Sloppy seconds

B
bigboy70
So being stuck local again we went out and wanted some coho. We got to EC early and there wasn't parking for over a half of mile of road, so we promptly decided it was gonna be a steelhead day.
Head to our favorite area and low and behold Chez is already around. We head down and try the normal spot nada then move down to a productive spot and start hammering the water. In the mean time chez rustle through the spot we just left he start working the area and shortly after switching to his trusty spoon he hooks up for about 5 seconds.
He came down to tell us about it before he left and said well I left on in there for you, without skipping a beat my response was it's all good Josie will go catch him in a few.
We move back to where Chez just left with my data showing it was that time. A couple of fly fishermen we're slowly working the water so we waited patiently, as we were I spotted something went to check it out and a steelie was hunker down a few feet from the bank. I toss my offering his way and I snag up as the fish was chasing it once it went unnatural the fish wanted nothing to do. Get the snag free lose my weight I decided to fly fish it my bait being heavy enough long story short I didn't get him to commit. Then he vanished but a smaller one took his place then a big buck was behind that one get the swing right and they took off to the depths. Josie works the seam and didn't take long for her to land this beautiful chrome
so thanks chez for leaving it behind!!!

• oct 4 2014.jpg
Last edited:
E
eugene1
Nice, seems like you intended to post a pic?

Anyway, you should get some advice from Josie!

Best,

B
bigboy70
I did phone wasn't working

E
eugene1
nice!

C
ChezJfrey
So the thing is, I spied a large silver streak moving up a seam near the far side, then a steelhead leaps full out of the water, glistening chrome and fairly good sized...maybe 30 inches albeit I am judging from a distance. It hunkers down near some rocks and I'm about to cast when I lose sight...hmmmm? I cast near the underwater rock where I last saw it a couple times and nothing.

Then I launch a cast several feet beyond, on the far side of the rock and my spoon jams up...pull! Slight hesitation with some give, then I see a fish writhing on the end of my line, backing down and thrashing...fish on! No sooner were the words out of my mouth, then my spoon comes back, slack. Ugh!

On my way home, I get a text of the photo and after talking about where that fish was caught, I would swear by the looks, size and location, it nearly has to be the same fish I lost...hilarious.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Josie! You are amazing! Keep catching, keep smiling! I love it! :thumb:

B
bigboy70
Also judging by the hook mark I found lol thanks buddy !!!!

C
ChezJfrey
bigboy70 said:
Also judging by the hook mark I found lol thanks buddy !!!!

Yeah, your note of hook evidence per our phone conversation further confirms the likelihood of same fish...figures. At least it went to a "family" member :)

T
troutmasta
you steelhead fisherman are nuts! Good on you for staying at it though!

C
ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
you steelhead fisherman are nuts! Good on you for staying at it though!

I prefer to think of it as discipline and strength of will during the tougher months of October and November to see the steelhead quest through and not succumb to the easier allure of coho and fall chinook :)

But nuts probably fits too.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Combat Chuck got an upper willy summer this weekend. Fall can be really productive for summers, on the rogue thats when fishing got good.

Nice fish Josie.

B
bigboy70
ChezJfrey said:
I prefer to think of it as discipline and strength of will during the tougher months of October and November to see the steelhead quest through and not succumb to the easier allure of coho and fall chinook :)

But nuts probably fits too.
Haha yup nuts fits! Troutmasta just haven't found a willing coho and my tendency for staying away from people as added to the hardship lol