Deschutes steel late November?

R
Rmacneil656
Hi All,
I'm new to the board and as of this year new to the swing. I fished the Deschutes in late August as a intro to swinging flies and managed to stick a fish. Since then I've gotten my own setup and dialed in my casting. Weather and generall conditions permitting it looks like I'm gonna get another shot at fishing the D this year, but its going to be late November. Like day or two after thanksgiving late. In California steelhead season really never started until October/November so it blew my mind learning about Summer Steel on the D. I'll also be in a car thats fwd. If it snows I have chains, but on the dirt roads I may be in trouble.

Anyways, any advise for fishing the D at the end of November? Should I bother? Any regs I may not be familiar with that I should know ( generally I practice C&R and I only fish barbless regardless of regs)? Should I fish a scandi line again, or bring the skagit for intruders? What section of the river, should I focus on the upper stretches like the warm springs area?

Any offerings of opinions are greatly appreciated!

D
DirectDrive
The access road from Maupin to Mack's Canyon is where I would go.
Many spots to fish/camp along that road and you can hike into the roadless area downstream of Mack's Canyon campground.
Your car will be fine.

Jump on Google Earth and have a look around.

R
Rmacneil656
DirectDrive said:
The access road from Maupin to Mack's Canyon is where I would go.
Many spots to fish/camp along that road and you can hike into the roadless area downstream of Mack's Canyon campground.
Your car will be fine.

Jump on Google Earth and have a look around.

Thanks for the response. I floated the area from about 6 miles above Macs to the campground before the canyon. Unfortunately I know the water better from the west side of the river. But in the past few days as the trip has been coming into view I have pretty much been living on google maps.

D
DirectDrive
Google EARTH not maps.
Get in you cyber helo and fly it low and slow.

S
steelhead_slayer
warm springs area its a good place to find fish later in the Year

R
Rmacneil656
steelhead_slayer said:
warm springs area its a good place to find fish later in the Year

Are we talking like the town of Warm springs or the trib warm springs? Or both?

Btw google earth is changing my life right now.

C
ChezJfrey
Rmacneil656 said:

LOL, yeah, google earth will do that. I don't know much about Deschutes later in the year, but given what I can see, somewhere above Sherars might be a decent bet.

D
DirectDrive
Rmacneil656 said:

"Warm Springs" to Trout Creek is a popular and easy float.
In quotes because WS refers to the put in where Hwy 26 crosses the river.

BTW, did you see the nude sun bathers at Nookie Rock ?

:)

S
steelhead_slayer
Rmacneil656 said:

The town of warm springs. Mecca flat just off the highway is a good place to start.

R
Rmacneil656
DirectDrive said:
"Warm Springs" to Trout Creek is a popular and easy float.
In quotes because WS refers to the put in where Hwy 26 crosses the river.

BTW, did you see the nude sun bathers at Nookie Rock ?

:)

Lol I don't know where Nookie Rock is, but I'm sure I'll find it now!

R
Rmacneil656
steelhead_slayer said:
The town of warm springs. Mecca flat just off the highway is a good place to start.

Thanks, I'll have to look into thay. I see a lot of guide boats on google parked along that stretch, but its hard to tell when the picture was taken, so I dont know if it was trout or SH season.

I like the idea of fishing that area cause it will cut a good amount of time off the drive, but at the same time I want to catch fish!

Anyonw with any fly & line reccomedations? Should I stick with the floating line and a purple hilton style fly? Or should I add a bit of weight with a bunny leech? I know its hard to tell this far out, but with winter and colder I have traditionally gone deeper through pools ( but on much narrower river).