Buoy 10 help

S
sapo
I was invited by a friend to go on his boat to Buoy 10 tomorrow with him for some coho. Is the fishing still good there? I have never caught a salmon and was wondering if there were any specific rigs that worked better than others. Thanks!!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Fishing should still be good. I took a few day off to do a few things and have not fished since Sunday. The weather today isn't the best so I'll head out tomorrow and see what's up. Anchovies trolled with a helmet rig have been working very well and spinners also have been producing. My preferred coho catcher is a trolled pink hoochie with a nickel small French spinner blade. Trolling over on the Washington side above the bridge was the hot spot last week. That changes, you need to find where the fish are. Good luck

I
igquick
sapo said:
I was invited by a friend to go on his boat to Buoy 10 tomorrow with him for some coho. Is the fishing still good there? I have never caught a salmon and was wondering if there were any specific rigs that worked better than others. Thanks!!

I agree with @Irishrover on the anchovies with the helmet rig. Buoy 10 is the easiest place to catch a salmon and we have never been skunked in 10 day long sessions, but the worst trip is when we only caught 1. So hopefully his info gets your confidence really really high which is the most important in fishing. If you skunk Sapo, I'm going to throw a 20 lb carp at your face lol

B
Big3d
Wish I could help, but all I can add is good luck out there!

D
DrTheopolis
I've never done Buoy 10, but as far as estuaries go -- depends how many rods you have. Lots of people will run a herring/anchovie rig on one rod (with or without flasher/dodger), and one spinner rod, and swap them all out to whichever gets hit (and as Irishrover mentioned, learning to rig a helmet will make you a happier and more effective fisherman, and even reduces the bait bill -- win/win). If you have 3 rods or more, maybe even run a plug on one (Maglip 4.5 can be flatlined, a K11-15 can be fished with a diver), or one flasher, one without. Had recent success with a Toman spinner. Ran about a 1.5 foot sliding dropper to an 8oz (I think), but weight always depends on depth and current, then about the same/slightly longer leader to a (Shortbus) flasher, then about 3-4 feet to the spinner. When you get a hit, or see a zillion fish jumping, keep trolling back through the area. Drop the rig in (without tangling it) until you feel it hot bottom, then reel up about a foot (watch the depth finder and adjust depth accordingly). Keep the angle of your line at 45 degrees or less. Don't sweat the uphill/downhill thing too much (but go the way that keeps your neighbors happy) Be patient. Slack tides are your friend.

That's about all I got.

A
autofisher
We ran green label herring or pink hoochie spinners and did very well. The fishing should still be decent with a lot of the action being further up river. Fishing is fishing though and if you're invited out, take the shot. You never know, it could turn out to be an epic day of fishing.