Fishing the Deschutes

T
Troutslayerjenn
Thinking of fishing the Deshcutes (for the first time) this Sunday for some steelhead but not sure if this is a good time of year or not. Are they still running up there? I don't need to know exactly where my dad and I will walk the river and hopefully find a good place. Just didn't want to drive all the way there to find out there aren't any going through. Oh and I'm hoping this will be my first steelhead catch ever! Can't wait.

Thanks.

C
ChezJfrey
Do it.

This is a decent time to go and you have fairly good odds of hooking into one.

hobster
hobster
^^^ Like he said. Haven't fished the D much but from what I hear they have a great summer run that runs late, so you should have a great chance. Good luck!

J
Jordy
Fishing is good. Black, purple and brass spinners (in that order) are your best bets. Also nightmare jig under a float or casting plugs works well.

No bait except from sherar's falls to the first railroad trestle.

Go get em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Troutslayerjenn
Thanks everyone looks like I'm gonna go for it. Hopefully my next post will be a picture of a steelhead.

C
ChezJfrey
Troutslayerjenn said:
Hopefully my next post will be a picture of a steelhead.

Better be...you've got our expectations set now. Pressure's on ;)

But seriously, you and your dad will have a good shot at it out there right now.

S
Socaaron
PM sent

B
bigboy70
D
dozer365
U can drift corkies at mouth with the crowds or hike up a mile and find a ton of water to cast at. Black green and purple in that order lol. Or 1/3 oz lil Cleo copper spoons. Or 3.5 mag lips swung. I wouldn't bother with bobber jig tell u learn the river a bit. Aggressive fish in there that will smack hardware. And cover more water that way.
If u park on west side entrance I'd walk up to were the trail passes a rock wall and old outhouse and start fishing.... Rattle snake rappids can be great. Bout 2 miles from parking lot though. U can find it if u google rattlesnake rappids.

I'm not giving u any nuggets cuz I've got none. I've fishe that system 5 times now I think and only been skunked once

T
Troutslayerjenn
dozer365 said:
U can drift corkies at mouth with the crowds or hike up a mile and find a ton of water to cast at. Black green and purple in that order lol. Or 1/3 oz lil Cleo copper spoons. Or 3.5 mag lips swung. I wouldn't bother with bobber jig tell u learn the river a bit. Aggressive fish in there that will smack hardware. And cover more water that way.
If u park on west side entrance I'd walk up to were the trail passes a rock wall and old outhouse and start fishing.... Rattle snake rappids can be great. Bout 2 miles from parking lot though. U can find it if u google rattlesnake rappids.

I'm not giving u any nuggets cuz I've got none. I've fishe that system 5 times now I think and only been skunked once

Thanks a lot dozer365 and everyone else with all your great advice. This site is really awesome and I am very impressed with how friendly everyone is. Shows you how great a group of sportsman can really be!

Also, can't wait to head up there tomorrow morning. Will probably hike up a bit away from the crowds, since I'm not that experienced I don't like to be in the middle of a bunch of people and have them get peepeed at me. Plus, part of the reason I like fishing is I like nature and what's the point if it feel like your in a walmart parking lot ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Socaaron
IF you ever end up fishing near someone(close enough your lines may cross) just remember to follow casting order protocol, that is the guy(or gal) furthest downstream casts first.
Good luck tight lines!

T
Troutslayerjenn
Well, it ended up being a bust for me but my dad caught two. One was a native so he let it go right away but the other was a keeper and she was a fighter. He almost lost it right off the bat because I was telling him to watch out for this giant tree branch that was floating down the river, and when he looked back that was when she struck. His pole almost flew out of his hands, but he mange to bring her in nice and slow. Maybe next time I will get one. Thanks again for everyones advice, even though I didn't catch anything I had fun and got a ton of exercise too.

IMG_9786.jpg IMG_9788.jpg

D
dozer365
Omg what a hog. Great job u guys. How far up y'all hike? And on a tadpolly to boot!!! Can't wait to see you post your first chrome... It'll happen :)

C
ChezJfrey
Ha! Told ya! Well done, dad! That fish is a beauty.

And ya, I think a lot of them will be unclipped. I think I heard that the ratio winds up to be about 4 wilds to 1 hatchery on the big D.

Looks like the bites were on a plug? Dozer likes to try those on the D and he had a recent hookup this year on one...I'm sure this new post will pique his interest. You out there Dozer?

ETA...LOL, Dozer already chimes in while I'm typing.

T
Troutslayerjenn
dozer365 said:
Omg what a hog. Great job u guys. How far up y'all hike? And on a tadpolly to boot!!! Can't wait to see you post your first chrome... It'll happen :)

We hiked up past rattle snake rapids and that's where he caught both. Then we stopped at a bunch of little spots on the way down. Yeah my dad loves the tadpolly's, I tried with spinners but after he caught two I switch to what he had ;)

B
bigboy70
Nice put in your time and you start catching them left and right I would say my numbers vs the misses numbers but now lets just say its slot! Awesome your dad got a couple

troutdude
troutdude
That's one heck of a fish. Congrats!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Beauty!

S
sapo
Yeah, gorgeous fish!

E
eugene1
Great you guys got into them on your first trip there!

Congrats,