Open seat?

S
stanster
I am relatively new to Oregon - 3.5 years. I'm a life long fisherman though. I have yet to catch a salmon - mostly due to lack of a boat. I have my own gear but may need a little advice on terminal tackle and rigging. I pay my way by contributing for gas & refreshments. I'd love to go out on the Siuslaw or any other waters within a 100 miles, with someone with some experience and know how.

If anyone responds, I will shoot you my phone number.

E
eugene1
Do you ever bank fish, stanster? You really don't need a boat to get into salmon.

There is some good banking water upstream of the CG station, for example. More good spots upriver as well.

Good luck,

S
stanster
I know right where you're talking about and going to give ita try this coming week. Still haven't given up the idea about hooking up with someone who would like a gas money contribution though. Thanks for the info. any suggestions on gear and/or rigging for bank fishing for salmon?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
stanster said:
I know right where you're talking about and going to give ita try this coming week. Still haven't given up the idea about hooking up with someone who would like a gas money contribution though. Thanks for the info. any suggestions on gear and/or rigging for bank fishing for salmon?

I would be tossing medium or large NCL&F spinners (4, 5, or 6 Blue Fox), pink bell hoochie or an orange version, perhaps rotating to something blue or chartreuse with silver blade, or Blue Fox Rainbow Trout pattern, using 15# leader, 4' long, and 30# braid mainline on a MH rod in the 7' to 8' range...I would try to be there ideally through the low or high tides and be letting the spinner sink to near the bottom at first, followed by a varied return with some 'stop-1,2,3 -and-start' sort of stuff...and hope for a slam! cheers, roger

C
coyo7e
rogerdodger said:
I would be tossing medium or large NCL&F spinners (4, 5, or 6 Blue Fox), pink bell hoochie or an orange version, perhaps rotating to something blue or chartreuse with silver blade, or Blue Fox Rainbow Trout pattern, using 15# leader, 4' long, and 30# braid mainline on a MH rod in the 7' to 8' range...I would try to be there ideally through the low or high tides and be letting the spinner sink to near the bottom at first, followed by a varied return with some 'stop-1,2,3 -and-start' sort of stuff...and hope for a slam! cheers, roger
Sorry for the dumb question but what's NCL&F refer to? I live in Eugene and have been wanting to drop out there and give it a try. Thanks!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
coyo7e said:
Sorry for the dumb question but what's NCL&F refer to? I live in Eugene and have been wanting to drop out there and give it a try. Thanks!
My bad, that is NorthCountryLures&Flies, local lure maker in Florence, sells at most the shows, online, and at some stores. Super good stuff.

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
2 people from my work showed me pics of the fish they caught from the bank at the fill area yesterday. A 27" and a 29"

(the fill area is on Rhododendron near the humane society)

S
stanster
Thanks! I will give it a go.

D
Daddyob2
when you say through high and low tide is that during (at the peak) of or?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Daddyob2 said:
when you say through high and low tide is that during (at the peak) of or?

it would be when the tide slows and goes slack, say 1 hour before, through the high or low slack, to about an hour after...cheers, roger

D
Daddyob2
lol good im not the only one that looks at this stuff haha

Admin
Admin
So, when it goes down, after a big bump, it's a good forecast, right?

481087605500032d9ffdc5baa51033b4.jpg

Last edited:
M
mosd
Ill be going out this sunday and would offer a seat but not on slaw though.

S
stanster
I missed the post, due to now checking the forum. Thanks for the offer and perhaps we can get together after the first.

T
troutmasta
Anatoliy said:
So, when it goes down, after a big bump, it's a good forecast, right?
Just saw this A. Yes, fish the drop.