Your go to spinner for kings

U
upperroguepirate
Having moved to Florence in sept. I've noticed that those who hooked kings from shore all seem to have used solid pink bodies with a big "Colorado" type blades. One guy caught his on a 1oz solid pink rooster tail but can't find them anywhere. A native gal caught 2 kings on what looked like the salmon slayer that sportsman's sells but it doesn't have the eye on the body. I went to see if they had it and they didn't. a guy did lose about a 30 lb king yesterday on a red super hoochie. I plan to buy me some very good spinners from an outfit in Eugene. Does it really matter what you throw out there? I really want to get me a king instead of having to drive up past Mapleton. I may have hooked one the other day in close. threw some violent head shakes and came undone.

I guess keep on trying but for the suislaw, I would like to throw what works. I'll buy a spinner from ya if you know they are proven. When I had my boat, I trolled watermelon and other colored apex's and hoochies. also tried crippled herring and did well. why not tie on a crippled herring or would trying to retrieve it on a casting rod n reel be much slower in action of the lure compared to trolling on the wire?

S
SLEDME
For something different try throwing a spoon at them.Large crocodile or pixee spoons work well.

U
upperroguepirate
I went to bi mart and true value looking for a lg crocodile because I've heard they work well trolling for salmon. I asked a well seasoned salt water fisherman those questions and he said the croc is as good a spoon as any other tactic trolling for salmon. I might have to order one from online somewhere. bi mart had coyotes but they are way to light for casting. I've been fishing every day for 3 weeks and no kings yet. Not sweatin it but sure would be great to nail me a big king. I need to eat this winter. I still have my K16's 15's. I'm sure I would nail a few if I had a boat.

J
Jordy
Think more about what gets you fishing "in the zone". Use a spinner or spoon you can have spinning or fluttering along the bottom without snagging or lifting out of the strike zone. A good spinner or spoon fisherman is going to catch more fish on any color if fished properly.

U
upperroguepirate
i'm always thinking about the zone. I watch people who catch fish and I've caught my silvers too but I watch what they throw. For instance, a group of guys were hooking silvers and I watch when they start their retrieves. Some retrieve right away so I know they are retrieving just under the surface. Not a lot of people let their spinners sink. I do. Depending on the movement on the tide like a strong outgoing it's tough to get it down even if your casting upstream. slack tide or slighty incoming or outgoing is best for that. I guide told me when kings enter the river they are not necessarily on the bottom. I change my retrieve up as well. fast and slow as to make my skirt sink with more action, and maybe 30 ft left in my retrieve i'll change the lures direction be swinging my rod over to one side or another as to look like it's trying to escape a hungry silver or king. What's a good spoon fisherman besides knowing what bodies and colors work? I also use scent. I won't think too much. I'm new to throwing hardware at them and I really love fishing the rocks. Just hope I never break my neck. Between this and next season i'm going to get myself to making my own spinners after some research.

S
SLEDME
You can use a coyote spoon by tying in a banana weight(1 1/2-2 ) ounce about 2 feet above the spoon to get it down.When throwing spoons try casting as far as possible then let a large loop of line form downstream in the shape of a C then lock down your bail or button on a level wind and slowly retrieve.This method will let you get closer to the bottom where the chinook will be.Adding smelly jelly to your lure will also help.

C_Run
C_Run
SLEDME said:
You can use a coyote spoon by tying in a banana weight(1 1/2-2 ) ounce about 2 feet above the spoon to get it down.When throwing spoons try casting as far as possible then let a large loop of line form downstream in the shape of a C then lock down your bail or button on a level wind and slowly retrieve.This method will let you get closer to the bottom where the chinook will be.Adding smelly jelly to your lure will also help.

I stuck with spinners all last year and so far this year. My most recent fish was casting a Bob Toman hootchie spinner from the bank with a half ounce banana weight to get it in the zone. They are light and intended for trolling. Various colors of Blue Fox and Mepps have been working for me and I add weight if necessary.

F
fish4life
I have never fished this area for kinks but trolling on the Columbia these have been my best spinners. #4 blue fox silver blade chartruse body, half flame half white Colorado, flame Colorado, have gold half green or chartruse Colorado. hope this helps out. and good luck

brandon4455
brandon4455
always been a #5 pink bell body spinner with a silver blade. like a blue fox. when fishing tidewater or bay i use a #5 hot pink coho stinger which is essentially the same thing except with a hoochie skirt on it. Salmon love squid when they are in the ocean so it's a good attractor.

Heres the first fall fish of the season i got last month on a pink coho stinger. nice fat chrome chinook!

• first salmon 2014 011.jpg
C
CoastieFlo
Let me shed some light on this for ya....

The Nautical Creation lures are very good!. In fact, I used to work at a shop in Reedsport that was the first to start carrying his lures. I know Jason (the maker/owner) and he makes a very well build, tough, lure. They are pretty heavy to get out there far off the rocks, plus a wide 'colorado' type blade...which allows a slower retrieve yet will still spin. I have one of his lures that he special made for me that has caught 4 fish now, good stuff!

But, I have caught many fish just using my own homemade spinners using regular #4 or #5 french type blades.

I think many times fish want a smaller presentation. I have caught nice chinook with #4 spinners (which are pretty small compared to larger NC lures or 5-6 Blue Foxes.

I agree being in 'the zone' is more important than what you use. Also make sure your lure is working when you retrieve it. Some lures make a thumping, so u can feel if its working correctly. Others just have more resistance. Whatever you use, learn how it works/spins the best and adjust your casting/retrieve accordingly. If you get a spinner in front of a biter, I dont really think it makes that much difference.

U
upperroguepirate
hey thanks coastieFlo, and everyone. I bought one of Jason's spinners at sportsmans, so I know exactly what ur talking about. That spinner in pink caught 2 kings for this native gal. As her and this guy were leaving N Jetty, I asked her how that spinner was doing cause I wanted to take a look at it and so she told me that yesterday she caught 2 nooks. I THEN SAID 2? holy smokes no kidding? and she said no kidding. Yes, I like throwing his heavy spinners. Can really get it out there and I fish with my lamiglas casting rod. The one I have has the eye on it but wanted one like she had but the store was out of them. Then the very next day I diver came up and gave me the very spinner I was looking for. It was his spinner and it was no doubt Jason's lures. Big blade seems to work and it was in great condition. The divers told me that the kings are not on the bottom. just perch. They are up near the top those divers say. But then they also say once the fish see them, they take off. think I might try that banana weight like sledme said. Or just go up to mapleton this week and float some roe below my thill bobber.