2014 Steelhead recap (Clack focus)

C
ChezJfrey
I was reviewing my notes this year and find that I am at the exact same number of banked steelhead for 2014 so far as I was for the entirety of 2013. In the interest of keeping a little mystery, we'll just say it's more than the number of initial tag slots, less than 100 ;)

What I find disturbing, is that the Clack, my primary river as it's so close and convenient, was a slight struggle. I have a couple spots that I did extremely well in 2012 and 2013, but did not pan out when I targeted them at the appropriate times of the run this time around.

Killer spot lower down for the arriving winters was way down...hooked a few, but nowhere near the numbers I nabbed in 2013.

Another spot lower down, I only hooked one, and that was only the result of a desperate-motivated casts, gridding into water where I'd never caught steelhead and after a bit of wandering, got a surprise not too far down river from 'my spot'. Again below the success for this area during 2013.

A particular mid-river spot I like was a complete bust...and this was a spot I got my first ever daily limit back in 2012.

A couple higher spots for summers were also complete busts, especially one of my favorites that for the last couple years I termed my 'money' spot got me absolutely nothing this year.

Another higher, 'flat spot' was a tad low for number of fish, but was able to nab a few, again lower than last year.

I had to adapt, walk, and scout others...you know, actual work, and I'm not sure I liked it after settling into relative comfort last year (remember, I caught steelhead in every month of 2013 on the Clack!), LOL

But I was able to scrape up the numbers to match 2013 (partly because I cheated with two trips to the Wilson, two Sandy trips, and a Deschutes trip, ;) ) and any further fish in 2014 will put me at my highest success rate so far in my short steelheading career...phew! :)

E
eugene1
ChezJfrey said:
remember, I caught steelhead in every month of 2013 on the Clack!

You're a summer-run machine, dude! Well winters too.

Hope you break the record this year. Just because it's been tougher this year, makes it somewhat more of an accomplishment as well!

Best,

J
Jordy
I am one fish away from a milestone and have bee. For a few trips. Its a jinx!

O
OnTheDrop
It's part of the game Chez. You should have a rebounding winter this year. I am anticipating a good return on a lot of rivers, including the Clack. I can't wait.

Good luck,

T
troutmasta
ChezJfrey said:
In the interest of keeping a little mystery, we'll just say it's more than the number of initial tag slots, less than 100 ;)

So 21 then...[emoji109] ?

C
ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
So 21 then...[emoji109] ?

LOL...funny guy.

Just the summers are higher than that, bub.

D
dozer365
Safe to say it's more then me lol. An I'd also venture to say close to 47 banked fish.... If I count coho and nooks I got u I think. But that's not allowed I'm sure :)