action to make the jig look more alive?

Where I fish is mild to moderate current, with very little ripple or no ripple when the flow is slow.

Thank you

B
bagold53
I generally let it dead drift, while keeping the line mended. But there are more experienced users that I am sure will add to this.

T
troutmasta
streamscream said:
Ok, got my sliding bobber and jig heads.

Do I have to "dead drift," not applying any kind of pulling action whatsoever??
Or do I give it some action to make the jig look more alive?

Where I fish is mild to moderate current, with very little ripple or no ripple when the flow is slow.

Thank you

You want your bobber to move at the same speed as the water. The under current and the rising and falling of the jig will give it "action"

Chromatose
Chromatose
Troutmaster is spot on.
But since you added No ripple and slow flow in your post, you might want to give your rod tip just a little twitch just so your Float/Bobber will go down a bit, but not under the water...........You might be very surprised. Good Luck!!

S
streamscream
God f**ing dammit
Last week I replaced the braided line on my spool with fluoro for spooning, and this week I'm rigging my gear for float drifting...
The worst part is that I dumped the braided into the trash can 'cause I was very pissed atm...

D
DrTheopolis
Not a common technique, and one I haven't used much in probably 20 years (where does the time go?), but in the slower stuff that you think holds fish, use a little heavier jig (depends on line size, and you guys know me by now - I fish ridiculously light, so I get away with a 1/4, but experiment with 3/8, and you can do what is now called "twitching" (we just called it "jigging" back then). Cast across upstream, like hardware, and slowly retrieve, and make very slight, slow tugs on the rod. In the right water, it's deadly. But don't be a snagger with it. We always used very long feathers for those jigs.

Biggest steelie I ever hooked (notice I didn't say "landed," because this thing was oh-wow-big, and wrapped me up on its way 3 miles upstream) was doing just that. Small hole on the upper part of a coast stream.

I think all but the smallest tug on a bobber setup will mess up your drift.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Dr, time flies when we are living the dream.
Twitch was meant just like I said, Slight vibration on the rod tip as so to vibrate the Float/Bobber. Light finesse fishing. Twitch the rod tip for a couple of seconds, then wait a few more seconds to see if your Float/Bobber disappears. Then try again. The way I have explained and if done right will not interfere with the normal presentation. Now mind you I am not tight lining to the Float/Bobber. When I am fishing in Slow waters I usually keep about 2 to 3 feet of line in the water. Jigging on the other hand, like you mentioned Dr, is just that. Jerking the line. which will of course will interfere with the presentation. Dr, light tackle for me is 1/100th on 8lb main and 6lb lead for Steelhead.......hehehe
But then I am using a 12` to 15` Rod. With that light of gear & longer rod, I have no problems retrieving a Bullet in a timely manor.

Last edited: