One more tagged out

G
getsdwyz
todays catch on the lake.took my buddy ken out this morning and hooked into the first fish about 30 minutes into it but released it had some funky bumps all over it thinking it was Myxobolus squamalis a parasite i will add a picture? the bite was slow but we manged to pick up a nice 29 inch chrome beauty and a monster 19' SRC that was about 6' across.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
How do the sea runs taste? Like trout or more like salmon? I love salmon but I'm not a fan of trout.

B
billfisher
Another good day I'd say! Some nice sea runs this year. To bad about the one, but probley fun catching it!

G
getsdwyz
billfisher said:
Another good day I'd say! Some nice sea runs this year. To bad about the one, but probley fun catching it!

Yeah we have caught some big sea runs this year. Most of them back behind Rocky point

G
getsdwyz
jamisonace said:
How do the sea runs taste? Like trout or more like salmon? I love salmon but I'm not a fan of trout.

great eating . i like brineing them and putting them in the smoker

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Great fish, doesn't effect anything but flavor (SRC taste more like kokanee or jack coho), but I don't think that was a SRC, they dumped some big rainbows in late this year, I caught 3 while waiting for the coho. The fins and rainbow on that fish have me thinking rainbow.

G
getsdwyz
rogerdodger said:
Great fish, doesn't effect anything but flavor (SRC taste more like kokanee or jack coho), but I don't think that was a SRC, they dumped some big rainbows in late this year, I caught 3 while waiting for the coho. The fins and rainbow on that fish have me thinking rainbow.

so i always have a hard time with that i thought the red stripes under the bottom jaw ? .yesterday a caught a 17 trout with a large mouth ? what is the true giveaway to a SRC

E
eugene1
Good going on the fishing, nice seeing the lake ho's this season.

Agree about roger's assessment of Rainbow trout vs. cutt.

E
eugene1
getsdwyz said:
so i always have a hard time with that i thought the red stripes under the bottom jaw ?

Yeah, the red stripes below the mouth are a really good indication. Did your fish have them?

Best,

G
getsdwyz
eugene1 said:
Yeah, the red stripes below the mouth are a really good indication. Did your fish have them?

Best,

yeah ?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
here is direct comparison, SRC and rainbow I caught in Siltcoos in early OCT.

check the fin color/shape, especially bottom one near the tail...cheers, roger

G
getsdwyz
rogerdodger said:
here is direct comparison, SRC and rainbow I caught in Siltcoos in early OCT.

check the fin color/shape, especially bottom one near the tail...cheers, roger

thanks for the clarification

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
That's still a nice trout! I love catching them that big in the river!