Carp fishing tips?

I
igquick
I fish for carp using a rig with two hooks and two baits. Would I increase my chances of catching a carp if I were to use a rig with 3 hooks and 3 baits? And would throwing a piece or two of ground bait in the area were I'm fishing at yield better results?

From last month, I usually catch on average an 18 lb carp every 4 hours of fishing, I was wondering if there is anything else I could do to shorten that time.

C
chrisohm
Most people here on the forum use just a single hook setup as far as I have seen. It is illegal to chum anywhere from what the regs tell us so no ground up bait near your spot. If you want to increase your chances of catching carp, find areas that can handle more carp. Good flats or sloughs are your best bet..

I
igquick
Thanks

Thanks

thanks for you reply chris. Is it also illegal to fish at night? Is bread illegal bait?

C
chrisohm
I never paid attention to any of the night fishing rules! I just never stay out that late. You need to check the regs on that. Also, read through them carefully as they change from one body of water to another and keep it on you or else the man will bring down the hammer! Bread is not illegal to use as a bait. In fact you can make multiple types of doughballs out of really cheap white bread. Carp love it, you may get a catfish and I have read somewhere about tuna balls for salmon fishing. You can always feed the ducks with it too! I have noticed that when people are feeding the ducks at Clackamette park, there tends to be a few other fish around picking up the pieces. People have posted reports of large carp around High Rocks/Cross Park...

I
igquick
I always catch carp by the ducks

B
Bnnopo
"But Mr.Game Warden, I was not chumming, I was feeding the ducks!"

Not sure how well that excuse will work, but anybody who wants to take one for the team and try it, let us know the results when you get out... :)

C
chrisohm
To heck with feeding the ducks. I would rather shoot em and feed the poor. They always get in the way and I have nailed a few with my spinner before. Now I just fish where there are no ducks and lots of fish.

I
igquick
We were feeding the ducks yesterday at a different spot on the pond, because some stupid couple took my usual spot and were fishing for BLUEGILL. YES, SMALL BLUEGILL!!!! Sorry Im venting because it was really irritating me; plus when I was fishing next to the ducks at this new spot, a couple 20 plus lb carp passed by and caught me off guard, but when I tried loosefeeding around them (or feeding the ducks), the stupid ducks ate them and it was a complete fail. At least I know that the spot has a carp margin right next to the bank I guess, thinking on the bright side.

O yea, and a duck took my hookbait...

C
cannonsville69
Nightwalker on a single hook ... throw toward shore when the wind kicks up and you can see a mud line coming out ... fish the edge of the mudline . Dried corn chex ball also work , make dough with the corn chex and mold over a hook . let dry

B
Boo
Okay -- I have to say something but do not take it personally. It's just my opinion.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would catch a carp on purpose. I can't stand the sight of them. If I accidentally catch one, I cut the line! If I knew a way to poison carp without harming any other fish, there would be no carp anywhere near any of the places I fish. I will happily shoot them, but I will never intentionally catch one!

D
Drew9870
That is why we have that old saying "To each his own".

They are actually one of the biggest sport fish around the world.

I
igquick
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

I go for them at my local pond because they are the biggest fish in my pond and I believe that there is a "big" one out there.

I
igquick
Hi cannonsville what is the biggest carp you ever caught?

I think I will try out those new baits.

Reactions: bigsteel
D
Drew9870
Usually no need to question peoples opinions sometimes, usually the 'asker' already knows the answer, probably the same reason why the 'asker' has there own favorite ''sport''. Other people do find beauty and sport from what others do not.

I typically fish for Carp for the same reason, no sense going after some panfish when I could hook one 1-40lb Submarine, but others could enjoy the opposite, it's all about who you are.

B
Boo
There's no logical reason for my aversion to carp. For some reason they creep me out, but I have no idea what's behind that.

C
cannonsville69
We have gotten them up over 36" in cannonsville reservoir, NY . Got them on worms , got them on crayfish crankbaits. It's common to get them while trolling down 30 ft with sutton spoons . You think you hookind into the mother load of all browns... then it just keeps dogging and hanging low. Eventually you see the huge scales as it nears the surface. Heck they're fun though . Who cares. We tried to eat a small one like 24" and it's so bony , even worse than a pickerel. Flavor was neither good or bad. It was fish, thats it.

C
cannonsville69
Boo said:
Okay -- I have to say something but do not take it personally. It's just my opinion.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would catch a carp on purpose. I can't stand the sight of them. If I accidentally catch one, I cut the line! If I knew a way to poison carp without harming any other fish, there would be no carp anywhere near any of the places I fish. I will happily shoot them, but I will never intentionally catch one!
Here is why ... You having a good day fishing , then you see a bunch of huge ones in some flat , you take a few casts at them, it's a heck of a fight. It's just kind of a distraction, breaks up the day. Kinda like when ya belch or fart in the boat, have a quick laugh... yeah it serves no purpose other than a laugh and a distraction. Pickerel on the other hand, they are a pain in the a$$ . They destroy your line and eat small bass and trout like a garbage disposal.

B
Boo
cannonsville69 said:
Here is why ... You having a good day fishing , then you see a bunch of huge ones in some flat , you take a few casts at them, it's a heck of a fight. It's just kind of a distraction, breaks up the day. Kinda like when ya belch or fart in the boat, have a quick laugh... yeah it serves no purpose other than a laugh and a distraction. Pickerel on the other hand, they are a pain in the a$$ . They destroy your line and eat small bass and trout like a garbage disposal.

Okay -- this is a little off topic, but the biggest "pain in the a$$" at my favorite smallie spot are the sunfish. They hit anything, and that includes baits that are bigger than they are! Sometimes if you're swimming a good size grub, these little 4" sunfish get ahold of the tail, and hang on for dear life!! Drives me nuts.

C
cannonsville69
Boo said:
Okay -- this is a little off topic, but the biggest "pain in the a$$" at my favorite smallie spot are the sunfish. They hit anything, and that includes baits that are bigger than they are! Sometimes if you're swimming a good size grub, these little 4" sunfish get ahold of the tail, and hang on for dear life!! Drives me nuts.
Yeah, they are also a pita ... but pickerel will hit a 12" rocky or crappie that you are trying to land. You cut the pickerel open and they have 8-10" trout, smallies, rocky's in their gut . Pickerel average 3-4 lbs where I fish and it's not uncommon to get a 5 or 6lb ... they are like pike . Carp are fun though . It's just fun fighting a 15-30lb fish ... especially if you dont know what it is ... like when you're trolling, (yes, they hit spoons) that rod goes "Wham" and the fight's on ... they "dog" down low , kinda like a catfish . They fight hard and take 15-45 mins to get tired ...

C
cannonsville69
Ugly thing !

Ugly thing !

Darn ugly thing ... I have to say though , they put up a good fight and don't tire easily .... eh it breaks up the day , something different