The guessing game! I.D these trout

brandon4455
brandon4455
After a little debate question the kind of coastal cutthroat was posted in a recent thread, i thought we could all have a little fun with it and play I.D that fish!

Coastal cutthroat trout are very hard to tell apart sometimes,because of their varying size,color, and range, lets see how many you can get right. Heres how it works: i'll post 10 pictures of coastal cutthroat trout. BUT you have to guess it's strain/type. Theres sea run coastal,resident coastal,Fluvial,and lake run pictured.

All you have to do is write the # of the picture and put an answer you think fits next to it.

Good luck!

2f03tbd.jpg

6o249i.jpg

oa6d0x.jpg

23wp54w.jpg

1tugjb.jpg

29xtfkh.jpg

ajla9g.jpg

egr4gx.jpg

122l0mf.jpg

vaq1g.jpg

T
troutmasta
Are we assuming that you have indeed correctly identified them?

brandon4455
brandon4455
I caught these fish so yes i know the identity of each one LOL.

i only provided examples of fish that are 100% identified. there are plenty of borderline fish from coastal rivers that you just never know, and trust me i have caught thousands of those....
i wouldn't post fish i am unsure of.

S
sunsalem
brandon4455 said:
After a little debate question the kind of coastal cutthroat was posted in a recent thread, i thought we could all have a little fun with it and play I.D that fish!

Coastal cutthroat trout are very hard to tell apart sometimes,because of their varying size,color, and range, lets see how many you can get right. Heres how it works: i'll post 10 pictures of coastal cutthroat trout. BUT you have to guess it's strain/type. Theres sea run coastal,resident coastal,Fluvial,and lake run pictured.

All you have to do is write the # of the picture and put an answer you think fits next to it.

Good luck!
Uh, yeah......OK.

C_Run
C_Run
This test is too hard for me.

Admin
Admin
Well, I guess if it has red "cuts" on it's throat, it doesn't make it a cutthroat yet, huh? )

bass
bass
ModestMan can correct me if I am wrong but I have read I that any cutthroat in a coastal stream may have been out to the ocean at some point. They do not follow a normal migration like salmon or steelhead but rather come and go willy-nilly. Sometimes they go out when they are young. Sometimes they stay in a stream for years before deciding to spend some time in the salt.

Thus, when people use the term sea run or blueback they are referring to a cutthroat that has recently returned from the ocean and is still silvery. After a while that fish will go back to looking like a resident fish that never left home.

M
Modest_Man
Fluvial just means of or found in a river. So they're all potentially fluvial for at least a portion of their life (as long as the lake has an inlet and/or outlet).

I have no experience with cutthroat life history strategies, but I think all of those can overlap to a certain extent as long as there isn't an impassible barrier blocking migration.

brandon4455
brandon4455
jeez i guess not...thought everyone would enjoy a little game.. :/

Jamie, to clarify by fluvial, i mean the cutthroat that live in the willamette and enter tributaries for food/spawning, so migratory inland cutties, but they are still the species "coastal cutthroat" same goes for the lake run fish..Maybe it isn't a good word for those fish then,but thats just what they were called by anyone i have spoken to like district fish bios and biology aides & people that have done volunteer work (myself included)

i do know, that resident coastal cutthroat are actually not all that common, because most smaller cutthroat you catch in those streams are just sea runs that haven't gone out to the salt yet..its impossible to tell.

the fish pictured were either fresh sea run,residents caught above impassable barriers,fish from willamette & tribs, and fish from an inland reservoir.
i have caught thousands of cutthroat that im sure i would never know the difference, but for the purpose of this guessing game i did only post fish i knew 100%

a cutthroat is a cutthroat..i get it... just thought it would be fun to see if anyone could guess them correctly, i was also trying to use this game to also show how hard it can be to tell the difference in a fun way.

T
troutmasta
brandon4455 said:
jeez i guess not...thought everyone would enjoy a little game.. :/

Agreed, this is more like a biology quiz though. The terms are just a little advanced for the average Oregon angler I think.
Great pictures though! Thanks!:thumb:

C_Run
C_Run
troutmasta said:
Agreed, this is more like a biology quiz though. The terms are just a little advanced for the average Oregon angler I think.
Great pictures though! Thanks!:thumb:

To me they all look similar but, then, I haven't made a lot of careful observations and don't trout fish too much lately. If they are chrome and 12" plus near the ocean, I know I've got a searun. Other than that, I never know. Thanks for putting up all the pictures, Brandon.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I would suggest they might all be identified as "tasty" but condition that on applying only to the images taken at a location where retention was legal...:thumb: