Looking for Clackamas River coho

H
hookset1990
Hi all, I'm new to salmon fishing and relatively new to Oregon. From what I understand, Coho should be in the clackamas river (right?), and especially after the past few days with a little bit of rain, I'm assuming 1) there are more Coho moving into the clack from the Willamette and 2) Coho that may have already been in the clack will have moved farther up in the past few days. Am I right on these assumptions? Ive gone down to high rocks a few times in the past week and on my first day I caught what I believe was a coho but as I reeled it in and it was in reaching distance, the line snapped (probably cause I was over excited and lifted the rod too high when I went down to unhook it). So unfortunately I have have that "so close" feeling in the pit of my stomach and I'm searching for redemption. By the way, the day I caught that fish was the first and the last day I decided to go without my net. Anyways, has anyone else been searching for Coho on the Clackamas river? Been to high rocks or that area? Is the weather and water conditions even right for salmon fishing yet, or should I wait for cooler air and water temps? Right now I am just eager to land a big fish, coho or steelhead, and at least get a quick pic for the books so does anyone have any advice for the clackamas river and for a beginner salmon fisher like myself. Thanks.

T
troutmasta
hookset1990 said:
Hi all, I'm new to salmon fishing and relatively new to Oregon. From what I understand, Coho should be in the clackamas river (right?), and especially after the past few days with a little bit of rain, I'm assuming 1) there are more Coho moving into the clack from the Willamette and 2) Coho that may have already been in the clack will have moved farther up in the past few days. Am I right on these assumptions? Ive gone down to high rocks a few times in the past week and on my first day I caught what I believe was a coho but as I reeled it in and it was in reaching distance, the line snapped (probably cause I was over excited and lifted the rod too high when I went down to unhook it). So unfortunately I have have that "so close" feeling in the pit of my stomach and I'm searching for redemption. By the way, the day I caught that fish was the first and the last day I decided to go without my net. Anyways, has anyone else been searching for Coho on the Clackamas river? Been to high rocks or that area? Is the weather and water conditions even right for salmon fishing yet, or should I wait for cooler air and water temps? Right now I am just eager to land a big fish, coho or steelhead, and at least get a quick pic for the books so does anyone have any advice for the clackamas river and for a beginner salmon fisher like myself. Thanks.

Its go time right now. Just get out there and use pink.

B
bigcat
You Might want to give Bonnie lure park a try. That's where most of the hatchery coho r headed, Eagle Creek. Walk down where the mouth dumps into the clack.
Good luck

H
hookset1990
Thanks for the tips guys. I just got back with some scents, pink lures, pink yarn, and a few other colored lures. Looking forward to trying them out tomorrow and hopefully will be posting a pic. I think I'm gonna hit high rocks early tomorrow morning and Bonnie lure later in the week when I have time.

W
Work2Fish
I've been fishing the Clackamas river the past couple weeks, and it definitely picked up last week. The rain expected today and tomorrow will help the cause even more. Bouncing corkies, from what I've seen, has been the most successful.

G
gillplateforwad
Fish moving in ... 100 of your favorite snaggers at the gauntlet aka the bowling alley /walgreens hole

D
DrTheopolis
My buddy hooked into a rather large slinky and treble that was attached to a coho the other day. Said the leader was rather long.

T
troutmasta
Sad but believable. I called out two snaggers couple days ago. Bonk em.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
troutmasta said:
Sad but believable. I called out two snaggers couple days ago. Bonk em.
Bonk...the fish or the snaggers? :flex:

T
troutmasta
Snaggers with my nuckle bonkers.

B
bigboy70
troutmasta said:
Snaggers with my nuckle bonkers.

Its bad lol 7-9ft leaders with 1/0 hooks and the smallest corkies or beads.... YUP THERE BITING GOOD THIS YEAR!! clowns it sad people think that is fishing! For the most part from what I've seen as long as its hooked in the mouth the could care less how the hook got there I was told to get in on the Flossophy and said no thanks thats too much work! went up river aways and bonked a couple nice summers.