FBR rigging- rogerdodger style

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I got this dialed in last year because I wanted to use mooching rigs of my choosing (line strength and hook sizes/colors) with the FBR rotating head for herring. It also saves cost by utilizing the FRB heads that he sells in 2-packs through the internet at 'sheltonproducts.com', Bill is great, ships quickly and his shipping cost is just $4 for up to 6 packs of the heads. The BearPaw line stops I use are available at BiMart.

we have found that these rigs, with the herring doing a real tight spin, work best when the salmon are more aggressive (cooler water). Earlier this year, with water temps well over 60F here, chinook were totally ignoring them and I almost ended up with a mohawk until I switched back to standard cut-plug herring (especially helpful were those green ones left by a friend ;) ), but after the water cooled down a bit, I did catch a big chinook (Dragon) on one of these rigs and now the coho cannot leave them alone, especially trolled 40" behind a chartreuse flasher.

so here is my video to try and describe how I rig them, hope it helps some folks get more fish. cheers, roger

[video=youtube_share;-TkYnscF8aw]http://youtu.be/-TkYnscF8aw[/video]

E
eugene1
I like those heads for trolling in the ocean, but when bouncing bait on the bottom of a bay or river they didn't produce very well for me.

I think you need to troll them a little bit faster than a cut plug as well.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
I like those heads for trolling in the ocean, but when bouncing bait on the bottom of a bay or river they didn't produce very well for me.

I think you need to troll them a little bit faster than a cut plug as well.

we troll them just above the river bottom, like you would a spinner I guess (find the bottom, wait for line to blow-back and reach steady state, find bottom again, up a foot or 2, rod into holder), and we troll slightly slower than most (basically always about 1.5mph "chinook" trolling speed). if we are using a rotating flasher, we use 8oz on 1 foot drop, if no flasher, 6oz. on 1 foot drop. :thumb:

Reactions: Big3d
Q
qwapaw
Thanks Roger, I little knowledge goes a long way. I am glad you share. Dan. ( qwapaw)

B
billfisher
Thanks Roger! Nice video! Some good Info. there!

troutdude
troutdude
Most excellent video. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Nice hat. I met the owners last spring, at the show in Newport. They skated, with lots of my cash though! Ha ha.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutdude said:
P.S. Nice hat. I met the owners last spring, at the show in Newport. They skated, with lots of my cash though! Ha ha.

agreed, Dean and Pat are great, I think they are still donating like 90% of their profits to the Humane Society and other animal rescue groups plus big supporters of our STEP group and they really use quality parts in their lures...I wish BiMart would start carrying their spinners again. I think the Sportsman near the 101 bridge in Florence still carries them...cheers, roger

Casting Call
Casting Call
Roger! great video,very well done. Very close to what I use in bays and rivers. I know a lot of newbies appreciate the vid. Thanks for all you do. Tony

J
JeannaJigs
Cool to see, those things definitely out performed plug cut last week.

They sell a massive selection of dean and pats lures at the mapleton market, noticed the wall when I stopped in to get sand shrimp friday

Admin
Admin
Great stuff, Roger! :thumb:

(waiting for the next video tutorial :popcorn:)