Question about Hagg Lake bass regulations

B
Boo
I'v never fished Hagg much. It's a quite a bit outside my normal travel patterns, but it's really not the far out of my way. It takes me about an hour to get there.

I'm planning to learn more about Hagg, and probably fish there more. I love the fact that it produced more than one state record smallie. Now here's my question. The regs say 1 bass per day. Does that apply to small mouth and large mouth, or just large mouth?

T
the_intimidator03
if the regulations state 1 bass per day it means 1 bass regardless of species

Gunga
Gunga
the_intimidator03 is correct. I fish that lake at least 30 times a year. i actually asked a park ranger and he said the same thing as the_intimidator03

troutdude
troutdude
One bass per day, is your daily bag limit. But, if you don't keep any--you can catch and release all day. However, once you keep one...your done. If you continue to fish after that; you would do so illegally.

B
Boo
Thanks for the info guys. The bag limit probably has a lot to do with the state records. Those bass actually get a chance to grow up!

H
Hendo30
You are correct, Boo. I practice C&R myself for all bass fishing. I have been out several times at Hagg and everyone I have crossed paths with out on the lake or for the most part here, Practice C&R. So needless to say they are in there. Also, If I havent said welcome....well Welcome. This is my first year on this forum and I am here to say this is by far the nicest, most educated and helpful group of fishermen and Fisherwomen. Dont be shy and once again Welcome.

B
Boo
Hendo30 said:
You are correct, Boo. I practice C&R myself for all bass fishing. I have been out several times at Hagg and everyone I have crossed paths with out on the lake or for the most part here, Practice C&R. So needless to say they are in there. Also, If I havent said welcome....well Welcome. This is my first year on this forum and I am here to say this is by far the nicest, most educated and helpful group of fishermen and Fisherwomen. Dont be shy and once again Welcome.

I keep plenty of fish because we enjoy eating them. If you haven't eaten small mouth filets fried up with bacon, onions, and garlic -- well sir -- you're missing one of Mother Nature's finest delicacies!

However, I do not keep babies! I see things that really irritate me sometimes. Like the other day I saw a guy with about 20 blue gill in a bucket and not one of them was over about 6 inches. Blue Gill in the 12 inch range make good eatin' but I rarely see them because of all the nit wits who refuse to let them grow up!

I release anything that is not a mature adult fish. The only exception is a severely wounded fish.

N
Noahk
Hey Boo, is that a tri-colored springer in your profile? Good looking dog. We've got a year+ black and white and my family has always had springers. Great dogs.

So do you eat the bass too? I think I've only tried them once and didn't care for the flavor. Of course it also probably had a lot to do with my cooking!

T
TimberTodd
I grew up in Coos Bay and my folks had property on Tenmile creek that we camped on all summer. I ate a lot of bass that we caught out of the lake and creek growing up.
Todd

N
Noahk
Cool. How do you generally cook them?

T
the_intimidator03
Boo, actually in a lot of places a 6 inch bluegill is a big gill.. sad to say there isn't a real effecient self mediating ecology that ive found yet while fishing that provides BIG gills and big bass.

T
TimberTodd
Growing up my mom would lay the fillets in either corn meal or flour then fry them.
Todd

B
Boo
Noahk said:
Hey Boo, is that a tri-colored springer in your profile? Good looking dog. We've got a year+ black and white and my family has always had springers. Great dogs.

So do you eat the bass too? I think I've only tried them once and didn't care for the flavor. Of course it also probably had a lot to do with my cooking!

As a food fish smallmouth bass rank right up there with perch and walleye. The meat is extremely delicate, so you have to be careful not to over power it with your seasonings.

They are also relatively difficult to filet. There are several good videos on You Tube that show good methods. I would not try to filet anything under about 14". Once in a while I catch some exceptional 12 inchers that have plenty of girth, but that's the exception. Point is, you need a nice thick fish to start out with.

I take the skinless, boneless filets and dip them in an egg wash. After that add salt and pepper, and then dredge them in flour. While I'm doing my seasoning I have a pan on medium heat cooking minced bacon, diced red onion, and minced garlic. When the bacon bits start to get crispy remove them and the onions and garlic. Place your prepared filets in the pan and cook until each side is golden brown. Remove from pan and top with your bacon, onions, and garlic.

I usually serve this with a cucumber salad and french vanilla ice cream for desert.

troutdude
troutdude
Hey everyone, let's all grab our forks and spoons and head on over to Boo's house! I'm salivating by just reading that post!!!

C
cookshot
Good luck at Hagg. It takes a long time to figure out (to be specific, I've been fishing it off and on for about 5 years and have NOT figured it out). There are big fish in there somewhere though...