First salmon ever!

R
Rob
I moved not long ago from the east coast, spent most of my life fishing for trout, smallmouth, and catfish. This was my first time out on the Wilson. Didn't really know what I was doing, but got lucky and bagged an elderly looking coho. Definitely an older fish, but was a heck of a good time fighting something that size on such a small body of water! Got the bug now and learned a bit from a fellow fisherman out there, ready to trade up my bobber and jig for some eggs and sand shrimp!

B
Bgunder
Nice fish, congrats.Nothing like feeling the power of a bigger fish for the first time. That looks like it might be a chinook but its a little hard to tell from the photo.

T
troutmasta
That an old Chinook.
Looks like a male to me-

Nice Fish!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
yep, really dark Chinook. that first salmon you will remember, now hopefully you will find some fresher ones! cheers, roger

F
FG_Fishing8
Great feeling now, isn't it?

jhop111
jhop111
Excellent job. Now your gonna need a bigger net :thumb:

S
steelheader19
GNice boot... Many of the fish are starting to change colors and so fish low in the system for brigher and fresh fish ... Use a bobber and egg/shrimp combo with some anise and you will have non stop action... Like I said fish low and in deep holes...

Tight lines everyone...

R
Rob
jhop111 said:
Excellent job. Now your gonna need a bigger net :thumb:

Haha, no kidding. Had my trout net with me out of habit, didn't do me much good at all. Appreciate the tips, will definitely check out some spots lower in the system over the next couple of weeks. Also, anyone know of a way to get my hands on some eggs, or do I just have to go bag a hen and earn them?

J
jesse202505
Rob said:
Haha, no kidding. Had my trout net with me out of habit, didn't do me much good at all. Appreciate the tips, will definitely check out some spots lower in the system over the next couple of weeks. Also, anyone know of a way to get my hands on some eggs, or do I just have to go bag a hen and earn them?

Most tackle shops sell cured eggs. Fisherman's marine in Oregon city and sportsman's warehouse on 82nd does too. If you do bag a nice hen one day try curing your own. Cheaper and nice to catch fish on anything that's home made

D
DirectDrive
Welcome to the PNW !
I came from MA a long time ago.

You can now tell your grandkids that you tangled with Black Bart himself !

O
OnTheDrop
Nice job.

Store bought eggs suck-period. You are better off using a straight Sandshrimp or Jig until you learn how to cure your own or somebody hooks you up. Nate from Nates bait sells some a few places but even those are subpar.

Good luck,

M
Moe
I use the nates bait ruby red and my own cured with pautzke balls o fire, I haven't noticed much of a difference. if the fish are there in numbers you shouldn't have trouble getting into them with store bought eggs.

you may also try cured coon shrimp. works great for steelhead

T
troutmasta
I was forced into buying a jar of eggs from the store this year-
I bought some eggs from fishermens that were cured with TNT- We got four nooks OFF of one jar-
I would give them my endorsement-

O
OnTheDrop
For sure. Coon shrimp can kill the Steelys.

I know store bought eggs can get the "occasional" fish. When you master your own it's the difference between a fish or two a day to 10+ a day.

O
OnTheDrop

I know store bought eggs can get the "occasional" fish. When you master your own it's the difference between a fish or two a day to 10+ a day.

S
skunk
SteelmonKiller20 said:

That there is true. I had a buddy give me some 'home brewed' and yep, they work much better. I make store bought work, but there is a diff. in just quality too. I wonder if the store bought are the less than quality eggs to start with.