Hummingbird 597 dhci

11fisherman
Purchased boat few weeks ago with hummingbird 597 dh ci. Seems like a good one anyone have any opinons or have one.

bass
bass
I have one for my kayaks and I love it. I use split DSI/2D the most. The DSI definitely helps me understand what I am seeing in 2D mode. I use the zoom split screen pretty often. The split 200/455kHz view is perfect for locating the precise edge of a steep drop within a few feet.

No chinks in the armor as far as I can tell.

M
mikeredding
I had the same model in my last boat and it tended to freeze up often. They only way to get it restarted was to actually release it from the base, snap it back in and repower up. Other than that I liked it.

N
nwdunerider
My Humminbird freezes up every time if I dont turn it off before I start my engine.
Then I have to release it from the base to reset it

bass
bass
I never have any freeze up problems on the kayak. One thing I read was that if you have your unit on the same battery you use for starting that the drop in voltage during a start can cause problems with the unit.

The following website has a wealth of information on HB units. I would imagine that all the major vendors have sites like this.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/7815791/1

In reading through the site, a lot of problems were traced back to low voltage to the unit. Thus, if you are using your starting battery to run the FF you may have to make sure you do not see a voltage drop when you start.