How do you keep warm in the winter?

M
montym
May be not a great subject, but I am worried about the winter fishing. Where I come from, the coldest any winter would be about may be 40 F, and if I may add Sunny. Sunny with a capital S, it never rains in the winter back home.

So, how should I keep warm when I am out fishing? I have some nice thermals, boots and jackets and all that, but what do you use to keep your hands warm? I was all set-up to go out this Saturday, but went straight back to bed as soon as I checked the temp by sticking out my hand out of the door... any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers
M

J
JeannaJigs
There's not much you can do to keep your hands warm. I have some buffalo gold fingerless gloves that work better than anything I've ever used but your hands will still get cold eventually. It's just part of winter fishing. Just layer up with thermals and keep some hand warmers in your pockets to periodically warm your hands. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

E
eugene1
Come on, it's a great subject, monty!

Bankin' it or in an open boat you need good rain gear. Grundens-type if not doing much work or breathable stuff if you are rowing or walking lots. As far as hands go, you just need to toughen up a bit and adapt to getting a little cold.

If you have a boat with a top, side curtains, back curtains, just bump the propane heat up a bit.

Best,

brandon4455
brandon4455
wool. can't say enough about it. for gloves specifically but socks as well in case your waders(or boots if you dont use waders) leak or if you take a spill . wool stays warm even when wet is why.

I always have several pairs of thermals/long johns stock piled in my dresser just for winter steelhead & trout fishing. i have an assortment of long sleeved shirt,sweaters,and a jacket which is what i wear in that order in cold weather,35 and under. 2 layers for heat one to block moisture. if you are bank fishing wearing waders in itself helps. i prefer breathable because you can wear the perfect amount of layers for winter or summer,but if warmth just for the winter is your only concern go buy some neoprenes.

C_Run
C_Run
I took an unplanned swim about a week ago in a driving rain. I quickly found out where all of my cotton garments were. It made for an unpleasant rest of the day. I have tried different fingerless gloves and can't say I really like any of them too much. It seems like I am constantly hooking the gloves but maybe it is because I am not used to them. Once you have picked the ice out of you guides after every other cast, you'll really know you're an Oregon fisherman. Have a good winter, monty.

Last edited:
G
grampa ron
My three cents worth :thumb:

Get a bunch of the chemical hand warmers, the smallest size. Put them in the back side of your gloves. Get some of the larger ones for your body. Wear bibs, your back stays a lot warmer. Wearing wool is best.

D
DirectDrive
Get good rain gear...do not skimp on rain gear
Keeping hands warm as staed above is difficult, especially if using a levelwind
Gloves that keep your hands toasty generally do not provide needed dexterity.

From another thread...

I work outside and have settled on the following 3 types...

For nasty, wet and cold weather I like to keep my hands dry but I need some dexterity.
Showa #377 has been working for me under those conditions.

For best dexterity with decent protection and good in warmer weather as well...
Atlas Nitrile #370 (not waterproof)

Utility
Atlas FIT
These were the best gloves of this type at one time....others have since copied them but I think Atlas is still best.

Good glove, limited dexterity, not waterproof.
This one features more of rubber/plastic hybrid type of palm.
It is not good in cold weather as the palm coating tends to wick heat away.

The 377 and 370 have nitrile palms which seem to insulate better.
All of these gloves are industrial grade and give good service.
I believe that all three are made by Showa although some carry the Atlas brand.

Also I often wear a zipper front hickory shirt and keep a spare pair of gloves inside the hickory.
Toasty warm, dry gloves ready for a change out in the most severe weather.

Good head gear.
Fleece with a wind break shell makes a good hood.
I have a heavy fleece hood that fits under my hard hat at work.
First deployment this year will be today !
Provides decent comfort.

O
OnTheDrop
Better get some good gear for your trip late this month Monty! :thumb:

jamisonace
jamisonace
I avoid fishing on the coldest days. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how many days you can fish here in shorts. I've done many winter steelhead floats in shorts and a light jacket.

If it is going to be cold, I like to wear sweat pants and a fleece under my waders and a fairly heavy jacket on top. I've never been uncomfortably cold.

T
troutmasta
I wear long johns. A good pair or wool wader socks and a hoodie- I rarely use a jacket unless its raining or snowing. Waders and Hoodie will do wonders trapping heat-

As far as gloves.

Latex/Nitrle under fingerless wool gloves. The only way to go. The wool works even when its wet and the nitrle keeps you dry...boom.

M
montym
Great tips all around, thanks folks. I am reasonably well stocked for regular winter and/or rain gear, mostly worried about my hands, guess I've got some solid pointers for some gloves shopping now. Probably a trip to the Columbia employee store is in order, they have some fishing gloves that should do well under fingerless woolen ones.

Cheers
M

D
DirectDrive
A couple of other gloves mentioned were Atlas FIT Thermal.
This is a warmer version of the FIT and the dexterity would not be that great.
Would be good for rowing, etc.

The Kinco 1890 looks like a good combo of dexterity and warmth.

It was mentioned that nitrile insulates better than latex.
I have noticed this in my experience as well.

J
JeannaJigs
I really, really like the Buffalo gold, i can't tell people enough how well it works. I will never go back to sheep's wool after using them. Buffalo down is more insulating and water repellant than sheep's wool. Super soft too, not itchy like sheep's wool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

G
gordo
I too have a problem with cold hands (Raynaud's Syndrome, which is basically a circulation problem to the fingers/toes). I don't have much of a solution while fishing, but when the fingers get too cold, I take a break and put on one of several pairs of my warmest gloves I always bring. If one pair gets wet, I move on to the next.

Those chemical heater packs work good, but in my experience, if they get wet or even just damp, they lose all their heat and stop working. That can be kind of hard to manage while fishing.

One other suggestion... again, not much help while you're fishing... but if you want to get your hands nice and toasty, I like to bring along a thermos full of something warm - a thermos of hot apple cider for my 3 year old (this does WONDERS for the mood!!!), and a thermos of coffee, or ok, maybe hot chocolate and Rumplemintz for me. Pour it in the lid and it will warm those hands right up as you cup it! And it also warms the spirit... win, win.

M
montym
Fleece base layers: check
Fingerless woolen gloves: check
Face mask and nitrile gloves: on the way
Thermos: check
Good rain gear: check
Fishing licenses: check
AWD vehicle: check
Winter fishing knowledge = 0

if you see someone with a face mask like I have in the attached pic, say hi...

Joking aside, great tips folks, much appreciated.

Cheers
M

20141109_175414.jpg

D
DirectDrive
Did the the aforementioned "under the hickory" glove warming method several times today.
Well, more than several times....very crappy day.
Fleece hoodie under the hard hat has been very good.
Need to pick up some Thermal FIT....the 370's and FIT's were barely hanging in there.

C_Run
C_Run
troutmasta said:
Waders and Hoodie

Switching from warmth to fashion...troutmasta has nailed it here. This is classic steelheader garb. Make sure the hoodie is not too clean or white and you may also wear a ball cap. Wear this and no one will suspect this is your first year at this.

C
ChezJfrey
C_Run said:
...and you may also wear a ball cap. Wear this and no one will suspect this is your first year at this.

LOL, I adopted that same strategy early on...always wear a baseball-style cap while fishing! Mine always has a fish emblem on it, too :)

B
bigboy70
And its also older then me chez need to upgrade like a 60$ Simms hat or along those lines

C
ChezJfrey
bigboy70 said:
And its also older then me chez need to upgrade like a 60$ Simms hat or along those lines

LOL, you mean the wool ski hat I wear over the ball-style cap. That is indeed 28 years old!