Throw away your eggs, your herring and scents!

Casting Call
Casting Call
Has anyone done a read of "SPINNER MAGIC".... by Jim Bedford. A Frank Amato publication. I have tried Bedfords techniques fot a full evolution of seasons. MY sucess rate has increased by fourty percent. No more cures, gloves/herring and scents for me. I now cover 80% more water in less time than traditional baits. I also get 80% more presentation all in the same amount of time and area. Let me know what you think of SPINNER MAGIC. Tony

E
eugene1
Not familiar with that publication, myself.

I like spinners and use them, but I will also keep my herring, gloves, and flashers! Match the hatch and use what the guides are using.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'd like to improve my spinner success. I always seem to put them away because I have more success with other things. (Except for coho but I can't say there's much technique to chucking spinners for bay coho)

I'll have to add that book to my library. Good tip!

Casting Call
Casting Call
eugene1 said:
Not familiar with that publication, myself.

I like spinners and use them, but I will also keep my herring, gloves, and flashers! Match the hatch and use what the guides are using.
E-1 I will never throw out my bugs! Ya! match the hatch is the only way to go for the little guys. Do you use spoons behind flashers? Like "A.Reekers" they have alwaays done me well on the delta. .......Jamisonace get the read of S.M. and I bet your success % WILL increase.

troutdude
troutdude
Cannot agree more Tony. Ever since I bought Jed Davis's spinner book, in the early 80's, I've used spinners with great success. Jed's scientific approach, was much akin to the philosophy of "match the hatch". Jim Beford, is also a spinner guru.

I've also greatly enhanced my catch ratio; when I later tossed spoons into the mix in streams and lakes (Little Cleo's, Thomas Buoyant's, etc).

Can't go wrong with hardware; once you unlock the "match the hatch" scientific enigma's.

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
lol almost sounds like a "infomercial"

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutdude said:
Can't go wrong with hardware; once you unlock the "match the hatch" scientific enigma's.

I like to think of it as "matching the light"...

S
sapo
@GoBlueFan I know sounds like an ad haha, however I will have to see if my library has this book...

D
DrTheopolis
I fish spinners almost exclusively. In the right conditions, the success rate can be quite high. In adverse conditions, maybe not so much. But definitely about using the right size and flash (you can keep all your different colors, it's all about how reflective they are) for the right water. I've been doing it a looooong time, and there's definitely a learning curve.

Casting Call
Casting Call
DrTheopolis said:
I fish spinners almost exclusively. In the right conditions, the success rate can be quite high. In adverse conditions, maybe not so much. But definitely about using the right size and flash (you can keep all your different colors, it's all about how reflective they are) for the right water. I've been doing it a looooong time, and there's definitely a learning curve.
Dr.T you are 100% correct! Reflectivity is the science BEHIND(yes it's a pun). Science is neither right or wrong,just the proof of the facts. Tony

O
OnTheDrop
Though I completely agree that spinners work well for Salmon and Steelhead, and sometimes really well, I'll still stick to my eggs and yarnies!

I can cover every inch of water with a bait, yarn-ball, etc..and get a lot of fish doing it. I've never seen a spinner out shine eggs or artificials.. ( Except for the Deschutes, and SOME inland Summer run fish )

My theory, for steelhead and salmon in the Valley/Coast, is that almost ALL the fish will hit bait, while only a percentage will hit plugs/spinners or other forms of hardware. I always chalk it up that the most aggressive fish will hit the shiny stuff..

Just MY OPINION regarding the matter. I still enjoy hooking fish on Spinners and Spoons.. My first steelhead ever fell to a 'Steely' on the Clackamas 12 years ago when I was 11 years old. Will never forget the grab!

I'll have to give SpinnerMagic a look, thanks Tony.

Cheers,

F
FishOn420
I have actually been wanting to get into using spinners more but I haven't ever had good success with them. I actually tried spinners at night once and hooked into a couple good fish which seemed really weird to me because it was dark outside and no light could reflect off the spinners. I will have to check this book out and see if it helps with my success rate. Thank you for posting.

Casting Call
Casting Call
I Want to thank all of you for delightful input.I found all the thoughts,adittudes theories,reasonings and stories validate the subject of spinner hardware. Keep-up the input. Thanks again! Tony

M
Mutiny
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm planning on spinner fishing for steel this winter, and picked up a copy of the book at the library yesterday.

D
DrTheopolis
Mutiny said:
I'm planning on spinner fishing for steel this winter

You need to pick-and-choose your water a little more when fishing spinners for winters. The medium-depth, medium current stuff is good, and slow riffles. Not necessarily the best holding water (but sometimes it is), but it's what is easiest to work. If you can work a stretch effectively, work it. If not, move on (not excusive to hardware, by any means).

M
Mutiny
In other words, don't waste your time if you can't make a good cast/swing. I've found this to be true with fly fishing, no point in flogging the same seam for half an hour if you get instant line drag every time.

Casting Call
Casting Call
When I work a SEAM, it's run & gun! I think that for me 30 min is to long to hammer a spinner in a seam. 5 to 10 min. in a seam to work the colum, then it's time for a change-up in speed. If you know for sure that fish are there, change spinners. Tony

Top Bottom