Sturgeon fishing locations?

F
FishOn420
I have never tried targeting sturgeon before so I have no idea where to fish for them or what kind of set up to use for bait. My buddy caught one this Sunday 10/26 and was just big enough to keep. After eating some of the best cooked fish ever; I decided I would love to catch more of these fish to eat. My buddy caught his in the Multnomah Channel with night crawlers but I am not sure how good of a area that is for Sturgeon. Any and all information would be awesome.

F
fish4life
I don't think retention is allowed may want to check the regulations.

B
Big3d
I think your friend illegally harvested that sturgeon, unless they reopened the season and I missed it. That being said, I use squid mostly. Lots of folks use anchovies sardies and herring, among other things. There are lots of deep holes near downtown and all the way up the willamette. I like the west linn dock myself. Good luck, make sure you double check regulations and know that if you get caught keeping one while the season is closed you'll get a huge fine.

F
FishOn420
Big3d said:
I think your friend illegally harvested that sturgeon, unless they reopened the season and I missed it. That being said, I use squid mostly. Lots of folks use anchovies sardies and herring, among other things. There are lots of deep holes near downtown and all the way up the willamette. I like the west linn dock myself. Good luck, make sure you double check regulations and know that if you get caught keeping one while the season is closed you'll get a huge fine.

OMG I had no idea we weren't supposed to keep him. I will definitely double check the regulations before going out to fish them. Thank you for the advice.

bass
bass
When I first read your post I was kind of upset. Glad to hear that you understand the issue. The only place for sturgeon retention is the upper Willamette (above the falls).

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Like Big3d said squid and herring work good. Sandshrimp too! herring work better in the spring time I heard because salmon fishermen use them plugcut

F
FishOn420
bass said:
When I first read your post I was kind of upset. Glad to hear that you understand the issue. The only place for sturgeon retention is the upper Willamette (above the falls).

I am very sorry and I always want to abide by the rules and regulations and will do my best to do so in the future. Thank you all for your advice.

bass
bass
FishOn420 said:
I am very sorry and I always want to abide by the rules and regulations and will do my best to do so in the future. Thank you all for your advice.

I hear you and I am glad that it was an honest mistake.

My two cents on sturgeon fishing since I do a fair bit of it. The exact bait is not all that important. I mostly just use anchovies, year round. Minnowmagnet (another really good sturgeon fisherman) usually only uses herring year round. We both do very well. Not often I see someone outfishing us.

If I don't get a bite after 20 minutes (moving my casts every 3-5 minutes) I change locations. Squid does offer the advantage of being tougher so that can help if there are a lot of bait stealers around. On the down side it is stinkier (which is why I use anchovies and MM uses herring). I sometimes squirt some scent on my bait, so that it smells better to me. I do like to rub the scent on my leader since I feel it will mask any foreign scent there.

Not sure about shore fishing locations for sturgeon, there are some folks here who do that. If you are fishing from a boat. Mouth of Swan Island, Toyota Hole, Elk rock island, ... Sturgeon are everywhere in the river. Most times if you can find a bit of a hole or depression it will at least have some fish in or near it.

Best of luck, and remember only one single point barbless hook can be used.

H
HereFishy
Speaking as the self-appointed "Sturgeon General", I can say, without a doubt, that retention is ONLY legal above the falls. No need to check the synopsis. That's the rule (on the Willy anyways). I have heard rumors that ODFW is going to open the waters below that for retention some time early next year. Even then, it will only be another 2 day opportunity like they did on Oct. 18th and 19th of last year.

Good luck, bud.
Kyle

p.s. I've never had bad luck using herring. Tried some perch and bluegill that I pulled out of a slough in Salem the day before... Nothing.... Can't go wrong with herring.