Wish me luck... gunna bank it on the Slaw

R
rippin fish lips
I know some okay areas on the jetties and rocks. And on some docks. I will be leaving at 5am? maybe a little earlier. It's going be a full day trip. Debating on if i should bring the waders... Probably will.

It would be fun to no net a fish on the rocks, but that is intense. I will bring my net, but i never catch anything big when i have the net... But hey, you never know! I don't feel like banging the fish up on the rocks.

Going to cast some spinners and maybe try some spoons... #3s - #5s Got some Steelhead roe, berries are unusually PLUMP on them. Going on the crazy side... Going to throw on the 10lb line, on maybe the 7'6" okuma ultra lite action (feel like testing its strength).

I know its heating up on the slaw, i know its not the best bankin river for the fallies.
I just wanan get into some fish!! What do you guys think??

Lemme know if u will be out there!

L
lilsalmon
Good luck!!!!

N
nwkiller
good luck man, i have a few buddies that will bekilling it down there, i heard the seals have been kicking aZZ....might want to run some heavier line 15#-30#...or youl have no chance on a monster chinook, the way the seals been doing

F
Finneus Polebender
Go get em think they will be in with every high tide and rain cycle now

R
rippin fish lips
nwkiller said:
good luck man, i have a few buddies that will bekilling it down there, i heard the seals have been kicking aZZ....might want to run some heavier line 15#-30#...or youl have no chance on a monster chinook, the way the seals been doing

I went to the coast one afternon to count seals, i saw over 50 in one lil cove by the crabbing dock.

J
JeannaJigs
definitely NOT the place to fool around with ultra light gear no matter how fun it is. It will end in tragedy. Those rocks by the jetties are freaking crawling with sea lions and seals. I noticed the rocks moving and realized what it was. It's their permanent residence too.

N
nwkiller
yup, and they are so on point this weekend, never seen it this bad....heard a story today from my buddy who was down there, he had to get his fish on a plane just to get it to the bank with a seal beating it up all the way in. aint doin that with ten pound test....trust me, ull be thankful

R
rippin fish lips
JeannaJigs said:
definitely NOT the place to fool around with ultra light gear no matter how fun it is. It will end in tragedy. Those rocks by the jetties are freaking crawling with sea lions and seals. I noticed the rocks moving and realized what it was. It's their permanent residence too.

Haha yeah true that! I noticed that to! still gunna give it a shot with the 10lb tho :p Set 1 pole with a float set up, got 2 rigged up with hardware. got 25lb braid withmy float set up and 15lb leader. Im sure ill lose a fish to the 10lb test, but its gunna be worth it. The adreniline rush that is... Hope the seals bother other ppl and not me :p

Can u fish all along 126? by the dairy hole?

R
RunWithSasquatch
rippin fish lips said:
Haha yeah true that! I noticed that to! still gunna give it a shot with the 10lb tho :p Set 1 pole with a float set up, got 2 rigged up with hardware. got 25lb braid withmy float set up and 15lb leader. Im sure ill lose a fish to the 10lb test, but its gunna be worth it. The adreniline rush that is... Hope the seals bother other ppl and not me :p

If you just want to listen to your drag click, should just hook your rig on to your buddies car a let him race around a parking-lot for you.

Little unethical to use 10lb leader in that application.

Just sayin.;)

F
Finneus Polebender
Think youd be casting into an armada one of the most beaten spots on the slaw. Lots of great bank spots up river once the fish are further up and coming in numbers.

J
JeannaJigs
rippin fish lips said:

The seals WILL bother you, it's fact. There's no bank access pretty much from florence docks at bridgeport to mapleton docks. Siuslaw tidewater is not bank maggot friendly. It sucks.

RunWithSasquatch said:
If you just want to listen to your drag click, should just hook your rig on to your buddies car a let him race around a parking-lot for you.

Just sayin.;)

Word, yo. Plus, just a reminder not sure which day you were planning on fishing it but ho season closes today, so if you hook a native ho and tire the crap out of it with your 10 pound to get it in, and retention is closed, you just gave that fish the death penalty unecessarily. Just a thought.

Finneus Polebender said:
Think youd be casting into an armada one of the most beaten spots on the slaw. Lots of great bank spots up river once the fish are further up and coming in numbers.

x2 From the town of Tide up has some epic fishing oppurtunities, and the fish ARE in, in very good numbers, there was a big push upriver after that rain.

Alllll things to ponder and take into consideration, whilst bank maggoting it up in the hunt for the elusive salmonids.

D
Drew9870
I'd use the heaviest line you can get out there with (cast), wouldn't recommend less than 25-30lb, I just use Clear or Green Big Game when I respool line 25lb+, it holds up, and it is wallet friendly enough to replace it every month if you put enough wear and tear on it. I also use it in 50lb for Sturgeon and Bottom Fishing/Cliff Fishing for Lings.

If you do bump up the line, bump up to a #5-6 Blue Fox.

N
nwkiller
runwithsasquatch said:
if you just want to listen to your drag click, should just hook your rig on to your buddies car a let him race around a parking-lot for you.

Just sayin.;)

lmao

N
nwkiller
What happened..........?

E
eugene1
Dude, use bigger line. If you bring that 10# set up, you know a big old nook is going to bust you off!

You can fish from the landing at Tiernan for free. It is between Mapleton and Florence.

good luck,

Last edited:
N
nwkiller
???bump???

R
rippin fish lips
Lmao u guys r funny!! Yeah i made another post about that trip... so unccessfull. was just kinds foolin around with to light of gear!!! Ended up casting 30lb braid with spinners, got nothing but some seals chasing salmon. One guy landed a 20lbr on 12 lb test #5 spinner and an 8'6 rod! I was too underated for bank fishing on the slaw, but when trolling.. thats a oifferent story!!