Big bluegill .... what do I do for state record ?

S
shotgun
I have a big pond just outside of Silverton .... It has a lot of big bluegill in it ... I have caught 2 bluegills over 2 pounds while fishing for bass .... From what I can find out ... the Oregon State Record for Bluegill is 2 ounds 4 ounces ... I am sure one of them was bigger that we caught ....

Living in Silverton ... if we catch one that we think may be a new record ... what do we do to get it qualified ? ... I do not want to kill it ... Any info would be great ... The pictures are off my small docck this summer ....
CASSIE  FISH 007.jpgCASSIE  FISH 005.jpg
Thanks for the help ... Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: n8r1
C
Combat Chuck
I dont think private waters count anymore. But you would have to get it to a 'certified scale'. Whatever that means.

F
Finneus Polebender
yep changed a few years back must be public to be a record although they may still print it with a notation.

troutdude
troutdude
Everyone's invited to go fishing at Shotgun's pond this weekend! <kidding> :lol:

Too bad that they don't count "local ponds" anymore. That's how a guy got the state record bucketmouth.

Oh well, I bet that you have fun catching them anyway.

P.S. Don't forget to feed the fish!

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
you just lie and say i came from somewhere else. to keep it alive use a cooler full of water.

F
Finneus Polebender
Thuggin4Life said:
you just lie and say i came from somewhere else. to keep it alive use a cooler full of water.

Theres an idea, but seriously with blue gill that size who cares about them! one can only imagine the record size LM that is prob feeding on them as we speak!!!!!!

C
ChezJfrey
Finneus Polebender said:
Theres an idea, but seriously with blue gill that size who cares about them! one can only imagine the record size LM that is prob feeding on them as we speak!!!!!!

Yeah, it probably dines on 3 pounders every day for an evening snack ;)

N
nwkiller
do you have any pictures of the ones you caught?...did you weigh them? sounds like a big fish to me! can i some play?

T
Thuggin4Life
Beter yet let me have one for my fish tank.

C
CFishRun
The best thing to do is, firstly don't tell anyone where it's at. Secondly, get your fly rod and practice your casting on em. A two pound bull bluegill will pull like a freight train on a five weight fly rod. Thirdly, catch a few of the ten inchers (the small ones, I can't believe those would be considered small but you've got a gold mine) and fillet them up; add batter and hot oil and enjoy the world's finest dining experience. Salmon taste good but you can't beat the sweat white flesh of panfish. Lastly, harvesting from this pond will keep their numbers in check. Bluegill tend to get out of control if left to their own bidding.

I would bet their aren't a lot of sizable predators in that pond, or perhaps the cover is oh so fine for concealing monster gills. But if the cover is good and the water is deep enough to maintain some cool oxygen fresh water, there could be a HOG of a bass in there. Enjoy that on your five weight.

I'm salivating just thinking about lacing one on a fly rod.

H
halibuthitman
these pond fish are no different than texas deer ranch bucks, managed and controlled to provide an end product, not a true large animal from the wild... so they should not be considered for the record books- sounds like a nice pond, you should just enjoy it and forget about records... after all do you really want the whole world trying to tresspass on your pond? good fishing

F
Finneus Polebender
Have seen it several times just untouched know a similar place in town no one can fish it the gills there are crazy, and every spring the owners watch baby geese taken by monster bass that have not been fished in over 15yrs. Same deal if the food supply is there for large gills, and lets just say if your lucky enuff to have access to such a place, go big or go home.

Last edited:
S
shotgun
Bluegills / State Record ... more pictures

Bluegills / State Record ... more pictures

If that is the states rule on records ... No matter how much I disagree with the state ... I will have to live with it.

The pond ... which is a 18 acre quarry lake 50 feet deep at its deepest and spring fed .... is not some small pond where we are trying to grow state records ... we just bought the property this last summer ... and it has not been fished ( very little ) since 1991 when it was stocked with bass and bluegill by someone .... Plus the lake is completely private ... so everything was left alone to grow .... Just shows you what can be without a over fishing public on the water .....cassie 009.jpgcassie 010.jpg

So ... we will enjoy .... Pictures are one just under 2 pounds that my son caught ....
Thanks.... Doug

C
ChezJfrey
Whoah, you weren't kidding...that Bluegill is huge!

troutdude
troutdude
X 2! Most of the 'gills that I've ever caught were no bigger than the palm of my hand.

Let's go gang...BBQ @ Doug's this weekend!!! LOL

C
ChezJfrey
troutdude said:
X 2! Most of the 'gills that I've ever caught were no bigger than the palm of my hand.

Let's go gang...BBQ @ Doug's this weekend!!! LOL

Yeah! A 4 wt and some 2 lb. 'gills could be fun!

N
nwkiller
wow......defenitly a big fish.....

M
Modest_Man
I would love to try and do some catch and release bluegill fishing with my 3wt. Hint hint. I live just down the way in Woodburn.

troutdude
troutdude
ChezJfrey said:
Yeah! A 4 wt and some 2 lb. 'gills could be fun!

I'm ready to grab my 5' hollow glass Lami spin rod, and give it a whirl!

I think that maybe it's time for a Bluegill FISH OFF!!! <another hint>

:pray: :pray: :pray:

Last edited: