Siuslaw fishing

E
Eoughphily
Hey guys, I'm new to fishing (just started last month), caught my first salmon (coho) shortly after, and now the fishing bug has caught me. I live near Oakridge, but I make regular trips multiple times a week out to the siuslaw. I don't have a boat so I am limited to bank fishing. Where I first started fishing at the dump or north jetti seem to have called down so I have been heading upstream near brickerville. I still have a lot to learn on this style of river fishing, usually a slip bobber with some roe. I will be heading out that way tomorrow if anybody wants to join me. I'm all open to tips and new methods to get a fish on my line as I have not had any luck yet in this area.

B
bagold53
Eoughphily - personally never fished the river but I know a lot of people on the forum do. Unfortunatly the forum is having intermittant issues for people trying login or view different threads. As soon as people are able to get on I am sure you will get lots of advice. I would hit you up tomorrow but I am heading over to the WIlson and Trask tomorrow also bank fishing.

E
Eoughphily
Thank you for the reply bagold, I was experiencing some of those issues last night. I'm on vacation till Monday, so my goal is to be fishing every day till then starting tomorrow.

E
Eoughphily
Heading out to the coast this morning. Anybody care to join me?

E
Eoughphily
No luck today at tide, just a 10" chum

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Eoughphily said:
No luck today at tide, just a 10" chum

Chum what?

E
Eoughphily
IMG_20141030_191533.jpg

Not sure, the guy fishing next to me said it was a chum. Second one I have caught there.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
looks like a chinook smolt to me. no chum anywhere near the Siuslaw as far as I know...roger

E
Eoughphily
rogerdodger said:
looks like a chinook smolt to me. no chum anywhere near the Siuslaw as far as I know...roger

I don't think it was a Chinook smolt. The shape of the mouth is similar to a small mouth bass, but deffinately not a bass. the teath were set pretty far back and not on the gum line.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
yeah, it is hard to tell from the picture, ModestMan will probably know what would be in the Slaw just above tide...roger

M
mikeredding
Siuslaw fishing

my money is on pikeminnow.

Markk
Markk
for what it is worth my vote is for pikeminnow

E
eugene1
Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Wow it's crazy how not a lot of fish being caught upriver. I mean we got good water levels and temps but the fish are just not bitting. Some hear and there but not what I expected

E
Eoughphily
GoBlueFan said:
Wow it's crazy how not a lot of fish being caught upriver. I mean we got good water levels and temps but the fish are just not bitting. Some hear and there but not what I expected

I'm glad I'm not the only one not having any luck upriver. I've tried brickerville where you can at least see the occasional one rolling and Whittaker creak where there is no action of any kind. A boater trolling by said he heard near Indian creek is where they're all at but I haven't been up that way to check it out yet. Is anybody else having any luck and where?

J
JeannaJigs
the siuslaw up near Whittaker creek is closed!! The deadline is the forks! Please familiarize yourself with the regs and the deadlines!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

T
troutmasta
Looks like a chub. Or a pike minnow to me. Defenetly not a chum.

hobster
hobster
JeannaJigs said:
the siuslaw up near Whittaker creek is closed!! The deadline is the forks! Please familiarize yourself with the regs and the deadlines!

Yeah, WAY past the deadline........NO fishing up there for salmon!!

E
Eoughphily
JeannaJigs said:

Can you please point out where it says that. Page 34 lists 1. Mainstream upstream to Whittaker creek including tidewater: open for adipose fin clipped steelhead Jan. 1 - march 31 and may 24 - December 31. Open for Chinook may 24 - December 31.

But upstream from Whitaker creek is closed. I can fish siuslaw just town stream of the creek right? I cannot find on the odfw website anything closed here, just lake creek area. Please guide me where this information is that says siuslaw is closed below Whittaker creek.

Thanks for the heads up if I'm wrong.

J
JeannaJigs
You absolutely cannot go off of what's in the regular reg book for coastal salmon. They issue salmon regs every July, it is a separate insert but is always available online, but can be found on the counter of any licensing agency. The siuslaw is CLOSED absolutely 100% above lake creek.