7 for 18?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Fun day with my buddy's. Wasn't planning on doing much of anything today until late in the evening last night I got a call from Joel, few phone calls back and forth, And a plan was set, fishing trip for 3.

Morning started off slow, fishing spinners off the shore low in the bay. But it didn't take long for our stomachs groaning for food, and the fact that our spinners, and 20 other spinners hadn't touched a fish in the first 2 hours of the incoming tide. Off to find some food at a local diner, and then to find more productive fishing.

Hit the lower river out of salt, settled on a hole for the 3 of us, and casting commenced. Fished for about an hour, and another truck pulled up and didn't hesitate to start bumping elbows:rolleyes:, and it didn't take long before I started to wander down stream in search of less pressured water, and left the crew to fend for them selves.

Couple casts later at my new found hole, couple head shakes, chrome flash in the water, and my hook comes free. I watch the fish roll back deeper in the hole, and already feel accomplished for the day. Take 2 steps down stream, and continue working my hole. 5 casts later, fish on.

Small chinook, I immediately judge it at a large jack, and was more or less right, taped out to 25'', so it goes down as an adult. Knowing now what played out through the rest of the day, I surely would have let it live.

Look up to inspect the surrounding fisherman, and no ones budged, my buddys haven't noticed I banked a fish.

Clean up, and back to casting. Within 5 minutes, fish on! Chrome flash, few head shakes, and its off. Gather my self, cast again, 5 minutes, fish on! chrome streak, fish jumps, mid air and the hook comes out; SILVERS! Gather my self again, cast 3 times, fish on!-and it immediately shoots up the slot, pulling line! wow! Chase it up stream through the craggy bed rock, trying not to break my ankle, half way fall over on the way up, and this time Joels attention is caught, and he starts making the 150 yard trip down stream with the net.

By the time he makes it, the deed is done; tagged out for the day.
One silver, one chinook. Silver fish trumps chinook today. Nice fish all around. When I got home and cleaned the chinook, I found sea-lice all over its tail end! I couldn't believe it for how 'dark' it was. You can see sea-lice in the photo if you look close.
IMG_1265.jpg

So Joel sets up camp right where I was casting, and I go back up river to retrieve Jamie and I move the truck below where the hole is, and come from the down river side, its easier to gain access to the hole.

Make the trek back to the hole, Joels has banked a mini Silver, no hi-grading here. Fish is dead.

IMG_1272.jpg

Joel and Jamie get settled, and keep casting, we have 1 more silver to get a hold of, and 2 chinook, and I get to run around and take photos. ( with my crappy camera) Go through a long streak of hooking fish, rolling them, enduring fast runs, fish coming out of the water, but no solid hooks, and keep coming off.

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

Then finally, good feeling at the end of the rod, hooks set, fish oN! Jamies turn with a Silver, and this one is a big boy! Powers up through the slot taking line, Joel and Jamie give chase up through the slot (got some mild video I might post, memory card filled before we got the fish netted) Jamie ends up ass down in the water, feet above his head, fish taking line, and we're enjoying all of this. He gathers him self, and up the rocks we scamper... chase it down, pull it in, another fish tagged! 33" silver! Nice one.

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

Joel and Jamie are ambitious to tag some chinook, so back to work. Long series of silvers on and off. end up banking another 3 silvers, and loosing a small mob in the process. Then a long dry spell.
IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

Time nears, and Joel and Jamie are about to call it quits. Im milling around on the rocks, being tagged out for the past 3 hours (maybe more?) and I look up, Joels mouth is open, Jamie is still, and line is coming off Joels pole faster than I have ever seen it! First thought: NOOK! Fish is staying down, and doing nothing but taking line. Joel makes it to the top of the rocks, and makes a stand, fish turns straight back at us, Chasing line to catch up, get tension, and the fish is wrapped on a rock 20 yards ahead of us, and it didn't take long, and it was free. Never did see that fish.

Back to work, 10-15 minutes go by, Joel lifts his tip, and a chrome nooker hen leaps from the water, and comes unhooked! A few grits and laughs, back to work again!

20 more minutes go by, and of course, Joels hooked up once again, same fire drill, chrome rocket chinook, goes ape banshee up the slot, 6'' under the water, and before Joel even moves a foot, its broken his line. Game over.

IMG_1289.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Moosebonsai and Raincatcher
A
alseaalumaweld
longest report ever!

C
CoastieFlo
nice way to get silvers on the last day

N
nwkiller
booya son!!! killin it, way to go guys!

T
TTFishon
Nice!!! Looks like an awesome day on the water!

S
Santiam338
If you keep after them,good things happen...Nice report..:clap::dance:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great report! :clap: I was holding my breath a couple of times. :shock: :lol: Thanks for sharing.

C_Run
C_Run
Sounds like an epic day. I think I know that rock.

S
Spydeyrch
Nicely played there! Great looking fish.

-Spydey

M
Mad dog
Excellent day!!! :clap: Excellent post!!! :clap:

Trying to focus on hunting, but damn!!! You done made me want to go fishing again!!! :D

R
RunWithSasquatch
Mad dog said:
Excellent day!!! :clap: Excellent post!!! :clap:

Trying to focus on hunting, but damn!!! You done made me want to go fishing again!!! :D

I have a deer tag I havent even hardly looked at yet... need to get it taken care of.

M
Mad dog
RunWithSasquatch said:
I have a deer tag I havent even hardly looked at yet... need to get it taken care of.

Me too!!! Trying to wait until it gets closer to the rut! This morning I was looking at a couple of hundred geese in one of our fields....I'm ready to shoot some honkers! Damn things made me miss a good salmon bite saturday morning....bird watching instead of paying attention to my fishing!

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice report. Sounds like a blast!

E
eat, sleep, fish
Sounds like an awesome day. I need to get over to the coast.

N
nwkiller
good post, made me read again! tight little river...big fish....does it get much better

A
alseaalumaweld
seem 2 bucks this morning. no reason to wait till the rut when you got storm fronts like these rolling trew

R
RunWithSasquatch
Gonna go hunt tomorrow evening... only reason I am waiting is because my truck is in the shop.

R
RunWithSasquatch
nwkiller said:
good post, made me read again! tight little river...big fish....does it get much better

Low water fall salmon fishing is some of the funnest stuff. Those fish do amazing things when they dont have much river to use.

Wont be long until the water is up, and stays up, and all of those small slots and drifts are covered. But thats the turn in the tide when you get to have a different kind of fun in the driftboats. can't wait!

Reactions: JeannaJigs
A
alseaalumaweld
sure rained this morning!

M
Moosebonsai
Most awesome! Sound like a wonderful time. Take me with you next time.