1st boat advice

G
Gonzo
I'm in the market for my 1st boat on a limited budget. I came across a 96 lowe Deep V riveted boat(16') . Looks really clean. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on these?

Chromatose
Chromatose
I do own a Tin Boat. I have never owned a Lowe, but know of many that have. A sturdy well built craft from what I have seen and herd.

As with any Riveted Boat be sure to check for leaks @ the rivet........I found this Utube video

As far as seams go, make sure those look clean. No smeared Sealant or dents. If the Craft your looking to purchase doesn't have flooring your work will be only to take it out on the water and have a good look. Good Luck with your endeavor.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Lowe makes a good boat. Any used riveted boat is going to need a little attention, will probably leak a bit - but that's no biggie. The Lowe V boats are very similar to the Sylvan boats - they handle nicely in a chop, though the transoms are usually cut pretty low and you don't want to take on too big a chop, following waves can swamp these. I've been out on a 16' Sylvan in a 3' chop on Winchester bay once, and it was sketchy. We took a wave over the low transom, thank god we had a splash well and a brand new bilge pump!

As a lake or river boat it'll be great, and you can take it out on the bays most days and be just fine.

Check the electrical connections, make sure the steering/throttle cables are properly lubed, clean up the battery terminals. It's a little investment in time, but time spent on dry land attending to the small problems the boat may have will save lots of headache when you're on the water.

What kind of motor is on it? Guessing a 40-70 horse Force or Mercury (they were very popular motors as factory options in the 90's) - does it have the bracket for a bow mounted electric?

G
Gonzo
We took it out on the water. No leaks. 30 horse Yamaha ran great. Boat very clean. It has a bracket for an electric motor and one for a kicker. Walk through aluminum seeting with storage and live well. Lowrance fish finder with GPS. Columbia anchor system. Bimini top. $3500 Decent price?

E
eugene1
Fair price if everything works as advertised and tested!

I think I sold my 15' with 30 Yamaha (older than what you are looking at) for $2800. It featured no top, no anchor, no decent FF, POS painted trailer, boat was way older, and Yami motor was about 4 years older. Still a good value for the buyer though...

I say buy it! Is the trailer galvanized or painted?

Any pics of the boat and trailer?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
That Yamaha is a good motor, though I will say that on that hull a 30hp is a bit on the low side, depending on how/where you plan on fishing. A loaded up boat with gear and a couple hefty guys and you won't be setting any speed records by any means, and may have to move weight forward to plane out properly. If this is a boat you keep, or plan on keeping for a good while you may wish to up the horsepower when funds allow, getting as much HP as you can (but not going over the capacity plate's rating).

I think you found a good first boat dude.

U
upperroguepirate
can't go wrong with a lowe. I happen to get a new 2011 lowe roughneck 18' cc with a 50 merc. best duck and fish boat I every owned. if that Yamaha is a 4 stroke, or even if it is a oil injected 2 stroker, you got a smoking deal. you can get good deals out there. make sure to find a place that sells corrosion X. it's the best rust preventive oil you can buy. call around til you find it or order it online. it's invaluable. spray it on your wiring, your tongue jack parts, axles, rims any place that can rust. just a light spray is all you need. Can use it on your car too if you live near the ocean. they use this stuff in the ocean. Under the ocean I mean. that model stuff comes in a blue and white can for heavy duty industrial stuff. it's amazing. They also have a neat small bottle of it for your fishing reels. I have one in my tackle bag. get that one too. stuff smells pretty good too :) CORROSION X

B
Baydog
You didn't mention what you plan on using the boat for.....Also remember there's no such thing as the perfect boat for all situations!

Cheers!
Lance