Thread: Fire pit distance to structure law

V.I.P.

Question Fire pit distance to structure law

Does anyone happen to know the Oregon law for how far a fire pit can be away from any structure?

Experienced Member Dichrofisher's Avatar
    I would be surprised to hear of such a law. Couldn't you even have a fire pit inside of a structure assuming there is some sort of chimney? Maybe call your local firehouse and ask for advice.
    Last edited by Dichrofisher; 03-29-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: bad grammer
    Scott Floyd Glassworks Custom Fused/stained glass
    (Email): CopperWizard@gmail.com

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichrofisher View Post
    I would be surprised to hear of such a law. Couldn't you have would think a fire pit inside of a structure assuming there is some sort of chimney? Maybe call your local firehouse and ask for advice.
    I meant for outside. I was told once that I had to have my barbeque grill at least thirty feet from my house, but that was twenty years ago.

Super Moderator
    I spent three years as a firefighter in your area, and I can't recall any code regarding outdoor distances. I don't think there was even a minimum distance for outdoor burn piles. Dichro is right though, call the local FD and confirm it.
    E.J.

Unicorn (def.) "Creature mythical to all except those who have access to horse tranquilizers, a walrus tusk (or a length of broomhandle), and a hot glue gun".

www.eamonbishop.com
    www.irish-copeland.com

I know, for apartments in my area, the rule for BBQ's is 10ft from a structure. As far as a house and a fire pit, I have no clue. Back in Texas I worked for the local FD, there were no guidelines and I don't think the question ever came up. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    So other than that Mrs.Lincoln, how was the play?

There is not a state law. I got into a battle on BBQs and such with a former landlord. The Cities of Beaverton and Hillsboro have all now adopted international standards that do require BBQs to be 10 feet from living structures and doorways. Some other towns may have adopted these IFCI codes that I'm not yet aware of. I know Portland was talking about it as well.

V.I.P.
    I work with an ex fireman and he said there's no law regarding BBQ's and/or recreational fire pits.

Moderator Top Author JeannaJigs's Avatar
    outdoor firepits (like the ones they sell in every garden center in every department store) are not permitted within Eugene city limits (you will get a nice fine). otherwise you're golden.
    -Jeanna-
    (Gee-Nuh)
    (Not Jenna)

Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love, it will not lead you astray. ~Rumi

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeannaJigs View Post
    outdoor firepits (like the ones they sell in every garden center in every department store) are not permitted within Eugene city limits (you will get a nice fine). otherwise you're golden.
    Really. Hmm. I live in Marcola. I guess I'll have to ask the fire chief up the road. I want to build a nice looking brick or stone one and I don't want to do all the work only to get a fat fine. Do you know if Springtucky has the same law?

Another place to take a look LRAPA: Lane Regional Air Protection Agency. If a backyard fire pit is allowed, it may fall under the LRAPA laws.

Jig'n

Moderator Top Author JeannaJigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TTFishon View Post
    Really. Hmm. I live in Marcola. I guess I'll have to ask the fire chief up the road. I want to build a nice looking brick or stone one and I don't want to do all the work only to get a fat fine. Do you know if Springtucky has the same law?
    I don't think springtucky has the same law...but I can't be for certain...and If you're in marcola, you're probably in the clear, but don't quote me on that lol.
    -Jeanna-
    (Gee-Nuh)
    (Not Jenna)

Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love, it will not lead you astray. ~Rumi

V.I.P.
    A lot of people here use barrels for burning their garbage or they have a big fire for burning yard debris. We've been here for three and a half years and the people have the same fires all the time so it's probably ok.

Super Moderator
    Just remember that if those people do use their burn barrels or burn piles, they still need to call LRAPA in order to see if burning is allowed that day. There is an exception for fires that are used for cooking. I would still call Marcola FD and ask them about the pit and it's use.
    E.J.

Unicorn (def.) "Creature mythical to all except those who have access to horse tranquilizers, a walrus tusk (or a length of broomhandle), and a hot glue gun".

www.eamonbishop.com
    www.irish-copeland.com

V.I.P.
    I finally got a hold of the fire department here in Marcola and he said it's ok. Thanks for your input.

Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon
Steelhead Fishing in Oregon
Salmon Fishing in Oregon
Trout Fishing in Oregon
Bass Fishing in Oregon